Associate Professor - Faculty Director of M.S. in Business Analytics Program (STEM)
Professor Xiao Ma chaired the 18th Annual Big XII+ MIS Research Symposium of 2022 at the C.T. Bauer College of Business, University of Houston. The symposium attracted record numbers of scholarly presenters and participants from the Information Systems (MIS) and Business Analytics (BZAN) disciplines of the business schools at universities loosely aligned with the Big 12 athletic conference. This event is featured by the Bauer News, see HERE for more details.
Xiao Ma considers himself as part of the MIS and BZAN faculty groups and continues to grow as a "boundary spanner" crossing the areas of operations management and healthcare research. Xiao is a two-time Best Associate Editor (AE) Award recipient of ICIS, the premier conference of the Association for Information Systems. He graduated with a Ph.D. in Business from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, concentrating on Information Systems and Analytics. Xiao's latest research focuses on healthcare analytics, natural experiments by which to reveal implications of digital systems design change, artificial intelligence, and (transfer) deep-learning architectures, exploring how these methods can benefit research in business analytics both theoretically and managerially. His research has appeared in premier IS and IM journals, including Information Systems Research, Journal of Management Information Systems, Decision Sciences, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, and International Journal of Information Management.
Xiao received the UH President and Provost's recognized 50-in-5 Faculty Achievement Honor for his recent journal publications with high impact in 2021 (featured in the Bauer College, Latest News). He received tenure from UH in 2021. He also received the Lucile and Leroy Melcher Excellence in Research Award, and the Dr. Ben Ostrofsky Research Award in Outstanding MIS Research from the Bauer College of Business, University of Houston, in 2020. He was awarded the Best AE Award by ICIS in 2016 and 2020. Xiao has been an honored member of the Editorial Review Board of the Production and Operations Management journal, and he currently serves the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Management Information Systems.
I invite you to visit my professional profile page. Simply click this LINK
- Quantitative research
- Design science paradigm
- Healthcare analytics
- Online Platforms
- Economics of IS
- Online digital labor market
- Artificial intelligence
- Machine learning
- Deep-learning for novel feature extraction
- Natural experiments, digital systems design change
- Methodological issues in IS research
Areas of Expertise
- Online Platforms
- Healthcare analytics
- Deep learning
- Online gambling behavior
- Disruptive IT
- Online labor marketplace
- Online communities
- Knowledge sharing and contribution
- Econometric modeling of panel data analysis
- Theory development
- Artificial intelligence
- Machine learning in business problem-solving
- 11. Nwafor, O., Ma, X., Johnson, N.A., Singh, R., and Aron, R. (2023). Differential Impacts of Technology-Network Structures on Cost Efficiency: Knowledge Spillovers in Healthcare. Journal of Management Information Systems, 40(3), 840-882. DOI: 10.1080/07421222.2023.2229126.
- 10. Hou, J. and Ma, X. (2022). Space Norms for Constructing Quality Reviews on Online Consumer Review Sites. Information Systems Research, 33(3), 1093-1112. DOI: 10.1287/isre.2022.1102.
- 9. Nwafor, O., Ma, X., Hou, J., and Johnson, N. (2022). Online Communities and Discontinuance of Information Technology-Enabled On-Demand Workers: Impacts of Informal Social Interactions Through Dual Commitments. International Journal of Information Management, 66(October), 102540, 1-14. 2022 Journal Impact Factor: 18.96. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2022.102540.
- 8. Ma, X., Kuem, J., Hou, J., Khansa, L., and Zhu, Z. (2021). Are All Contributions Equal? Investigating the Role of Community Participation in Crowdwork. Decision Sciences, 52(6), 1282-1325. DOI: 10.1111/deci.12471.
- 7. Kwak, D.-H., Ma, X., and Kim, S. (2021). When Does Social Desirability Become a Problem? Detection and Reduction of Social Desirability Bias in Information Systems Research. Information & Management, 58(7), 103500. 2021 Journal Impact Factor: 10.3. DOI: 10.1016/j.im.2021.103500.
featured in the Bauer College, Latest News
- 6. Hou, J.*, Kim, K.*, Kim, S.*, and Ma, X.* (2019). Disrupting Unwanted Habits in Online Gambling Through Information Technology. Journal of Management Information Systems, 36(4), 1213-1247. (*Authors contributed equally). DOI: 10.1080/07421222.2019.1661088.
- 5. Ma, X., Khansa, L., and Kim, S.S. (2018). Active Community Participation and Crowdworking Turnover: A Longitudinal Model and Empirical Test of Three Mechanisms. Journal of Management Information Systems, 35(4), 1154-1187. DOI: 10.1080/07421222.2018.1523587.
- 4. Kwak, D., Ma, X., Polites, G., Srite, M., Hightower, R., and Haseman, W. (2019). Cross-Level Moderation of Team Cohesion in Individuals' Utilitarian and Hedonic Information Processing: Evidence in the Context of Team-based Gamified Training. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 20(2), 161-185. DOI: 10.17705/1jais.00532.
- 3. Khansa, L., Ma, X., Liginlal, D., and Kim, S.S. (2015). Understanding Members' Active Participation in Online Question-and-Answer Communities: A Theory and Empirical Analysis. Journal of Management Information Systems, 32(2), 162-203. DOI: 10.1080/07421222.2015.1063293.
- 2. Ma, X., Kim, S.H., and Kim, S.S. (2014). Online Gambling Behavior: The Impacts of Cumulative Outcomes, Recent Outcomes, and Prior Use. Information Systems Research, 25(3), 511-527. DOI: 10.1287/isre.2014.0517.
- 1. Ma, X., Khansa, L., Deng, Y., and Kim, S.S. (2014). Impact of Prior Reviews on the Subsequent Review Process in Reputation Systems. Journal of Management Information Systems, 30(3), 279-310. DOI: 10.2753/MIS0742-1222300310.
- Punished for Success? A Natural Experiment. Revise & Resubmit at a premier IS journal
- Clean But No Thanks? Impact of Information Disclosure on Restaurant Demand. Revise & Resubmit at a premier IS journal
Academic Associations & Editorial BoardsProduction and Operations Management (Editorial Review Board)
- BZAN 6360/6361 - Capstone Practicum for Business Analytics
- BZAN 7397s - Business Analytics Capstone Practicum courses
- MIS 839x - Ph.D. Research Practicum
- BZAN 6357 - Business Analysis Frameworks and Methods
- BZAN 6355 - Advanced Programming for Big Data Analytics
- MIS 7397 - Select Topics in MIS: Predictive Analytics (Business Intelligence)
Ph.D. Information Systems, University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.A. Media Studies, Syracuse University
B.A., Communications, Nanjing University (China)