Professor - Department Chairperson/ JPMorgan Chase Professor of International Business
Steve Werner is the JPMorgan Chase Professor of International Business and Chair of the Management & Leadership Department. He received his Ph.D. in Management from the University of Florida. His research focuses on various human resource managment issues, particularly compensation and international HRM. He has published in academic and practitioner publications such as Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management, International Journal of Human Resource Management,Journal of Management Studies,Organizational Research Methods Journal of Business Research, Human Relations, Human Resource Management Review, Journal of International Management, British Journal of Management, International Business Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Worldatwork Journal, ACA Journal, Compensation and Benefits Review and the Columbia Journal of World Business, among others. He has served as an elected member of the Executive Committee of the Human Resource Division of the Academy of Management. He is on the editorial boards of The Journal of Management, Human Resource Management Journal, The International Journal of Human Resource Management, and Human Resource Management Review.
Dr. Werner has taught courses at the undergraduate, masters, or doctoral level in compensation administration, compensation system design, human resource management, organizational power and politics, international human resource management, industrial relations, research methods in management, and international management. Dr. Werner 's comments have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Houston Chronicle, DBA Houston Magazine, ESPN Magazine,and in the Houston Business Journal, among others. He has been a consultant to a number of larger and smaller firms and organizations on various aspects of compensation and human resource management. His clients include KMPG, Conoco, and the State of Texas. He has also advised a number of compensation consulting firms, and has been an expert witness. He is a member of the Academy of Management, Society for Human Resource Management, and the Academy of International Business.
- Incentive rewards
- Pay equity
- Pay administration
- International HRM
- Managerial Pay
- Fairness issues
- Balkin, D., & Werner, S. In Press. Theorizing the Relationship Between Discretionary Employee Benefits and Individual Performance. Human Resource Management Review.
- Werner, S., & Sebastijanovic, M. (2021). Neutralizing the Zoombies: How to Eradicate Video Meeting Fatigue. Workspan (November 17, 2021).
- Werner, S., and Balkin, D. 2021. Strategic Benefits: How Employee Benefits can Create a Sustainable Competitive Edge. Journal of Total Rewards, Q1: 8-22.
- Tawse, A., Atwater, L., Vera, D., & Werner, S. 2020. Strategy implementation capability: the role of middle manager leadership and coordination. Academy of Management Proceedings.
- Balkin, D. B., & Werner, S. 2019. The Employee Benefits and Performance Relationship: An Organization Support Theory Perspective. Academy of Management Proceedings.
- Greene, J., Mero, N., & Werner, S. 2018. The negative effects of job embeddedness on performance. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 33(1), 58-73.
- Kim, K.Y.,Longacre, T., and Werners, S. 2017. The Effects of Multi-level Signals on Sex Discrimination Experiences Among Female Employees. Human Resource Management, 56(6): 995-1013.
- Werner, S. 2017. Adapting Total Rewards to Industry Factors: The Case of the Oil and Gas Industry. WorldatWork Journal, 26(4): 6-15.
- Werners, S., Kuiate, C.S., Noland, T., and Francia, A. 2016. Benefits and Strategic Outcomes: Are Supplemental Retirement Plans and Safer Driving Related in the U.S. Trucking Industry? Human Resource Management, 55(5):885-900.
- Vera, D., Nemanich, L., Velez-Castrillon, S., and Werner, S. 2016. Knowledge-Based and Contextual Factors Associated with R&D Teams' Improvisation Capability. Journal of Management, 42(7): 1874-1903
- Kim, K.Y, Pathak, S., and Werner, S. 2015. When do International Human Capital Enhancing Practices Benefit the Bottom Line?: An Ability, Motivation, and Opportunity Perspective. Journal of International Business Studies, 46: 784-805.
- Balkin, D.B., Roussel, P., and Werner, S. 2015. Performance Contingent Pay and Autonomy: Implications for Rewarding Extra-Role Creativity. Human Resource Management Review, 25(4): 384-395.
- Werner, S. 2015. Research for the Real World: Ways Benefits Can Attract Employees. Workspan, July: 12-13.
- Vera, D., Crossan, M, Rerup, C., and Werner, S. 2014. "Thinking Before Acting" or "Acting Before Thinking": Antecedents of Individual Action Propensity in Work Situations. Journal of Management Studies, 51(4): 603-633.
- Park, J.H., Abbott, J.A., and Werner, S. 2014. A Perspective-Taking Model for Global Assignments. Journal of Global Mobility, 2(3): 280-297.
- Werner, S. 2014. How to Maximize the Value of Evidence-Based Decision Making and Minimize the Costs. WorldatWork Journal, 23(2): 19-28.
- Mero, N.P., Guidice, R.M., and Werner, S. 2014. A Field Study of the Antecedents and Performance Consequences of Perceived Accountability. Journal of Management, 40(6): 1627-1652.
- Werner, S., & Werner, N. 2012. Compensation Professionals Should Know About 10 Recent Academic Studies. WorldatWork Journal, 21(4): 1-13.
- Werner, S. 2011. High Performance Work Systems in the Global Context: A Commentary Essay. Journal of Business Research, Vol. 64 Issue 8: 919-921.
- Aguinis, H., Werner, S., Abbott, J.A., Angert, C., Park, J. H. & Kohlhausen, D. Customer-centric Science: Reporting Significant Research Results with Rigor, Relevance, and Practical Impact in Mind. Organizational Research Methods, 13: 515-539. 
- Werner, S., & Werner, N. Three Indications Your Company Has Performance Management Issues. Workspan, 53 (4): 36-41. 
- Jackson, S.E., Schuler, R.S., & Werner, S. 2018. Managing Human Resources, 12th Edition. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Werner, S., Inkpen, A., and Moffett, M. (2016). Managing Human Resources in the Oil and Gas Industry. Tulsa, OK: Pennwell.
- Gomez-Mejia, L.R., and Werner, S. (Editors) Global Compensation: Foundations and Perspectives. London, UK: Routledge. 
- Werner, S. (Editor). Managing Human Resources in North America. Routledge 
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Journal of Management
- Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Management Review
- International Journal of Human Resource Management
- Mana 8345 Seminar in Management Research
- Mana 7358 Compensation and Benefits
- Mana 7336 Human Resource Management
- Mana 7346 Global Human Resource Management
- Mana 7353 Regional Issues in Global Management
- Mana 6332 Organizational Behavior
University of Florida
San Jose State University
San Jose State University