Dr. Pirrong previously was the Watson Family Professor of Commodity and Financial Risk Management, and Associate Professor of Finance at Oklahoma State University. He joined the faculty of the Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston as Professor of Finance and the Energy Markets Director for Gutierrez Energy Management Institute in January, 2003. He has also served on the faculty of the University of Michigan Business School, the Graduate School of Business of the University of Chicago, and the Olin School of Business of Washington University in St. Louis. He holds a Ph.D. in business economics from the University of Chicago.
Professor Pirrong's research focuses on the economics of commodity markets, the relation between market fundamentals and commodity price dynamics, and the implications of this relation for the pricing of commodity derivatives. His recent research is concentrated on the power markets. He has created a power derivatives pricing model that links observable fundamentals (e.g., temperature, loads) to power derivatives prices. Professor Pirrong has also published extensively on the economics of financial exchanges. He has published 30 articles in professional publications and is the author of three books. Professor Pirrong has consulted widely. His clients have included electric utilities, major commodity processors and consumers, and commodity exchanges around the world.
- power markets
- economics of commodity markets
- the relation between market fundamentals and commodity price dynamics, and the implications of this relation for the pricing of commodity derivatives
- Pirrong, Craig. "Just Say No To Gazprom." World Energy. [July 2007]
- Craig Pirrong "Detecting Manipulation in Futures Markets: The Ferruzzi Episode", American Law and Economics Review, Vol. 6, no. 1, pp.43
- Pirrong, Craig and Detlef Hallerman. Managing Energy Risk, vol. 1. GARP 
- Pirrong, Craig. "Lattice Approaches to Pricing Derivatives." Companion to Financial Derivatives. [forthcoming]
- Pirrong, Craig. "The Price of Power: Power and Weather Derivatives." Journal of Banking and Finance. [forthcoming]
- Pirrong, Craig. "Structural Models of Commodity Price Dynamics." Financial Risk Management in Commodity Markets. [forthcoming]
- MH 240B
- Visit Web Site
University of Chicago