Dr. Rudd has a PhD in Marketing from the Stanford Graduate School of Business. She also has a BA in Business Administration (with a specialization in Marketing) from the Michael G. Foster School of Business at the University of Washington. Dr. Rudd's research interests include the study of temporal perceptions, affect (mood and emotions), well-being, prosocial behaviors, and goal pursuit. Her research has appeared in the Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Psychology, Psychological Science, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, and the Journal of Retailing.
- Time Perception
- Affect (Emotions and Mood)
- Consumer Well-Being
- Prosocial Behaviors
- Goal Pursuit
Areas of Expertise
- Consumer Behavior
- Izadi, Anoosha, Melanie Rudd, and Vanessa M. Patrick (2019), "The Way the Wind Blows: Direction of Airflow Energizes Consumers and Fuels Creative Engagement," Journal of Retailing, 95 (4), 143-157.
- Rudd, Melanie, Rhia Catapano, and Jennifer Aaker (2019), "Making Time Matter: A Review of Research on Time and Meaning," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 29 (4), 680-702.
- Rudd, Melanie (2019), "Feeling Short on Time: Trends, Consequences, and Possible Remedies," Current Opinion in Psychology, 26, 5-10.
- Rudd, Melanie, Christian Hildebrand, and Kathleen D. Vohs (2018), "Inspired to Create: Awe Enhances Openness to Learning and the Desire for Experiential Creation," Journal of Marketing Research, 55 (5), 766-781.
- Briley, Donnel, Melanie Rudd, and Jennifer Aaker (2017), "Cultivating Optimism: How to Frame Your Future during a Health Challenge," Journal of Consumer Research.
- Rudd, Melanie, Jennifer Aaker, and Michael I. Norton (2014), "Getting the Most out of Giving: Concretely-framing a Prosocial Goal Maximizes Happiness," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 54 (September), 11-24.
- Rudd, Melanie, Kathleen D. Vohs, and Jennifer Aaker (2012), "Awe Expands People's Perception of Time, Alters Decision Making, and Enhances Well-Being," Psychological Science, 23 (10), 1130-1136.
- Aaker, Jennifer, Melanie Rudd, and Cassie Mogilner (2011), "If Money Does Not Make You Happy, Consider Time," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 21 (2), 126-130.
- MARK 4362 - Applied Buyer Behavior
PhD, Marketing, Stanford University
BA, Business Administration (Marketing), University of Washington