Alan Witt is Professor of Management & Leadership, Public Policy, and Psychology at the University of Houston. He holds a Ph.D. degree in industrial/organizational psychology from Tulane University.
He was a human resources director in the financial services sector and has consulted with public sector organizations at the local, state, and federal levels and with private sector organizations ranging from small professional firms and family-owned businesses to multi-national banks, international airlines, and multi-national telecommunications companies.
Alan has authored over 400 journal articles, chapters, government technical reports, and professional papers. He was:
- Named Fellow (2005), American Psychological Association
- Named Fellow (2005), Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- One of two UH faculty listed among the top 2% of most cited scholars in industrial and organizational psychology textbooks.
- One of 132 UH faculty listed among the most cited scholars in the world, reflecting being in the top 2% of the subfield discipline.
Alan's research focus is on strategy-cultural alignment. That is, how can leaders shape the work culture so that employee values, priorities, and behavioral norms enable successful implementation of the organization's strategy? Accordingly, his work involves several areas of management and leadership:
- Organizational Politics
- Job Attitudes/Engagement
- Health, Well-Being, Work-Family Balance, and Safety
- Justice/Fairness and Hostile/Toxic Work Environments
- Job Performance
- Customer Service
- Counterproductive Work Behavior
- Emotional Intelligence/Social Effectiveness
- Human Resources
- Methodological Issues
- 126 Heyne Bldg
- Visit Web Site
PhD, Tulane University