File a Degree Plan in Business
Students may use the form at the bottom of this page to declare or change a major in Business. This form is not to be used if you are trying to declare Pre-business. Please go to this site in order to declare Pre-business.
We are happy that you are progressing towards a degree in Business! Keep in mind that current Pre-business students must meet minimum requirements. Please see the checklist before filling out the application form to make sure you qualify. If all looks good, please fill out the form. You will be notified by email.
Checklist to Qualify
- You must be a PREBUSINESS major
- You must have a minimum 2.5 UH GPA
- Complete ENGL 1301 (formerly ENGL 1303; a prerequisite for BUSI 3302) in Section 1
- Complete the Business Administration and Management Field of Study requirements with a "C" or higher in Section 2
- Complete or be enrolled in BUSI 3302 (prerequisite: ENGL 1301) in Section 3
- Clear the Business Writing Evaluation (BWE) - students who meet all filing requirements except the BWE are allowed to file and have a one-semester exception to re-take the BWE (re-takes are given in the fall and spring semesters; instructions are sent to students needing a re-take during the first week of the fall and spring semesters
Explanation of Catalog Year Degree Plans
The catalog year for your degree plan is the catalog year when you started at UH, or based on the transfer coursework you have taken and when you started at a Texas public two- or four-year institution with continuous enrollment. If there are changes to requirements for the B.B.A. (the program) and/or your major (the plan), your requirements will default to the B.B.A. program and major plan requirements in effect for the semester/year that you declare a specific major plan in business or add a second major plan. If that change impacts B.B.A. program requirements by adding hours to the degree to the program at the time you started and you meet the guidelines below, consult your major-specific Advisor to petition for approval for waivers with substitution of the following: Calculus for an Advanced Elective (Fall 2018 and Fall 2019 plans) and COMM 1FOS for MARK 3337 (Fall 2018 plan); however, note that MARK 3337 is required of Marketing majors regardless of plan. If you petition for waivers with substitution, your major Advisor will use the decision tree below to make a determination if you qualify. For questions about which catalog year for your degree plan you should follow, consult with your Academic Advisor.
Decision tree to determine the appropriate catalog year for your degree plan:
- Fall 2020 or later Plans: If you have not taken calculus — MATH 1325 or MATH 2413 (formerly MATH 1314 or MATH 1431) — then follow the Fall 2020 or later plans (they have the same requirements except for requirements for the Marketing major effective Fall 2022, if you file for either one of these after their effective dates).
- Fall 2019 Plan (expires Summer 2026): If you have taken calculus — MATH 1325 or MATH 2413 (formerly MATH 1314 or MATH 1431) — and you started at a two- or four-year public institution in Texas prior to Fall 2020 and have been continuously enrolled since then (without a break of 13 months or more), then you may follow the Fall 2019 plan (except for requirements for the Marketing major effective Fall 2022, if you file for either one of these after their effective dates). Students under this plan must graduate by Summer 2026.
- Fall 2018 Plan (expires Summer 2025): If you have taken calculus — MATH 1325 or MATH 2413 (formerly MATH 1314 or MATH 1431) — and you started at a two- or four-year public institution in Texas prior to Fall 2019 and have been continuously enrolled since then (without a break of 13 months or more), then you may follow the Fall 2018 plan (except for requirements for the Marketing major effective Fall 2022, if you file for either one of these after their effective dates) if you meet the following conditions:
- you have credit for both COMM 1FOS (SPCH 1321 or SPCH 1315) and PSYC 1300/SOC 1300; and
- you have taken one or more of the following at UH to avoid violating the 66 hour lower-level transfer course rule: INTB 3354 (instead of BUSI 1301), STAT 3331 (instead of BUSI 2305), or at least one other lower-level course required for the BBA.
- You will graduate by Summer 2025
- FINA & SCM majors must have credit for STAT 3331 (with a grade of C or higher for SCM majors) under all plans as a prerequisite for 4000-level FINA and SCM courses.
- BUSI 2305 is a prerequisite for STAT 3331.
- For all other majors under all plans, BUSI 2305 or STAT 3331 meets the business statistics requirement to file a degree plan.
- Students may not mix and match requirements from different catalog years.
Degree Plan Filing Requirements
UH course numbers in the process of changing to the Texas Common Course Numbers (TCCN)
Completion of ENGL 1301 (formerly ENGL 1303; a prerequisite for BUSI 3302)
Completion of Business Administration & Management Field of Study (BAMFS) courses with a grade of 'C' or higher (unless transferring BAMFS complete)
- BUSI 1301 (formerly INTB 3354)
- BCIS 1305 (formerly MIS 3300)
- MATH 1324 (formerly MATH 1313)
- ACCT 2301 (formerly ACCT 2331)
- ACCT 2302 (formerly ACCT 2332)
- ECON 2301 (formerly ECON 2305)
- ECON 2302 (formerly ECON 2304)
- BUSI 2305 (with C or higher) or STAT 3331 (with a passing grade except for the SCM major, which requires a C or higher)
Completion or Enrollment (in the current or upcoming semester) in BUSI 3302
- BUSI 3302 (formerly GENB 3302)
If you have completed the qualifications, you are ready to submit! If you reach an error when submitting your application or have any questions, please contact your advisor.
- Business Majors
- Business Minors
- Bauer College at UH at Sugar Land
- Online BBA Inquiry
- Choosing a Major
- Accelerated Programs
- Emerging Leaders Academic Success Program
- Bauer Honors
- Bauer Ambassadors
- Community Outreach
- Strength Series
- Events Calendar
- Bauer in D.C. Fellowship
- Future Careers
Undergraduate Business Programs
ELASP for Transfers Fall 2022 Application
Questions about ELASP:
Emerging Leaders Academic Success Program
C. T. Bauer College of Business
University of Houston
334 Melcher Hall Room 262
Houston, TX 77204-6021
334 Melcher Hall, Room 262
Houston, TX 77204-6021