Frequently Asked Questions

Applicant Qualification

Can I do it part time or online?

No. The Ph.D. program at Bauer is a full-time program.

How many years does it take to earn a Ph.D.?

Most of our doctoral students complete the program in five years. Occasionally, we have students graduating in four or six years.

Must I have a bachelor’s degree to enter the Ph.D. program?

Yes. You must have a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university if you received your education in the United States. If you are an international applicant, your undergraduate degree must be the equivalent of a U.S. four-year bachelor's degree. If you have completed a three-year Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) degree from India or Pakistan, we also require that you have completed the Master of Commerce (M.Com) degree or equivalent post-graduate degree. For specifics on International requirements, you may contact the International Admissions Office.

I only have a bachelor’s degree. Can I apply without having done graduate work?

Yes. Although the average applicant has completed some studies at the graduate level prior to application, such work is not a prerequisite for admission. If you have a bachelor’s degree in fields such as economics, mathematics, business, psychology, engineering, or physics, you may be well prepared to do a Ph.D. at the Bauer College of Business.

What undergraduate major is required?

No particular undergraduate major is required in order to pursue the Ph.D. Past students have varied backgrounds when entering the program. You can find out more about what we look for.

My degrees are from outside the United States, do I need to have my transcript evaluated by an independent service such as World Education Services (WES) or National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)?


What is the usual profile of an admitted Ph.D. applicant?

Ph.D. applicants are admitted on the basis of past academic performance. Last year, the typical accepted doctoral student had a GMAT score of 680+ (or parallel score on the GRE).

How important is my work experience in the admission decision?

Professional experience is not required for admission.

Can I apply as a transfer student from a Ph.D. program at a different university?

All applicants must complete an application with all the required materials before the deadline, regardless of their status at another school.

Do I need to have academic publications to be admitted?

No. It is rare for a Ph.D. applicant to already have high-quality academic publications.

Financial Aid

Does Bauer offer financial aid to Ph.D. students?

All Bauer College of Business Ph.D. programs offer a generous package of financial aid to accepted applicants who agree to take on the half-time responsibilities of Graduate Assistant. You can find more information on the “Financial Aid” page.

As an applicant, do I need to find a faculty advisor to sponsor my financial aid in order receive financial aid in the program?

No. Our Ph.D. students are funded by the Bauer College of Business, its departments, and the Graduate School, not by individual faculty.

Does Bauer accept self-funded Ph.D. students?

We occasionally accept self-funded Ph.D. students (e.g., in the fields such as Finance and Management & Leadership). That said, most of the students admitted into the Ph.D. program receive financial aid up to five years in the form of fellowship, research and teaching assistantship, and tuition waiver. If you need more specific information regarding self-funding, please contact the Ph.D. coordinator of your intended field of study.

Application Materials

What materials must be sent in support of an application to the Ph.D. program?

Applications to the Ph.D. program are now completely online.

Please complete the UH Doctoral Application online and pay the appropriate application fees.

See the “Application Process” page for details.

Is the statement of purpose important?

Yes. It is a very important component of your application. We are looking for evidence that the applicant understands the nature of the selected Ph.D. program, can articulate scholarly intentions that fit with the current research interests of current faculty, and is academically prepared to successfully undertake the quantitative demands of the program.

This is, in many ways, the most important aspect of an application. We have rejected many applications from individuals with excellent academic credentials who write a statement of purpose that is vague, generic, or otherwise poorly written. Thus, superior academic qualifications (i.e., grades, GMAT/GRE scores) are necessary but not sufficient criteria for admissions.

Who should write letters of recommendations?

We look for letters of recommendations written by former professors, academic advisors, department chairs, etc. Non-academic letters are not very informative of your potential academic performance. Do not send letters written by friends, co-workers, etc. They carry no useful information to us. We'll give more weight to letters written by professors that taught you or worked with you at your more recent school. Again, make sure that the letters of recommendation arrive at the Bauer College of Business by the application deadline.

What is the minimum acceptable grade point average (GPA)?

There is no minimum GPA requirement, but good performance improves the chance of admission.

Can I submit my unofficial transcript for admission review purpose?

You may upload a scanned copy of the official transcript for early evaluation purpose. However, to receive the official offer of admission, we must have your official transcript. See this page for more details. Any discrepancy between the uploaded transcript and the official transcript could result in the denial of your application or withdrawal of your offer of admission.

Can you waive the application fees?

Application fee waiver is very uncommon. But there are exceptions. See this page for more information.


Do you require the GMAT/GRE score?

Applicants must take either the GMAT or GRE. This cannot be waived. There are no exceptions. While there is no minimum test score requirement, good performance improves the chance of admission. The median GMAT score of our current doctoral students is 680.

If I take the GMAT/GRE more than once, are my scores averaged?

No. The admissions decision will be based on your highest score. Scores cannot be older than five years.

I've taken the GMAT/GRE more than once. Can I submit components from various testing dates?

No. Component GMAT/GRE scores must be reported from the same test.

What if my official GMAT/GRE scores arrive after the deadline?

We must have your official GMAT/GRE score to issue the official admission offer. ETS generally takes 12-15 working days to send the scores. Any delay in official score will delay the admission process. So please plan accordingly.

How long does it take for UH to receive my scores?

Usually, official scores will be reported to UH four weeks after you take the test.

What is the GMAT/GRE/TOEFL code for the University of Houston?

UH code for GMAT is XT1-26-69. (It is listed under University of Houston - University Park.). The code for GRE or TOEFL is 6870.

TOEFL, IETLS, Duolingo

Is the TOEFL or equivalent required for foreign applicants?

TOEFL or equivalent is required for all foreign applicants, except for those who earned a college degree (Bachelor’s, Master's, or Doctoral) from the countries in this list. TOEFL scores may not be more than 2 years old.

Do you accept IETLS or Duolingo score as an alternative to TOEFL?

Yes. Alternative tests such as IELTS or Duolingo test are accepted.

What is the minimum TOEFL/IETLS/Duolingo score required for admission?

The minimum TOEFL/IETLS/Duolingo score can be found here.

I'm a foreign student studying in the U.S., but haven't received my degree yet, can TOEFL be waived?

If you are going to earn a college degree in the U.S. (Bachelor’s, Master's, or Doctoral) before enrollment in our Ph.D. program (August), TOEFL can be waived. Without earning a college degree in this list of countries, TOEFL cannot be waived.

Must I also take the TWE (Test of Written English)?

No, it is not required for admission.

My education was completed overseas, but I am now a U.S. citizen. Can the TOEFL be waived?

No. Whether you are a U.S. citizen (or permanent resident) is not the issue. You must take the TOEFL unless you have completed a previous academic degree from the countries in this list.

If I take the TOEFL more than once, are my scores averaged?

No. We consider only your highest score.

I completed an ESL program with UH. Does the certificate allow me to waive the TOEFL?



What is the application deadline for the Ph.D. program?

Applications open in September each year.

We encourage early applications. All programs start to review applications after January 15 on a rolling basis. Late applications and applications not completed by the deadline will be reviewed on a space-available basis. If you are considering a late application, please email the Ph.D. coordinator of your intended field of study. Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to admission status inquiries.

Are applications to the Ph.D. program accepted for Spring semester?

Most departments accept only for Fall semesters, although it is occasionally possible to apply for a spring semester.

Do you consider late applications?

Each field of study individually makes the decision of whether to evaluate late applications or applications not completed by the deadline. If you are considering a late application, please email the Ph.D. coordinator of your field. The contact information of each Ph.D. coordinator can be found here.

Admission Decision

Is an interview required?

No. We do, however, call some applicants that we feel are strong candidates (that is, applicants who have passed an initial screen of their credentials). Accordingly, we ask that applicants refrain from attempting to schedule an interview or visit until a completed application has been received and evaluated. After initial review, some of the promising applicants will be contacted by one of our faculty to talk about their interest in our Ph.D. program.

Should I talk to the Ph.D. Coordinator to present my case for admission?

No. There is no need to call any member of Bauer College once your application has been sent. Your application should speak for itself.

Can I request feedback on my application prior to admission decisions?

The admissions committee or faculty cannot offer feedback on individual applications.

Can I request feedback on my application if I am not offered admission?

The admissions committee or faculty cannot offer feedback on individual applications.

I was not accepted. Can you reconsider your admission decision?

No. All admission decisions are final. Conditional admissions are also not possible.

One of my letters of recommendation did not get to Bauer College in time. I was rejected. Can you add the new letter to my file and reconsider the application?

No. The Bauer College will not reconsider any application once it has already been evaluated. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that all the required and supporting materials get to Bauer College by the application deadline.

Accepted Students

How do students get health insurance?

Doctoral students have two options for health insurance: they may purchase their own insurance, or they may enroll in the university-endorsed insurance. UH System Policy states that international students with "F" or "J" visa status are required to be covered under the UH System-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan or have equivalent health insurance coverage, regardless of the number of credit hours taken. At the time of registration, the student will automatically be enrolled in the mandatory UHS-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) and will be charged for the coverage period on their student financial account. UH Main International students with "F" or "J" visa status may request a waiver of coverage based on the UH System's waiver criteria. For more information, visit

Is there an orientation for accepted applicants?

Yes. There is a one-day Bauer college orientation for entering doctoral students, which provides useful information about registration and how to set up accounts, among various other topics. There is also a week-long preparatory class in statistics and econometrics. Both orientation and preparatory class are held in the first half of August.

What kind of graduate student housing is available?

We offer an on-campus housing facility called the University Lofts. It is the newest residential facility on the campus. Here is a link for more information about University Lofts, as well as other residential life and housing information for the university: Affordable housing can also be found in many off-campus neighborhoods.

Do doctoral students get computer equipment from the college?

The department that house each field of study provides laptop or desktop computers for all new students.

Do doctoral students get funding for attending conferences?

The College has an approval process to subsidize doctoral students’ travel. Each department has separate funding to support doctoral students for conference attendance or presentation.