Associate Professor - Conn Fellow, Marketing PhD Coordinator
Ye Hu is Associate Professor of Marketing and Conn Fellow at the C. T. Bauer College of Business, University of Houston. He holds a Ph.D. in Marketing from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and a B.E. in Economics, B.Sc. in Automotive Engineering from Tsinghua University.
Dr. Hu's recent research focuses on leveraging Internet search data to study how consumers respond to marketing mix dynamically. He was the finalist for the Paul E. Green Award of Journal of Marketing Research in 2005. His paper was awarded the Journal of Advertising Research best paper in 2007. His paper received the American Marketing Association Advanced Research Techniques Forum best paper award in 2014. His papers have appeared in Journal of Marketing Research, Marketing Letters, Journal of Advertising Research, Journal of Retailing, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Management Science, Customer Needs and Solutions, and Strategic Management Journal.
An enthusiastic instructor, he received teaching awards from both Purdue University and the University of Houston.
Honors and Awards
- Highest Teaching Evaluation at the Bauer College of Business, Spring 2017 (Pricing Strategy)
- Bauer G.R.E.A.T. Excellence in Teaching Award, 2016, Best instructor of the Global Energy Management EMBA Program, voted by the Woodlands GEMBA class I (Statistics)
- Robinson Fellowship, Bauer College of Business, University of Houston, 2015-
- Best Paper, American Marketing Association Advanced Research Techniques Forum, 2014
- Excellence in Reviewing, Journal of Interactive Marketing, 2013
- Lucile and Leroy Melcher Excellence in Research Award, C. T. Bauer College of Business, 2012
- Best Paper Award, Journal of Advertising Research, 2008
- Krannert Distinguished Teacher, Purdue University, Spring 2005, 2007
- Purdue Center of International Business Education and Research Research Grant, 2006
- Finalist, Paul E. Green Award, 2005
- AMA-Sheth Doctoral Consortium Fellow, University of Minnesota, 2003
- Digital marketing
- Conjoint analysis
Areas of Expertise
- Marketing analytics
- Applied Bayesian statistics
- Dynamic linear models
- Conjoint analysis
- Automotive industry
- Ren, Charlotte, Ye Hu, and Tony Haitao Cui (2019), "Responses to Rival Exit: Product Variety, Market Expansion, and Preexisting Market Structure," Strategic Management Journal, 40 (2), 253-276. [Equal Authorship]
- Damangir, Sina, Leonard Lodish, and Ye Hu (2018), "Uncovering Patterns of Product Co-Consideration: A Case Study of Online Vehicle Price Quote Request Data," Journal of Interactive Marketing, 42 (3), 1-17.
- Krieger, Abba, Leonard Lodish, and Ye Hu (2016), "An Integrated Procedure to Pretest and Select Advertising Campaigns for TV," Customer Needs and Solutions, 3 (2), 81-93.
- Du, Rex Yuxing, Ye Hu, and Sina Damangir (2015), "Leveraging Trends in Online Searches for Product Features in Market Response Modeling," Journal of Marketing, 79 (1), 29-43. (Best Paper at the American Marketing Association Advanced Research Techniques Forum 2014)
- Hu, Ye, Rex Yuxing Du, and Sina Damangir (2014), "Decomposing the Impact of Advertising: Augmenting Sales with Online Search Data,"Journal of Marketing Research, 51 (3) 300-319.
- Oh, Yun Kyung, Ye Hu, Xin Wang, William T. Robinson (2013), "How Do External Reference Prices Influence Online Gift Giving?" International Journal of Electronic Marketing and Retailing, 5 (4), 359-371.
- Ren, Charlotte R., Ye Hu, Yu Jeffrey Hu and Jerry Hausman (2011), "Managing Product Variety and Collocation in a Competitive Environment: An Empirical Investigation of Consumer Electronics Retailing," Management Science, 57 (6), 1009-1024.
- Hu, Ye, and Xinxin Li (2011), "Context-Dependent Product Evaluations: An Empirical Analysis of Internet Book Reviews," Journal of Interactive Marketing, 25 (3), 123-133. [Equal Authorship]
- Lam, Son K., Michael Ahearne, Ye Hu, and Niels Schillewaert (2010), "Resistance to Brand Switching When a Radically New Brand Is Introduced: A Social Identity Theory Perspective," Journal of Marketing, 74 (6), 128-146.
- Hu, Ye and Xin Wang (2010), "Country-of-Origin Premiums for Retailers in International Trades: Evidence from eBay's International Markets," Journal of Retailing, 86 (2), 200-207.
- Wang, Xin and Ye Hu (2009), "The Effect of Experience on Internet Auction Bidding Dynamics,"Marketing Letters, 20 (3), 245-261.
- Hu, Ye, Lenonard M. Lodish, Abba Krieger, and Babak Hayati (2009), "An Update of Real-World TV Advertising Tests," Journal of Advertising Research, 49 (2), 29-34.
- Hu, Ye, Leonard M. Lodish, and Abba Krieger (2007), "A Meta-Analysis of Real World TV Advertising Tests: A 15-Year Update," Journal of Advertising Research, 47(3), 341-353. (Journal of Advertising Research Best Paper of 2007)
- Bradlow, Eric, Ye Hu, and Teck Ho (2004b), "Modeling Behavioral Regularities of Consumer Learning in Conjoint Analysis," Journal of Marketing Research, 41 (4), 392-396.
- Bradlow, Eric, Ye Hu, and Teck Ho (2004a), "A Learning-Based Model for Imputing Missing Levels in Partial Conjoint Profiles," Journal of Marketing Research, 41 (4), 369-381. (Finalist for the Paul E. Green Award 2005)
Academic Associations & Editorial BoardsEditorial Board, Customer Needs and Solutions
- MARK 7371 Pricing Strategy
Ph.D., Marketing & M.A., Statistics, The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
B.E., Economics & B.S., Automotive Engineering, Tsinghua University