Professor - Healthcare Strategy & Technology and Research Director, Healthcare Business Institute
Ravi Aron is Professor of Healthcare Strategy & Technology at the C. T. Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston. He is also Research Director and founder of the Healthcare Business Institute at the University of Houston. He has a joint appointment in the Department of Health Systems & Population Health Sciences at the Tilman J. Fertitta Family College of Medicine at the University of Houston.
He received his Ph.D. in Management Information Systems from the Stern School of Business, at New York University. He conducts interdisciplinary research and is considered as a "boundary spanner" whose research spans the areas of information systems, operations management and technology strategy. His research interests include healthcare strategy, emergent technologies and their impact on operations, valuation of healthcare startups, new valuation models for technology service providers, and technology strategy.
His research has been published in journals including Management Science, Information Systems Research, Journal of Operations Management, The Harvard Business Review, Journal of Management Information Systems and other premier academic journals. His research is largely quantitative and empirical; more recently he has used methods based on machine learning to create predictive models and combine them with explanatory modeling techniques. Currently, he is on the editorial board of The Journal of Management Information Systems and has served in the past as reviewer and associate editor at several premier research journals.
Dr. Aron has taught classes at all levels including – undergraduate, graduate, Ph.D. and executives – in several leading business schools. Dr. Aron's teaching is based on the Socratic method, and he teaches highly interactive classes. Dr. Aron often uses a 'flipped classroom' whereby he uses the class time for discussion, debate, and analysis and uses non-synchronous electronic delivery methods for disseminating other kinds of leaning content. He has won numerous awards for teaching at The Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania and the Johns Hopkins University, Carey Business School and at The Stern School of Business at NYU. He has extensive experience in Executive Education and has taught executives in Europe, Asia, North America, and Latin America. He has designed and delivered executive education sessions on the topics of Technology Strategy, Strategic Applications of AI & Machine Learning, Analytics, Digital Business Transformation, and Digital Platform-Based Business Models to senior executives from several corporations all over the world. He has over twenty years of experience in executive education working with senior executives in US, Europe and Asia.
He has considerable experience working with startups and venture capitalists. He has participated in fund-raising exercises representing startups as well as VCs. He also has extensive experience on valuing startups and has consulted with VCs and Angel Investors. He advises VC firms and startups and helps investors value new business models and conduct risk assessments. He has consulted with several Fortune 500 firms and has advised CEOs, CTOs, and policy makers in the US, Singapore, Japan, UK, India, and Mauritius. He was an invited participant and session chair of several panels in the World Economic Forum, Annual Meet at Davos in 2005, and 2006.
Prior to joining Bauer College, Professor Aron worked at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School (2009-2020), The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania (1999-2006) and The Marshall School at USC (2007-2009). Prior to doing his PhD, he also worked in Citicorp in Asia and as a consultant in Malaysia.
Press Citations of Research
- The Wall Street Journal.
- The New York Times.
- The Economist.
- Time Magazine.
- Economic Times (India).
- Fortune, Forbes, BusinessWeek.
- CIO & CFO Magazines.
Honors and Awards
- Dean's Faculty Excellence award, Carey Business School 2016.
- Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association Excellence in Teaching Award, 2012.
- ISA-INFORMS Best Paper Award, Finalist, 2012.
- Professor of The Year, GMBA Class of 2012, Carey Business School, 2011.
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Industry Studies Fellowship Award for 2008.
- David Hauck Teaching Excellence Award, 2004, The Wharton School.
- MBA Teaching Excellence, 2004, The Wharton School.
- Undergraduate Teaching Excellence Award, 2004, The Wharton School.
- Undergraduate Teaching Excellence Award, 2003, The Wharton School.
- Herman E. Kross Best Doctoral Dissertation Award, 1999, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, NYU
- Healthcare IT
- Emergent Technologies And Their Impact On Operations
- Valuing Healthcare Startups
- New Valuation Models For Technology-Enabled Startups
- Healthcare Supply Chains: Drugs, Devices, Medical Supplies
- Machine Learning and Prediction Models
- Applications Of AI In Healthcare
- Technology Enabled Sourcing of Services (BPO)
Areas of Expertise
- Applications of AI in healthcare
- Use of multi-level metrics in operations
- Valuing startups and technology-enabled business models
- Assessing Risk in AI applications
- Use of time series data
- Nwafor, O., Ma, X., Johnson, N.A., Singh, Ar., Aron, R., "Differential Impacts of Technology-Network Structures on Cost Efficiency: Knowledge Spillovers in Healthcare," Journal of Management Information Systems, (Forthcoming).
- Aron, R., and Pathak, P.A., "Disaggregating the Differential Impact of Health Care IT in Complex Care Delivery: Insights from Field Research in Chronic Care," Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 21, Iss. 3, 2022.
- Aron, R., "Combating COVID-19: Lessons from Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan," Knowledge@Wharton, April 21, 2020.
- Lee, S.H., Dwyer, C., Coralan, H., Demko, Z., Aron, R., Phan, P., Ravitz, A., Pronovost, P., Sapirstein, A., "The Impact Of Patient, Ward And Best Practice Therapies On Adverse Outcomes In The ICU," Critical Care Medicine, January 2019, Volume 47, Issue 1, - p 482.
- Markopoulos, P., Aron, R., and Ungar, L., "Product Information Websites: Are they Good for Consumers?" Journal of Management Information Systems, December 2016, 33(3), 624 - 651.
- Liu, Y., Aron, R. "Organizational Control, Incentive Contracts, and Knowledge Transfer in Offshore Business Process Outsourcing, Information Systems Research," Information Systems Research, March 2015, 26(1): 81-99.
- Williams, K., Chambers, C., Hough, D., Dada, M., Aron, R., Ulatowski, M. "Applying JIT Principles to Resident Education to Reduce Patient Delays: A Pilot Study in an Academic Medical Center Pain Clinic," Pain Medicine, September 16, 2014, 312-318.
- Williams, K., Chambers, C., Hough, D., Dada, M., Aron, R., Ulatowski, M. "Using Process Analysis to Assess the Impact of Medical Education on the Delivery of Pain Services: A Natural Experiment," Anesthesiology, April 2012, 116(4):931-9.
- Aron, R., Dutta, S., Janakiram, R., Pathak, P.S. "The Impact of Automation of Systems on Medical Errors: Evidence from Field Research," Information Systems Research, Vol. 22, No. 3, September 2011, pp. 429–446.
- Seshasai, S., Gupta, A., Aron, R. "The 24-Hour Knowledge Factory: Work And Organizational Redesign And Associated Challenges," Information Resources Management Journal, October-December 2010, Vol. 23, No. 4.
- Markopoulos, P., Aron, R., and Ungar, L. "Information Market for Product Attributes: A Game Theoretic, Dual Pricing Mechanism," Decision Support Systems, Volume 49, Issue 2, May 2010.
- Aron, R., Ungar, L., and Valluri, A. "A Model of Market Power and Efficiency in Private Electronic Exchanges," European Journal of Operations Research, Volume 187, Issue 3, 16 June 2008, Pages 922-942.
- Aron, R., Bandopadyay, S., Jayanty, S., and Pathak, P.S. "Monitoring Process Quality in Offshore Outsourcing: A Model and Findings from Multi-Country Survey," Journal of Operations Management, Volume 26, Issue 2, March 2008, Pages 303-321.
- Aron, R., and Pathak, P.S. "Impact of Internet-Based Distributed Monitoring Systems on Off-Shore Sourcing of Services," ACM Transactions On Internet Technology, Vol. 7, No. 3, Article 16, August, 2007.
- Aron, R., Sundararajan, A., Viswanathan, S. "Intelligent Agents in Electronic Markets for Information Goods: Customization, Preference Revelation and Pricing," Decision Support Systems, Volume 41, Issue 4, May 2006, Pages 764-786.
- Aron, R., and Singh, J. "Getting Offshoring Right" Harvard Business Review, December 2005, pp. 135-143.
- Aron, R., Clemons, E.K., and Reddi, S. "Just Right Outsourcing: Understanding and Managing Strategic Risk," Journal of Management Information Systems, Fall 2005, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 37-55.
- Anand, K.S., and Aron, R. "Group-Buying on the Web: A Comparison of Price Discovery Mechanisms", Management Science, Vol. 49, No. 11 November 2003, pp. 1546-1562.
- Aron, R., and Clemons, E.K. "Achieving the Optimal Balance Between Investment in Quality and Investment in Self-Promotion for Information Products," Journal of Management Information Systems, Fall 2001, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 65-88.
- Aron, R., and Sundararajan, A. "An Economic Analysis of Electronic Secondary Markets: Installed Base, Technology, Durability and Firm Profitability," Decision Support Systems 24, December 1998, 3-16.
- Aron, R. Global Innovation in Offshoring of Financial Services. In Mowery, D., Macher, J. (Eds.), Globalization of Innovation: National Academies Press, Washington, DC, 2008.
- Aron, R., and Liu, Y. "Determinants of Operational Risk in Global Sourcing of Financial Services," In Brookings Institute Forum Journal of Trade & Economics, 2005.
- BZAN 6353: Research Design for Problems in Business Analytics
- BZAN 6310: Quantitative Analysis for Business Decisions
- PhD Practicum
Ph.D., Information Systems, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, New York University
M.Phil, Information Systems, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, New York University
PGDIM (MBA), Finance Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore