Instructional Associate Professor - Faculty Director of Principles Accounting Courses
Kiran Parthasarathy holds her Doctorate from the University of Houston and has taught over 7500 students in her teaching career. She is the Faculty Director for the Principles Accounting Courses. As part of this role, she leads a team of instructors in course design, technology adoption and trouble shooting. She has brought forth some innovative techniques to improve student learning outcomes. In recognition of her efforts, she has received four teaching awards and five TIP grants from the UH Provost. She presents and publishes her research in pedagogy and capital markets which in turn serve to instruct her teaching. Prior to entering academia, she has industry experience in credit risk and has been a manager of financial derivatives in a multinational Bank.
- Pedagogy Research in Accounting
- Financial Markets
- Debt Markets
- Accounting Conservatism
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Risk Management
Areas of Expertise
- Faculty Director of Principles Accounting Courses, C.T.Bauer College of Business, University of Houston.
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Spring 2019, Department of Accounting, Bauer College of Business.
- University of Houston, Teaching Excellence Award (Category 4: Clinical), Fall 2017-Spring 2018
- Wayne and Kathryn E. Payne Award for Excellence, C.T. Bauer College of Business, 2017
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Spring 2014, Department of Accounting, Bauer College of Business.
- Provost's Teaching Innovation Program (TIP) Grant Award, University of Houston, Fall 2023, 2022, 2018, 2017 and 2016.
- Do Multiple Learner Interactions Improve Learning for Accounting Students Having Differing Academic Achievement and Demographics? with J. Meade. Business Education Innovation Journal 15 (June 2023): forthcoming.
- Did COVID-19 Impact Student Learning in an Introductory Accounting Course? with J. Meade. Business Education Innovation Journal 12 (December 2020): 18-22.
- Bank Value at Risk (VAR) Disclosures. A Missed Leading Indicator of the 2008 Financial Crisis? Accounting and Finance Research, Vol 9, No 3 (2020)
- Do Instructor-Created Videos Improve Student Performance in the Introductory Accounting Course? with J. Meade, P. Krishnamurthy, and L. Liang. Journal of the Academy of Business Education 20 (Summer 2019): 158-171.
- The Joint Effects of Monitoring and Incentive Alignment on Accounting Conservatism, Accounting and Finance Research (AFR). Vol. 3 (2014).pp 58-70.
- The Impact of Levels Versus Change in Earnings in the Estimation of Conditional Conservatism and the Earnings-Returns Anomaly", 2013, Advances in Quantitative Analysis of Finance and Accounting (AQAFA),Volume 11, pp. 29-53
Academic Associations & Editorial BoardsMember of American Accounting Association (AAA). Reviewer, American Accounting Association. Ad hoc reviewer, Accounting Education Journal.
Activities & InterestsSinging, reading and travelling.
- MH 370F
- No Web Site Currently
- Financial Accounting (ACCT 2301), Managerial Accounting (ACCT 2302), Frameworks of Accounting (ACCT 3366), IFRS, Auditing and Value at Risk.
PhD University of Houston
MBA University of Houston
MIB Indian Institute of Foreign Trade
Bcom University of Madras