Johannes Habel's research interests include the psychology of personal selling and sales management as well as the digital transformation of sales. He is a member of the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management and the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science and an ad-hoc reviewer for the Journal of Marketing and the Journal of Marketing Research.
Johannes has received several awards, including the 2020 Marvin Jolson Award for the best contribution to selling and sales management practice, as well as five teaching awards between 2016 and 2020.
Johannes has developed and directed customized and open executive education programs for numerous organizations and taught executives at some of the world's top business schools, including the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia, Stanford Graduate School of Business at Stanford University, and Yale School of Management at Yale University.
Johannes previously was a Professor at the Warwick Business School, United Kingdom, and an Associate Professor at ESMT Berlin, Germany. He received a doctorate in marketing from the University of Bochum, Germany; and a degree in management from the University of Mannheim, Germany. Before joining academia, he worked as a management consultant with Booz & Company (today strategy&) and as a radio news anchor.
- Digital transformation of sales
- Psychology of selling
- Sales force effectiveness
- Kassemeier, Roland, Sascha Alavi, Johannes Habel, and Christian Schmitz (2022), "Customer-oriented Salespeople's Value Creation and Claiming in Price Negotiations," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, forthcoming.
- Habel, Johannes, Sascha Alavi, and Kim Linsenmayer (2021): "Variable Compensation and Salesperson Health," Journal of Marketing, 85 (3), 130-149.
- Cron, William, Sascha Alavi, Johannes Habel, Jan Wieseke, and Hanaa Ryari (2021): "No Conversion, No Conversation: Consequences of Retail Salespeople Disengaging from Unpromising Prospects," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 49 (3), 502-520.
- Habel, Johannes, Sascha Alavi, and Kim Linsenmayer (2021): "From personal to online selling: How relational selling shapes salespeople's promotion of e-commerce channels," Journal of Business Research, 132, 373-382.
- Guenzi, Paolo and Johannes Habel (2020): "Mastering the Digital Transformation of Sales," California Management Review, 62 (4), 57-85.
- Schmitz, Christian, Max Friess, Sascha Alavi, and Johannes Habel (2020): "Understanding the Impact of Relationship Disruptions," Journal of Marketing, 84 (1), 66-87.
- Alavi, Sascha, Johannes Habel, Marco Schwenke, and Christian Schmitz (2020): "Price Negotiating for Services: Elucidating the Ambivalent Effects on Customers' Negotiation Aspirations," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 48 (2), 165-185.
- Singh, Jagdip, Karen Flaherty, Ravipreet S. Sohi, Dawn Deeter-Schmelz, Johannes Habel, Kenneth Le Meunier-FitzHugh, Avinash Malshe, Ryan Mullins, and Vincent Onyemah (2019): "Sales profession and professionals in the age of digitization and artificial intelligence technologies: concepts, priorities, and questions," Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 39 (1), 2-22.
- Alavi, Sascha, Johannes Habel, Paolo Guenzi, and Jan Wieseke (2018): "The Role of Leadership in Salespeople's Price Negotiation Behavior," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 46 (4), 703-724.
- Habel, Johannes, Sascha Alavi, and Doreen Pick (2017): "When Serving Customers Includes Restricting Them: Understanding the Effects of Employees' Enforcement of Service Rules," International Journal of Research in Marketing, 34 (4), 919-941.
- Habel, Johannes, Sascha Alavi, Christian Schmitz, Janina-Vanessa Schneider, and Jan Wieseke (2016): "When Do Customers Get What They Expect? Understanding the Ambivalent Effects of Customers' Service Expectations on Satisfaction," Journal of Service Research, 19 (4), 361-379.
- Habel, Johannes, Laura Marie Schons, Sascha Alavi, and Jan Wieseke (2016): "Warm Glow or Extra Charge? The Ambivalent Effect of Corporate Social Responsibility on Customers' Perceived Price Fairness," Journal of Marketing, 80 (1), 84-105.
- Habel, Johannes and Martin Klarmann (2015): "Customer Reactions to Downsizing: When is Satisfaction Affected?" Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 43 (6), 768-789.
- Wieseke, Jan, Sascha Alavi, and Johannes Habel (2014): "Willing to Pay More, Eager to Pay Less: The Role of Customer Loyalty in Price Negotiations," Journal of Marketing, 78 (6), 17-37.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (Editorial Review Board Member)
- Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management (Editorial Review Board Member)
- American Marketing Association (Member)
- Digital Selling
- Sales Analytics
University of Mannheim
University of Bochum