Dusya Vera is a Professor of Strategy in the Department of Management & Leadership. She received her Ph.D. in Business Administration (Strategic Management) from the Richard Ivey School of Business at Western University in Canada. She earned an MBA from the University of Pittsburgh and a Computer Engineering degree from the Polytechnic University of Guayaquil, Ecuador, and also pursued graduate work at the Martin Luther Universitatet Halle-Wittenberg in Germany. || Dr. Vera's research is in the areas of strategic leadership, leader character, improvisation, and organizational learning. She has published in top academic and practitioner publications such as the Academy of Management Review, Organization Science, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, The Leadership Quarterly, Organization Studies, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Organizational Dynamics, Business Horizons, and Management Learning, among others. She is currently an Associate Editor of The Leadership Quarterly. She has served on the Editorial Board of journals such as The Academy of Management Review, The Academy of Management Journal, The Leadership Quarterly, Management Learning, and IEEE Transactions of Engineering Management. She is a member of the Academy of Management and the Strategic Management Society. || Dr. Vera is an award-winning teacher over the years, teaching courses at the undergraduate, masters, doctoral, and executive level in the areas of strategic management and strategic leadership. At the C.T. Bauer College of Business, she is the recipient of multiple awards including the Melcher Awards for Excellence in Research, Teaching, and Service. She received the University of Houston Distinguished Leadership in Teaching Excellence Award in 2017, the University of Houston Teaching Excellence Award in 2011, and the G.R.E.A.T. Excellence in Teacher Award (given by EMBA graduating classes) three times. She also received the University of Houston Group Award in 2018 as part of the team that delivers the Study Abroad Trips in Management & Leadership. She has taught in programs in multiple international locations including Ecuador, Colombia, Canada, Spain, and China. || Prior to pursuing her doctoral studies, Dr. Vera's industry experience was in the financial and IT sectors in Latin America with organizations such as the Guayaquil Stock Exchange, the Pacific Bank, and Consulconti Consulting.
- leader character
- organizational learning
- strategic leadership
Areas of Expertise
- strategic management
- leader character
- organizational learning
- strategic leadership
- Vera, D., Samba, C., Kong, T., & Maldonado, T. 2020. "Resilience as thriving: The role of positive leadership practices." Organizational Dynamics, forthcoming.
- Salaiz, A., Evans, K., Pathak, S. & Vera, D. 2020. "The impact of corporate social responsibility and irresponsiblity on firm financial performance: New insights to an old question." Organizational Dynamics.
- Tawse, A., Patrick, V., & Vera, D. 2019. "Crossing the chasm: Leadership nudges to help transition from strategy formulation to strategy implementation." Business Horizons, 62 (2), 249-257.
- Maldonado, T., Salaiz, A. Vera, D., & Keller, R. 2019. "Taking stock of the absorptive capacity construct and its dimensions in the context of technological innovation: A meta-analytic approach." IEEE Transactions of Engineering Management, forthcoming.
- Tabesh, P., Vera, D., & Keller, R. 2019. "Unabsorved slack resource deployment and exploratory and exploitative innovation: How much does CEO expertise matter?" Journal of Business Research, 94: 65-80.
- Maldonado, T., Vera, D. & Ramos, N. 2018. "How humble is your company culture? And, why does it matter?" Business Horizons.
- Sturm, R., Vera, D & Crossan, M. 2017. "The Entanglement of Leader Character and Leader Competence and its Impact on Performance," The Leadership Quarterly, 28(3): 349-366.
- Anderson-Fletcher, E., Vera, D., & Abbott, J. 2017. "How mindful is your company? Lessons for business from the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Ebola Crisis." Organizational Dynamics, 46(4): 202-211.
- Vera, D., Nemanich, L., Velez-Castrillon, S., & Werner, S. 2016. "Knowledge-based and contextual factors associated with R&D teams' improvisation capability," Journal of Management, 42: 1874-1903.
- Krylova, K., Vera, D., & Crossan, M. 2016. "Knowledge transfer in knowledge-intensive organizations: The crucial role of improvisation in transferring and protecting knowledge." Journal of Knowledge Management, 20, 5: 1045-1064.
- Banks, M., Vera, D., Pathak, S., & Ballard, K. 2016. "Stakeholder Management as a Source of Competitive Advantage: A Relationship and Portfolio Perspective", Organization Dynamics, 14: 18-27.
- Maldonado, T., & Vera, D. 2014. "Leadership skills for international crises: The role of cultural intelligence and improvisation", Organization Dynamics, 43, 4: 257-265.
- Vera, D., Crossan, M., Rerup, C., & Werner, S. 2014. "'Thinking Before Acting' or 'Acting Before Thinking': Antecedents of Individual Action Propensity in Work Situations", Journal of Management Studies, 51, 4: 603-633.
- Krischer, M., Witt, L.A., Vera, D. 2012. "When does adaptive performance lead to higher task performance?" Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33, 7: 910-924.
- Nemanich, L., Keller, R., Vera, D., & Chin, W. 2010. "Team absorptive capacity: A conceptualization and test with R&D teams." IEEE Transactions of Engineering Management, 57, 4.
- Vera, D. "On building bridges, facilitating dialogue, and delineating priorities: A tribute to Mark Easterby-Smith and his contribution to organizational learning." Management Learning, 40, 5: 499-511. 
- Jansen, J., Vera, D., & Crossan, M. "Strategic leadership and exploratory and exploitative innovation." The Leadership Quarterly,20: 1, 5-18. 
- Nemanich, L. & Vera, D. "Transformational leadership and ambidexterity in the context of an acquisition." The Leadership Quarterly, 20, 1: 19-33. 
- Nemanich, L., Banks, M. & Vera, D. "Enhancing knowledge transfer in classroom versus on-line settings: The interplay among instructor, student, content, and context.'" Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, 7, 1: 123-148. 
- Crossan, M., Vera, D. & Nanjad, L. "Transcendent leadership: Strategic leadership in dynamic environments." The Leadership Quarterly, 19, 569-581. 
- Elliot, C., Rouse, M. & Vera, D. "Learning fusion: Introduction to the dedicated organizational learning, knowledge and capabilities issue." Management Learning, 38, 4: 371-374. 
- Keller, Robert T. and Louise Nemanich. "Transformational Leadership in an Acquisition: A Field Study of Employees." Leadership Quarterly [February 2007]
- Vera, Dusya and Gabriel Cepeda. "Dynamic Capabilities and Operational Capabilities: A Knowledge Management Perspective." Journal of Business Research 
- Vera, Dusya, L. Nanjad and M. Crossan. "Transcendent Leadership: Strategic Leadership in Dynamic Environments." Leadership Quarterly 
- Vera, D. & Crossan, M. 2005. "Improvisation and innovative performance in teams." Organization Science, 16, 3: 203-224.
- Crossan, M. Cunha, M., Vera, D. & Cunha, J. 2005. "Time and organizational improvisation." Academy of Management Review, 30, 1: 129-145.
- Vera, D. & Rodriguez-Lopez, A. 2004. "Strategic virtues: Humility as a source of competitive advantage." Organizational Dynamics, 33, 4: 393-408.
- Vera, D. & Crossan, M. 2004. "Theatrical improvisation: Lessons for organizations." Organization Studies, 25, 5: 727-749.
- Vera, D. & Crossan, M. 2004. "Strategic leadership and organizational learning." Academy of Management Review, 29, 2: 222-240.
- Pettit, K., Crossan, M., & Vera, D., 2017. "Organizational learning and knowledge processes: A critical review." SAGE Handbook of Process Organization Studies, forthcoming.
- Vera, D., Crossan, M. & Apaydin, M. 2011 "A framework for integrating organizational learning, knowledge, capabilities, and absorptive capacity." The Blackwell Handbook of Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management, 2nd Edition, 153-180.
- Vera, D. & Crossan, M. 2003 "Organizational learning and knowledge management: Toward an integrative framework." The Blackwell Handbook of Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management, 122-141.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Academy of Management
- Strategic Management Society
- The Leadership Quarterly, Associate Editor
- Management Learning, Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Business Research, Editorial Board Member
- MANA 8331: Strategic Management-Doctoral seminar
- MANA 8330: Management Research-Doctoral seminar
- MANA 6A25: Ethical Leadership and Critical Reasoning-MBA core
- MANA 6A83: Strategic Analysis-MBA core
- MANA 7397: Strategy for Oil and Gas–MBA elective
- MANA 7375: Global Leadership-MBA elective
- MANA 7397: Developing Leader Character-MBA elective
- MANA 7397: Global Strategy-MBA elective
- MANA 7397: Positive Leadership in a global context-MBA elective
Western University, Canada
University of Pittsburgh, USA
B.S. Computer Engineering
Polytechnic University of Guayaquil, Ecuador