Derek R. Avery
Professor - C.T. Bauer Chair of Inclusive Leadership
Derek R. Avery, Ph.D., is the C. T. Bauer Chair of Inclusive Leadership in the Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston. Dr. Avery received his Ph.D. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology from Rice University in 2001. His primary research interests are in workforce diversity (including, but not limited to racioethnicity, sex, age, experience, religion, and culture) and employee input mechanisms. He is perhaps best known for his work on diversity climates, which has established them as: (a) instrumental in reducing demographic differences in employee engagement, absenteeism, turnover, and individual performance and (b) key drivers of unit-level customer satisfaction and sales growth. He is an active member of the Academy of Management and a fellow of the Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology (SIOP) and Association for Psychological Science. Presently, he is an associate editor of the Journal of Business and Psychology, the diversity and inclusion officer for SIOP, and has served on editorial boards of numerous top tier journals in recent years. His publications total more than 90 articles and chapters and this research, which has earned commendation from the Academy of Management, has appeared in various outlets such as the Journal of Applied Psychology, Personnel Psychology, Organization Science, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, the Journal of Management and the Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- Workplace Diversity
- Diversity Climate
- Inclusive Leadership
- Avery, D. R., Hall, A. V., Preston, M., Ruggs, E. N., & Washington, E. (in press). Is justice colorblind? A review of workplace racioethnic differences through the lens of organizational justice. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior .
- Luksyte, A., Unsworth, K. L., Avery, D. R., & Cordery, J. (in press). Gender differences in the relationship between presenteeism and extra-role behaviors. Journal of Organizational Behavior . DOI:10.1002/job.2651
- Avery, D. R., Rhue, L. A., & McKay, P. F. (in press). Setting the stage for success: How participation diversity can help teams leverage racioethnic diversity. Journal of Management . DOI: 10.1177/01492063221082522
- Miller, C. C., Chiu, S., Wesley, C. L., Vera, D., & Avery, D. R. (2022). Cognitive diversity at the strategic apex: Assessing evidence on the value of different perspectives and ideas among senior leaders. Academy of Management Annals , 16(2), 806-852. DOI: 10.5465/annals.2020.0387
- Luksyte, A., Avery, D. R., Parker, S. K., Wang, L., Johnson, L., & Crepeau, L. (2022). Age diversity in teams: Examining the impact of the least agreeable member. Journal of Organizational Behavior , 43(3), 546-565. DOI: 10.1002/job.2570
- Holmes, O., Jiang, K., Avery, D. R., McKay, P. F., Oh, I., & Tillman, J. (2021). A meta-analysis of 25 years of diversity climate research. Journal of Management , 47(6), 1357-1382. DOI: 10.1177/0149206320934547
- Richard, O. C., Avery, D. R., Luksyte, A., Boncoeur, O. D., & Spitzmuller, C. M. (2019). Improving organizational newcomers' creative job performance through creative process engagement: The moderating role of a synergy diversity climate. Personnel Psychology , 72(3), 421-444. DOI: 10.1111/peps.12316
- Hernandez, M., Avery, D. R., Volpone, S. D., & Kaiser, C. R. (2019). Bargaining while black: The role of race in salary negotiations. Journal of Applied Psychology , 104(4), 581-592. DOI: 10.1037/apl0000363
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Associate Editor, Journal of Business & Psychology
- Diversity & Inclusion Officer, Society for Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- Fellow, Society for Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- Member, Academy of Management
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science
- MH 315N
- No Web Site Currently
- Managing Workforce Diversity (Undergrad & MBA)
- Inclusive Leadership (MBA)
- Doctoral Seminar in HR
- Doctoral Seminar in Management Research
Rice University - Ph.D. / M.A.
Tulane University - B.S.