Yinliang (Ricky) Tan
Associate Professor - Area Coordinator in Supply Chain Management
Yinliang (Ricky) Tan (谭寅亮 in Chinese) is an Associate Professor in the C.T. Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston. He is also the Bauer Fellow, and Area Coordinator in Supply Chain Management at Bauer College. His CV is available to download here and his personal site can be accessed by the following link .
He received his Ph.D. in Operations Management and Information Systems from the University of Florida. His research is interdisciplinary and he is considered as a "boundary spanner" crossing the areas of operations management and information systems. His recent research interests include the blockchain technology, digital economy, management of technology, and supply chain management. His work has been published in journals including Management Science, MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Production and Operations Management, Decision Sciences, Human Relations, and other premier academic journals. Currently, he is a Senior Editor at the Production and Operations Management, Department Editor at the Decision Science Journal, and Associate Editor at the Information & Management Journal. He is recognized as one of the 40 Most Outstanding Business Professors Under 40 worldwide by Poets & Quants. He has also received the Carol J. Latta Emerging Leadership Award for Outstanding Early Career Scholars by Decision Science Institute in 2019 and ISS Sandra A. Slaughter Early Career Award in 2022.
Ricky has rich teaching experience at undergraduate, graduate, executive, and Ph.D. levels. He has co-designed the curriculum of the Master of Business Analytics program at Tulane University and developed several courses highlighting the experiential learning in the program. His pedagogical research on active learning is also well cited. Based on his teaching performance, he has received several teaching recognitions including Dean's Excellence for Graduate Teaching Award at Tulane University.
Prior to joining Bauer College, Professor Tan has worked at the A.B. Freeman School of Business of Tulane University as an Assistant Professor (2015-2021), and got his confirmation as an Associate Professor with Tenure in 2021. During this time at Tulane University, he received Irving LaValle Early Career Professorship and served as the Executive Director for Goldring Institute of International Business, where he helped facilitating the global partnerships with universities, and industry for degree and non-degree programs, faculty and student exchanges, and research. He has also served on the Freeman School's Dean Search Committee.
Professor Tan is also an avid art lover and historical manuscript collector.
- Cheng, S., Lin, P., Tan, Y., & Zhang, Y. (Equal Contribution) 2023. High Innovators? Marijuana Legalization and Regional Innovation. Production and Operations Management. Forthcoming. Download
- Gao, Y., Liu, S., Shen, B., & Tan, Y. (Equal Contribution) 2023. Social Pricing of Luxury Products in a Distribution Channel. Production and Operations Management. Forthcoming.
- Gao, Y., Johnson, N., Shen, B., & Tan, Y. (Equal Contribution) 2023. Benefits of Sourcing Alternative Inputs of Manufacturers for Suppliers. Production and Operations Management. Forthcoming.
- Tan, Y. (Solo-authored) 2022. Implications of Blockchain-Powered Marketplace of Pre-Owned Virtual Goods. Production and Operations Management. Forthcoming. Download
- Gao, H., Kumar, S., Tan, Y., & Zhao, H. (Equal Contribution) 2022. Socialize More, Pay Less: Randomized Field Experiments on Social Pricing Information Systems Research. Forthcoming. Download
- Sun, S., Burke, M., Chen, H., Tan, Y., & Zhang, J. 2022. Mitigating the Psychologically Detrimental Effects of Supervisor Undermining: Joint Effects Of Voice And Political Skill. Human Relations. 27(4) 605-623. Download
- Tan, Y., Xiong Y., Gao, H., Li, X., & Zhao, H. 2021. Less is More? The Strategic Role of Retailer's Capacity. Production and Operations Management. 30(10) 3354-3368. Download
- Kumar, S. Tan, Y., & Wei, L. 2020. (Equal Contribution) When to Play Your Advertisement? Optimal Insertion Policy of Behavioral Advertisement. Information Systems Research. 31(2) 589-606 Download
- He, H., Parker, G., Tan, Y., Xu, H. (Equal Contribution) 2020. Altruism or Shrewd Business? Implications of Technology Openness on Innovations and Competition. MIS Quarterly. 44(3) 1049-1071 Download
- Gao, H., Zhao, H., Tan, Y., Lin, Y., & Wei, L. 2020. (Equal Contribution) Social Promotion: A Creative Promotional Framework on Consumers' Social Network Value. Production and Operations Management. 30(10) 3354-3368. Download
- Feng, Y., Tan, Y., Duan, Y., & Bai, Y. 2020. (Equal Contribution) Strategies Analysis of Luxury Fashion Rental Platform in Sharing Economy. Transportation Research Part E. 142 102065. Download
- Huang, H., Liu, L., Parker, G., Tan, Y., & Xu, H. (Equal Contribution) 2019. Multi-Attribute Procurement Auctions in the Presence of Satisfaction Risk. Production and Operations Management. 28(5) 1206-1221 Download
- Niu, B., Li, J., Zhang, J., Cheng, H., & Tan, Y. (Equal Contribution) 2019. Strategic Analysis of Dual Sourcing and Dual Channel with an Unreliable Alternative Supplier. Production and Operations Management . 28(3) 570-587 Download
- Geng, X. Tan, Y., & Wei, L. 2018. (Equal Contribution) How Add-on Pricing Interacts with Distribution Contracts. Production and Operations Management. 27(4) 605-623. Download
- Tian, L., Vakharia, A., Tan, Y., & Xu, Y. (Equal Contribution) 2018. Marketplace, Reseller, or Hybrid: Strategic Analysis of an Emerging E-Commerce Model. Production and Operations Management . 27(8) 1595-1610 Download
- Kitchens, B., Means, T. & Tan, Y. (Equal Contribution) 2018. Captivate: Building Blocks for Implementing Active Learning. Journal of Education for Business. 93(2) 58-73 Download
- Tan, Y., Paul, A., Deng, Q., & Wei, L. 2017. Mitigating Inventory Overstocking: Optimal Order-up-to Level to Achieve a Target Fill Rate. Production and Operations Management. 26(11) 1971-1988 Download
- Tan, Y., & Carrillo, J. 2017. Strategic Analysis of the Agency Model for Digital Goods. Production and Operations Management. 26(4) 724-741 Download
- Tan, Y., Carrillo, J. & Cheng, H. 2016. The Agency Model for Digital Goods. Decision Science. 47(4) 628-660 Download
- Kumar, A. & Tan, Y. 2015. The Demand Effects of Joint Product Advertising in Online Videos. Management Science. 61(8) 1921-1937 Download
- Paul, A., Tan, Y., & Vakharia, A. 2015. Inventory Planning for a Modular Product Family. Production and Operations Management. 24(7) 1033-1053 Download
- Turken, N., Tan, Y., Vakharia, A., Wang, L., Wang, R., & Yenipazarli, A. 2015. The Multi-product Newsvendor Problem: Review, Extensions, and Directions for Future Research. Handbook of Newsvendor Problems, International Series in Operations Research & Management Science. Download
- Digital Economy
- Agency Selling
- New business models
- Interface between Operations Management and Information Systems
- Supply chain management
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Guest Co-editor, Production and Operations Management, Special Issue on "New Business Models and Operations Innovation"
- Senior Editor, Production and Operations Management
- Associate Editor, Decision Science Journal
- Associate Editor, Information and Management Journal
- Guest Associate Editor, MIS Quarterly, Special Issue on "Digital Technologies and Social Justice"
- Guest Associate Editor, Decision Support Systems, Special Issue on "Blockchain Technology and Applications"
- BZAN 6350 Quantitative Foundations for Business Analytics
- MIS 7397 Visual Analytics
- SCM 8397 Analytical Modeling in Operations Management
Ph.D. in Operations Management and Information Systems, University of Florida
M.S. in Industrial Engineering, University of Florida
B.E. Logistics Engineering, Tongji University