The following list of frequently asked questions may help you find information relevant to your giving interests.
- Is My Gift Tax Deductible
- As a Donor, Must I Pay the Full Amount of a Gift at Once or Can I Make Installement Payments?
- What Kind of Assets Can I Give?
- What Does It Cost to Establish an Endowed Scholarship?
- If I Establish a Scholarsip, Will I Be Involved in the Selection of Recipients?
- Is my gift tax deductible?
- Most gifts are considered charitable contributions in whole or part. The fair market value of any goods or services (auction items, tickets, etc.) you receive in return for your gift are deducted from the gift amount. You should consult with your accountant for specific guidance on your gift. Contributions to the University of Houston are tax deductible by donors under IRS Code sections 170(b)(1)(A)(ii) and 170(b)(1)(A)(v).
- As a donor, must I pay the full amount of a gift at once or can I make installment payments?
- Pledge gifts can be paid in installments over a period of time. For example, a donor who makes a $1,000 pledge might choose to fulfill the commitment with two $500 payments over the course of a year. As another example, a donor who pledges $25,000 might have the option of completing the commitment over five years.
- What kind of assets can I give?
- The university accepts a wide range of gifts, including, but not limited to, cash, securities, real estate, personal property (art, jewelry, collections, etc.), equipment, intellectual property, mineral rights, oil and gas interests, timber, cattle, or limited partnership interests. All gifts are subject to review by the university's Gift Acceptance Committee.
- What does it cost to establish an endowed scholarship?
- Scholarships are a critical area of need for the University of Houston, and remain one of the most gratifying giving opportunities for our donors. It currently costs a minimum of $25,000 to fully endow a scholarship for one student.
- If I establish a scholarship, will I be involved in the selection of student recipients?
- The Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston maintains a scholarship committee that reviews applications and makes the final determination. A donor does not participate in the final selection process. However, the College does encourage donors to meet with scholarship recipients through the annual Scholarship Gala, regular awards luncheons and other planned activities.
For more information on the Bauer College scholarship program, visit scholarship.