Femtech (+) Innovation Challenge
The Femtech(+) Innovation Challenge is a hack-a-thon style weekend where teams of students are asked to brainstorm business solutions to problems predominantly faced by women. At the end of the week, all the teams pitch their ideas to a panel of judges for the chance to win awards.
Don’t know anything about femtech? No worries! Over the course of the challenge, students learn about Femtech, how to use customer discovery to test their idea, and receive mentorship on their teams’ idea and pitch. It is open to all UH students but we look for and accept students who express interest in femtech and innovation in their application.
This event occurs in the Fall Semester. Fall 2022 will be November 4-8. You will not need to set aside time on all those days, but you should expect to be working on the idea heavily throughout the weekend of November 5 and 6.
- Friday, Oct. 21: Applications close at Midnight
- Monday, Oct. 24: Participants notified of acceptance to the challenge and informational packet, research information, and schedule of events are distributed.
- Friday, Nov. 4: 6 p.m. - TBA, Femtech(+) 2022 Innovation Challenge begins! Students attend a panel with femtech and technology experts, brainstorming business ideas, and form teams.
- Saturday, Nov. 5: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Students attend lectures on pitching and entrepreneurship basics then attend a mentoring session.
- Sunday, Nov. 6:, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Students attend mentoring session
- Monday, Nov. 7:, Time TBA, Optional Pitch Practice mentoring
- Tuesday, Nov. 8:, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m., Teams pitch ideas to judges for the opportunity to win awards.
What is Femtech and Femtech(+)?
Femtech is short for “female technology” or technology designed to help address issues of women's health care in the home. Femtech(+) is a concept RED Labs created to encompass not just issues with women’s health care but to include any technology or business solution that helps improve disparate outcomes women face in any aspect of society.
Do I need to come with a business idea?
It is not required, but we do encourage accepted participants to do research on problems that need a business solution.
Do I need to apply with a team?
No, teams are assigned at the beginning of the event. However, we do encourage you to apply with your friends!
I am a graduate student, can I still participate?
Yes! The Femtech(+) Innovation Challenge is open to all UH students.