Graduate and Professional Programs

EMBA Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions for Executive MBA students are presented here, divided into the categories:

    EMBA and MBA programs
  • What is the difference between the EMBA and the regular MBA?

    The Executive MBA is designed for working professionals that want a peer-learning environment. Our program is cohort-based, lock step and all-inclusive. The EMBA features peer learning, has small class sizes, gets input from major businesses on the curriculum, provides an all-inclusive fee, has an International Business Residency trip, provides world-class service by dedicated in-house program coordinators, and supports a large alumni base for networking. Over twenty-five years of experience in executive education makes the University of Houston EMBA experts in training executives in the real world.

  • Where can I get information about the regular MBA program?

    Visit the Houston MBA web site at or call 713-743-0700.

    The EMBA Experience
  • What is a cohort?

    A cohort is a team chosen by a panel at the beginning of the program. Each student in the program is placed in one of the cohorts and continues with that team through the entire program.

  • Who are the instructors?

    The EMBA uses senior faculty members, department chairs, deans, and industry leaders with years of real world experience as instructors.

  • How many hours outside of class should I expect to spend on school?

    Participants in Program 1 should expect to spend 10-15 hours a week on studies outside of class. Participants in Program 2 should expect to spend 20-30 hours. This is inclusive of team meetings, homework, readings, etc.

  • How do I find out more information about the programs?

    Come to one of our Information Sessions.

  • When are your Information Sessions?

    Visit the Information Sessions Registration page for more information.

  • Where are the Information Sessions held?

    Information Sessions are typically held at Bauer but may sometimes be held off-campus as well. Check the Information Sessions Registration page for event details. For more information on parking, maps and directions to UH please check our Visiting Our College page.

  • What is lock step?

    Lock step means the academic curriculum is chosen for the students in a manner that allows for comprehensive study. Participants are not able to choose any electives.

  • What courses are offered in the EMBA?

    The program consists of 30 hours of core courses set by the college and 18 hours of elective courses chosen by an academic committee.

  • How long is the International Business Residency (IBR), and where do the classes visit?

    The IBR is 7 days. The location varies and is decided upon by the instructor. Previously the students have gone to Singapore, Chile, Vietnam, Prague, and Spain.

  • How many people do you accept per year?

    We accept 120 people per year (35-40 students per class). After being accepted, your down payment holds your seat, and the program begins each year in August.

  • When is your application deadline?

    The Executive MBA application deadline for fall 2013 is June 1 for domestic applicants and April 1 for international. Please feel free to learn more about the EMBA application process on our website.

  • What is rolling admissions?

    Rolling admissions is continued acceptance of applications and applicants throughout the year. After being accepted, your down payment holds your seat, and the program begins each year in July. Learn more about our EMBA application process.

  • Must I have an undergraduate degree to enter the EMBA program?

    Yes, you must have a four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.

  • What undergraduate major is required?

    No particular undergraduate major is required in order to pursue the EMBA.

  • What is your GMAT or GRE requirement?

    Neither the GMAT nor the GRE is required for the Executive MBA program.

  • Do you accept transfer applicants?

    Since the EMBA is a lock step program, we do not accept transfers from other colleges.

  • Who should fill out my appraisal letters?

    Your current supervisor and a person that is familiar with your work should fill out the appraisal forms. Human resources, a previous supervisor or fellow colleague of the same or higher status are all people that you can use.

  • Is the application process different if I received my diploma from a foreign country?

    If you receive your diploma from a non-English speaking foreign country you will need you take the TOEFL / IELTS / PTE Academic. You will also have to have your transcripts translated and transcribed by an outside source and send an additional $75 check with your application to have your transcript evaluated by UH International Admissions. You will need to bring in your original transcripts for us to verify. TOEFL information is available at Information on the IELTS is available at Information is available at

  • Do you have information for outside sources that translates and transcribes the transcripts?

    For a list of approved translators click here.

    Cost & Financial Aid
  • How much is the EMBA program?

    The EMBA program is currently an all-inclusive price of $73,700.00 (this cost is based on Texas resident status. Non-residents and students who hold a visa will have additional fees). Learn more about our EMBA tuition and fees.

  • What does the cost include?

    The price is all-inclusive: books, fees, laptop, international business trip, meals during class, parking, materials needed for class, and other miscellaneous items. Please feel free to learn more about the EMBA cost breakdown on our website.

  • How do I get financial aid?

    Please visit for details on applying and the loans available. You may also email the EMBA financial aid officer at

  • Who do I talk to about veteran benefits?

    For Hazlewood information, please visit or contact Edward Williams, the UH Hazlewood representative, at For GI Bill information, please visit or contact Kristopher Butler at

    FAQs for International Students
  • What considers me an International student?

    If you are not a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident and have your degree from another country, you are considered an International student.

    If you are a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident but have a non–US degree, you can apply on the domestic deadline and do not have to pay a $75 international fee. But you still need your documents evaluated, so please submit early.

    If you are not a US citizen or US Permanent Resident but have a US degree, you must apply by the international deadline but can submit your other documents by the domestic deadline.

    Please feel free to learn more about the EMBA application process for international students on our website.

  • How much is the International Application fee?

    A $75 International application fee payment is required in addition to the $75 Bauer application fee.

  • How can I pay my International application fee?

    You may make payment online here: or mail in a check made out to University of Houston to:
    Bauer College of Business
    Graduate and Professional Programs
    334 Melcher Hall, Suite 330
    Houston, TX 77204–6021

  • Am I required to take the TOEFL or how am I exempt?

    TOEFL is required of students whose countries official native language is not English. You are exempt from the TOEFL if you have received a degree from the US or if you received a bachelor’s degree from one of the following countries:
    Please see link for current listing.

  • When is the Fall and Spring International Admission deadline?

    Fall admissions deadline for the EMBA program is April 1.

  • I have a baccalaureate degree from another country, how can I have my transcript evaluated?

    The Office of International Admissions at UH will handle and complete the evaluation of your transcripts. We must receive original documents.

  • Do I have to have my transcripts translated to English?

    Yes, all transcripts must be translated to English by either the school attended (upon request) or by an accreditation agency.

  • What is the difference between having my transcripts translated and evaluated?

    Translated – having your official transcripts transcribed to English for evaluation purposes.

    Evaluated – An evaluation is done when we receive a foreign transcript. The Office of International Admission will evaluate your baccalaureate degree or higher degree from an accredited international college or university and determine if you have the ability to pursue into graduate program or degree equivalency.