Department of Accountancy & Taxation
Master of Science in Accountancy (MSACCY)
Welcome to the Master of Science in Accountancy (MSACCY) and thank you for considering our world class program! Our program is one of a select group of universities that has its own separate accounting accreditation by the AACSB.
The Bauer MSACCY Program Recognized in the Top 50 Accounting Programs Among U. S. Universities in a Recent Study by College Choice
College Choice described the program as being "unique in that not only is the program accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, but it is one of less than 200 institutions to hold an additional specialized accreditation solely for the accounting program" and having "a nationally ranked faculty working in accounting, and accounting courses are regularly taught by active professionals in the field. All students are given a first-class education as well as unique opportunities to be recruited by top agencies and firms from across the nation before they graduate."
College Choice is an online publication that helps students and families find the right college through the publishing of rankings and reviews plus providing resources to help students get into, pay for and succeed in college. To view the full rankings, go to the College Choice website.
The MSACCY program is designed to be flexible and is anticipated to be completed in one year. The curriculum requirements are based on 36 graduate hours including 24 hours of graduate accounting or IT courses. Students can develop a skilled specialization in one of our five certificate tracks: Assurance/Financial Reporting, Advanced Internal Audit, Taxation, Oil & Gas and IT Systems Risk Management. The Program provides an opportunity to acquire a strong graduate foundation in accounting and also pursue an area of particular student interest or career aspiration.
Data Analytics will be incorporated into the program effective with the fall 2016 semester. Course options include a course that introduces the concepts and use of data analytics, the related tools (software and programming concepts) and the solution applications (analysis and presentation); and a course where the data analytics software used extensively by the public accounting firms and internal audit departments will be integrated throughout the course including the performance of multiple audit applications. These steps to integrate data analytics into the program are aligned with the guidance of the AACSB and the American Accounting Association (AAA) White Paper on Integrating Data Analytics into the Financial Statement Auditing Class.
The program offers a flexible class schedule and courses that provide students with the right balance of technical knowledge and critical thinking capabilities sought by today’s employers. The majority of our MSACCY courses (approximately 80%) are offered in the evening to accommodate working professionals. The remaining courses are offered during the regular day class schedule. Students learn to solve complex business problems, recognize dysfunctional accounting situations, and respond appropriately to ethical and regulatory dilemmas; while engaging in accounting research and gaining first-hand experience communicating their findings. Emphasis is placed on the strong background needed to successfully complete the Texas Uniform CPA exam.
The Department of Accountancy & Taxation's MSACCY Accounting Program is recognized by the AACSB and has received separate Accounting Accreditation from the AACSB. Less than 2% of the worldwide accounting programs have received this important designation as one of the highest quality academic programs which "ensures that students are learning material most relevant to their field of study, preparing them to be effective leaders upon graduation."
We presently have approximately 300 students in our MSACCY program and the average GMAT score is 550.
36 graduate hours including 24 hours of graduate accounting/IT courses.
The average GMAT score is 550.
Meet Doreen Chen
Program Benefits and Considerations
Selecting a professional graduate program in accounting is an important personal career decision. The following unique benefits and considerations are being provided to help assist you in making this decision and in illustrating the strength of our program.
- Bauer's accounting faculty includes both: distinguished academic scholars (with extensive published research on leading topics) and important advisory positions such as an academic advisor to the U.S. Treasury Department; and current and former senior executives and high level professionals from industry (which bring real world experience into the classroom) that take an innovative approach to teaching.
- Bauer is one of only 180 institutions in the world that hold an additional specialized AACSB Accreditation for their accounting programs. Bauer is also one of only 412 schools in the nation to be accredited by AACSB International, the leading business school accreditation body.
- UH Bauer has the #1 accounting faculty in Houston, ranks #2 in Texas and consistently ranks as one of the top faculty in North America.
- An outstanding education will be obtained in a leading global city that will help develop your broad understanding of international considerations with over 70 countries represented by our international students - Bauer is the single most diverse business school in the United States.
- Specialized dedicated academic advisory and career placement personnel for our MSACCY program in Bauer's Rockwell Career Center.
- Our Oil & Gas Program is unique among all U.S. universities in that it is comprised of four specialized Oil & Gas courses using resources from the Energy Capital of the World (Houston). The Oil & Gas Certificate delivers the tools to prepare our graduates for positions in the Oil & Gas industry. A four-course Certificate in the area of Oil & Gas/Energy accounting was developed through a joint effort with Oil & Gas/Energy (upstream, midstream, downstream and other energy) companies, CPA firms, and other affected stakeholders. Networking Opportunities: During the fall semester, representatives from oil & gas and accounting firms will host weekly colloquiums for our students. The colloquium is intended to help students learn about the companies, network with the representatives, and learn how to be an accountant with specialized skills in the Oil & Gas/Energy industry.
- Our Internal Audit Program is one of only six programs in the world and one of only three in the United States to be recognized as a Center of Excellence by the Institute of Internal Auditors. A Certificate of Specialization is available for this Program area. Networking Opportunities: Students involved in the Program are provided increased opportunities to interact with the top IA employers through corporate events and weekly colloquiums during the spring semester. The Internal Auditing Student Association (IASA) gives students the opportunity to network with other IA students to further their mutual interests in the field of internal auditing.
- Our graduates' CPA exam pass rate of 63% consistently exceeds the national average.
- The Becker CPA Exam Review Course is offered on the Bauer campus on Saturdays. This is a noncredit course, unrelated to the MSACCY Program, which is separately paid for by the student.
UH Bauer has the #1 accounting faculty in Houston, ranks #2 in Texas and consistently ranks as one of the top faculty in North America.
Our graduates consistently exceed the national average on the CPA exam pass rate.
Meet David Devine
The MSACCY Program provides a broad based business education that equips students with the necessary technical knowledge, communication skills, and critical thinking abilities expected by employers.
The goals of the Master of Science in Accountancy are to provide graduates with the following.
- Oral communication skills
- Written communication skills
- Research skills
- Ethical awareness
- Global awareness
- Technological skills
- Analytical problem solving skills
- Financial risk assessment skills
Meet Evelyn Garza
Houston Business Community and Corporate Partners/Employers
We are actively involved with the local community in many ways and through various programs.
To view a list of Corporate Partners, CLICK HERE
Employment upon graduation is very important. Our MSACCY program is very successful in helping our graduates become employed. Our program is supported by the Rockwell Career Center which deals solely with C. T. Bauer College of Business students and alumni. The Rockwell Career Center is a full-service career center offering resources and assistance in the formulation and implementation of their career plans — including activities such as résumé writing, mock interviews, accounting fairs, coordination of extensive on campus recruiting events with employers and more. Having a career center dedicated only to the needs of Bauer business students is an important and differentiating resource.
To view the current employment data for MSACCY, CLICK HERE
Meet Susanna KiseMSACCY Candidate
Cost & Tuition Planning
Provided below is the approximate MSACCY program cost (tuition and fees) for a full–time student based on 36 credit hours and current tuition rates. Please remember that program costs vary depending on the number of hours undertaken, the length to complete the program and the status of the student.
- Resident student tuition and fees - $30,776
- Non-resident student tuition and fees - $49,064
- International student tuition and fees - $52,860*
*For international students, medical insurance of $949 per semester or proof of acceptable insurance is also required.
These costs are based on the 2016/2017 academic school year. Program costs are subject to change without prior notice and should be discussed with Admissions personnel.
For further details, CLICK HERE
$30,776 - Resident student tuition and fees approximate cost
Meet Anna ZubkovaMSACCY Candidate
- Master of Science in Accountancy (MSACCY)
- Certificate in Accountancy Program (CAP)
- Corporate Partners
- Departmental News & Events
- Research & Success
- Student Groups
- Why Accounting?
- Contact Us
"Professors at Bauer are equipped with not just academic knowledge but also with real-world experience."
Bauer is located in the heart of Houston, and its location brings many opportunities to its students. During recruiting seasons, many employers visit the university providing students with opportunities to build their network. Bauer also has many professional organizations that are well connected to employers. These organizations provide students with additional opportunities to network with recruiters.
Professors at Bauer are equipped with not just academic knowledge but also with real-world experience. They know what students really need, and they do their best to prepare students for the professional world. Professors and advisors are always willing to help and sincerely care about Bauer students. Choosing Bauer has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made!
"I'm even able to pick a specialty track to develop my interest in information technology."
The program is geared towards working professionals, so I'm able to schedule all of my classes around my work schedule, and reap the benefits applying my new job skills right away. Even attending part time, I'm able to complete the degree requirements in a reasonable amount of time and with limited cost compared to other professional programs, so I find incredible value with how the program is set up. After graduating from a small, private institution; I was surprised that class sizes were comparably small at a university of this size; and I never have trouble getting the attention I need from professors. All this comes from a top rated business university in the heart of Houston, and I'm even able to pick a specialty track to develop my interest in information technology. Considering all of these factors, University of Houston's Bauer MS Accounting program is very well-rounded, and I have no regrets that I enrolled in this fine institution.
"CAP was perfect for me because I could complete the accounting foundation courses within CAP before applying for the MSACCY Program."
My BA was in Art-History and through my work in auction houses, art galleries, and in real estate development I’d discovered that I enjoyed the numbers side of business. I initially was considering pursuing an MBA, but ended up deciding that the way to best improve my business skills and differentiate myself in the job market was to pursue Accounting. I attended an information session for the CAP and MSACCY programs and was sold. Coming from a non-accounting background, CAP was perfect for me because I could complete the accounting foundation courses within CAP before applying for the MSACCY Program. While taking ACCT 5331 Introduction to Federal Income Tax, I learned that I could volunteer with Neighborhood Centers during spring tax season to prepare tax returns. During my last semester of accounting foundation classes I applied for and was accepted into the MSACCY program. Based upon my time as a tax volunteer, I decided to focus my studies on taxation. As part of the MSACCY Program, I have completed two internships.
"While attending school, working, and raising children has been very difficult, it is not uncommon to find other students in similar situations that will understand and make the Bauer experience more rewarding."
Bauer has given me amazing opportunities I probably would not have had elsewhere. Not only does it have an excellent accounting program, but it offers opportunities to recruit with some of the biggest firms. Bauer's rigorous program has helped not only to prepare me with technical skills, but also with my soft skills. The Rockwell Career Center made a huge impact on me being able to obtain internships. They assisted me with everything from reviewing my resume to preparing me for interviews. During my academic career, I had the opportunity to intern with two different firms. My internship experiences were challenging, yet very rewarding. While attending school, working, and raising children has been very difficult, it is not uncommon to find other students in similar situations that will understand and make the Bauer experience more rewarding. I wouldn't change my Bauer experience for anything.
"My academic advisor helped me pick the right combination of classes so I could manage my workload with my family and full-time job."
I selected Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston after attending an information session and was confident that I would receive a high-quality education for a reasonable tuition. I especially appreciated the ability to take evening classes while continued to work full-time.
With an interest in Information Technology and Internal Audit, I have pursued a double certification in Internal Audit and IT Risk Management. I greatly enjoy my classes because each professor has a vast professional experience, allowing them to provide an understanding of how to apply accounting theory in the real world.
My academic advisor helped me pick the right combination of classes so I could manage my workload with my family and full-time job. In addition, Bauer's Rockwell Career provided great support through personal coaching and career workshops. Bauer provides each student with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in the accounting profession, and provides a variety of opportunities and support to build a successful career. With the exceptional support from staff, professors and countless resources, Bauer can help to make your dreams come true!