Department of Accountancy & Taxation
Master of Science in Accountancy (MSACCY)
Welcome to the Master of Science in Accountancy (MSACCY) and thank you for considering our world class program! Our program is one of a select group of universities that has its own separate accounting accreditation by the AACSB.
The MSACCY program is designed to be flexible and is anticipated to be completed in one year. The curriculum requirements are based on 36 graduate hours including 24 hours of graduate accounting or IT courses. Students can develop a skilled specialization in one of our five certificate tracks: Assurance/Financial Reporting, Advanced Internal Audit, Taxation, Oil & Gas and IT Systems Risk Management. The Program provides an opportunity to acquire a strong graduate foundation in accounting and also pursue an area of particular student interest or career aspiration.
The program offers a flexible class schedule and courses that provide students with the right balance of technical knowledge and critical thinking capabilities sought by today’s employers. The majority of our MSACCY courses (approximately 80%) are offered in the evening to accommodate working professionals. The remaining courses are offered during the regular day class schedule. Students learn to solve complex business problems, recognize dysfunctional accounting situations, and respond appropriately to ethical and regulatory dilemmas; while engaging in accounting research and gaining first-hand experience communicating their findings. Emphasis is placed on the strong background needed to successfully complete the Texas Uniform CPA exam.
We presently have approximately 300 students in our MSACCY program and the average GMAT score is 550.
36 graduate hours including 24 hours of graduate accounting/IT courses.
The average GMAT score is 550.
Meet Adam Clayton
Program Benefits and Considerations
Selecting a professional graduate program in accounting is an important personal career decision. The following unique benefits and considerations are being provided to help assist you in making this decision and in illustrating the strength of our program.
- Bauer's accounting faculty includes both: distinguished academic scholars (with extensive published research on leading topics) and important advisory positions such as an academic advisor to the U.S. Treasury Department; and current and former senior executives and high level professionals from industry (which bring real world experience into the classroom) that take an innovative approach to teaching.
- Bauer is one of only 180 institutions in the world that hold an additional specialized AACSB Accreditation for their accounting programs. Bauer is also one of only 412 schools in the nation to be accredited by AACSB International, the leading business school accreditation body.
- UH Bauer has the #1 accounting faculty in Houston, ranks #2 in Texas and consistently ranks as one of the top faculty in North America.
- An outstanding education will be obtained in a leading global city that will help develop your broad understanding of international considerations with over 70 countries represented by our international students - Bauer is the single most diverse business school in the United States.
- Specialized dedicated academic advisory and career placement personnel for our MSACCY program in Bauer's Rockwell Career Center.
- Our Oil & Gas Program is unique among all U.S. universities in that it is comprised of four specialized Oil & Gas courses using resources from the Energy Capital of the World (Houston). The Oil & Gas Certificate delivers the tools to prepare our graduates for positions in the Oil & Gas industry. A four-course Certificate in the area of Oil & Gas/Energy accounting was developed through a joint effort with Oil & Gas/Energy (upstream, midstream, downstream and other energy) companies, CPA firms, and other affected stakeholders. Networking Opportunities: During the fall semester, representatives from oil & gas and accounting firms will host weekly colloquiums for our students. The colloquium is intended to help students learn about the companies, network with the representatives, and learn how to be an accountant with specialized skills in the Oil & Gas/Energy industry.
- Our Internal Audit Program is one of only six programs in the world and one of only three in the United States to be recognized as a Center of Excellence by the Institute of Internal Auditors. A Certificate of Specialization is available for this Program area. Networking Opportunities: Students involved in the Program are provided increased opportunities to interact with the top IA employers through corporate events and weekly colloquiums during the spring semester. The Internal Auditing Student Association (IASA) gives students the opportunity to network with other IA students to further their mutual interests in the field of internal auditing.
- Our graduates' CPA exam pass rate of 63% consistently exceeds the national average.
- The Becker CPA Exam Review Course is offered on the Bauer campus on Saturdays. This is a noncredit course, unrelated to the MSACCY Program, which is separately paid for by the student.
The MSACCY Program provides a broad based business education that equips students with the necessary technical knowledge, communication skills, and critical thinking abilities expected by employers.
The goals of the Master of Science in Accountancy are to provide graduates with the following.
- Oral communication skills
- Written communication skills
- Research skills
- Ethical awareness
- Global awareness
- Technological skills
- Analytical problem solving skills
- Financial risk assessment skills
Meet Logan Piper
Houston Business Community and Corporate Partners/Employers
We are actively involved with the local community in many ways and through various programs.
To view a list of Corporate Partners, CLICK HERE
Meet Lai Sally Wong
Employment upon graduation is very important. Our MSACCY program is very successful in helping our graduates become employed. Our program is supported by the Rockwell Career Center which deals solely with C. T. Bauer College of Business students and alumni. The Rockwell Career Center is a full-service career center offering resources and assistance in the formulation and implementation of their career plans — including activities such as résumé writing, mock interviews, accounting fairs, coordination of extensive on campus recruiting events with employers and more. Having a career center dedicated only to the needs of Bauer business students is an important and differentiating resource.
To view the current employment data for MSACCY, CLICK HERE
Meet Lulu ZhangMSACCY Candidate
Cost & Tuition Planning
Provided below is the approximate MSACCY program cost (tuition and fees) for a full–time student based on 36 credit hours and current tuition rates. Please remember that program costs vary depending on the number of hours undertaken, the length to complete the program and the status of the student.
- Resident student tuition and fees - $30,144
- Non-resident student tuition and fees - $47,784
- International student tuition and fees - $48,124*
*For international students, medical insurance of $750 per semester or proof of acceptable insurance is also required.
Program costs are subject to change without prior notice and should be discussed with Admissions personnel.
For further details, CLICK HERE
$30,144 - Resident student tuition and fees approximate cost
Meet Anna ZubkovaMSACCY Candidate
- Master of Science in Accountancy (MSACCY)
- Certificate in Accountancy Program (CAP)
- Corporate Partners
- Departmental News & Events
- Research & Success
- Student Groups
- Why Accounting?
- Contact Us
"It's impossible to ignore why Bauer College of Business is quickly becoming one of the best in the nation."
People often ask me "Why Bauer?" And my answer to them is "Why would I attend any other college?" Bauer is one of the most, if not the most diverse school in the nation. It gave me the opportunity to make friends of different cultures and backgrounds, enriching not only my life as a student, but helping me grow as an individual, ready for the globalized world in which we live today. The close proximity to downtown is another aspect that sets Bauer apart from other schools. Since starting my undergraduate program, I cannot recount how many times I've toured the offices of the Big 4 firms as well as those of the other many firms located in the city. All of these benefits are enhanced by a dedicated staff of teachers and teachers' assistants who are willing to share their experiences and give their time to ensure the students are ready for the real world. It's impossible to ignore why Bauer College of Business is quickly becoming one of the best in the nation.
"While attending school, working, and raising children has been very difficult, it is not uncommon to find other students in similar situations that will understand and make the Bauer experience more rewarding."
Bauer has given me amazing opportunities I probably would not have had elsewhere. Not only does it have an excellent accounting program, but it offers opportunities to recruit with some of the biggest firms. Bauer's rigorous program has helped not only to prepare me with technical skills, but also with my soft skills. The Rockwell Career Center made a huge impact on me being able to obtain internships. They assisted me with everything from reviewing my resume to preparing me for interviews. During my academic career, I had the opportunity to intern with two different firms. My internship experiences were challenging, yet very rewarding. While attending school, working, and raising children has been very difficult, it is not uncommon to find other students in similar situations that will understand and make the Bauer experience more rewarding. I wouldn't change my Bauer experience for anything.
"The entire MSACCY team consists of faculty, career and academic counselors who work together to make sure students are aware of the various opportunities available."
The best thing about the University of Houston is its diversity. We have faculty, staff and students here from all around the world. This makes learning so much fun because we get to know and meet people from different cultures. The best decision I made was joining the MSACCY program after completing my undergraduate degree in accounting. The program provided me with a platform to reach out and network with numerous accounting professionals.
The entire MSACCY team consists of faculty, career and academic counselors who work together to make sure students are aware of the various opportunities available. They make sure each student is exposed to the specialties available in the field of accountancy. They organize numerous events to ensure students are interacting with potential employers. This gives students an opportunity to network with companies in different sectors, so by recruiting season they know where they want to start their career. As a result of these various networking opportunities, I will have the pleasure of starting my career with a Big Four accounting firm after graduation. All in all, Bauer provides a complete experience by providing a great environment of fun and learning to all its students.
"Although it was difficult to balance a full-time course load, two intercollegiate sports and a job, it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life."
I originally chose the University of Houston for my undergraduate degree in accounting because it was a place where I could earn a powerful degree while playing both football and baseball for the university. More specifically, I chose the C.T. Bauer College of Business due to its well respected and nationally ranked programs. I am currently pursuing an MS in Accountancy degree to continue to expand my accounting knowledge while meeting the requirements to sit for the CPA Exam.
I am currently in my 5th year on the football team as the punter and I served as a tutor to other student-athletes in accounting, mathematics and economics courses. Through Bauer, I was recently able to obtain an internship with a Big Four accounting firm. Although it was difficult to balance a full-time course load, two intercollegiate sports and a job, it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
"Bauer provides students many opportunities to network with professionals from prominent organizations and accounting firms, and these connections enable students to find great job opportunities."
I chose the C.T. Bauer College of Business for my business education, and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Being part of the inaugural class of the Tier One Scholars when I entered the University of Houston as a freshman, I was initially attracted to the university because of its cultural diversity and prestigious Tier One academic merit scholarship. But as I settled into the professional accounting program at Bauer, I realized that there was even more to the University of Houston and Bauer.
Bauer provides students many opportunities to network with professionals from prominent organizations and accounting firms, and these connections enable students to find great job opportunities. Located near the central business district of downtown Houston, the school is within such close reach of companies’ headquarters that students will find networking events, corporate office visits, and even work-school schedules extremely accessible and convenient.
During my time as an MSACCY student, I completed an internship at a Big Four accounting firm and also had a part-time position at an oil and gas company. Thanks to the flexibility of the evening class schedules that the MSACCY program offers, I was able to balance school and work and gain both educational and professional work experience all at the same time.
Lai Sally Wong
"As an MSACCY student at Bauer, I am taking advantage of everything that the program offers."
As a student coming from non-accounting background, I was slightly concerned about my coursework when joining the program. Thankfully, the faculty are committed to helping students master accounting knowledge quickly.
One of the most attractive features that the Bauer College of Business possesses is its commitment to student success. The faculty and staff genuinely care about students and they are always ready to help in any way possible. Additionally, the Rockwell Career Center offers great career advice and a lot of resources exclusively for Bauer students. As an MSACCY student at Bauer, I am taking advantage of everything that the program offers.
"My academic advisor helped me pick the right combination of classes so I could manage my workload with my family and full-time job."
I selected Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston after attending an information session and was confident that I would receive a high-quality education for a reasonable tuition. I especially appreciated the ability to take evening classes while continued to work full-time.
With an interest in Information Technology and Internal Audit, I have pursued a double certification in Internal Audit and IT Risk Management. I greatly enjoy my classes because each professor has a vast professional experience, allowing them to provide an understanding of how to apply accounting theory in the real world.
My academic advisor helped me pick the right combination of classes so I could manage my workload with my family and full-time job. In addition, Bauer's Rockwell Career provided great support through personal coaching and career workshops. Bauer provides each student with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in the accounting profession, and provides a variety of opportunities and support to build a successful career. With the exceptional support from staff, professors and countless resources, Bauer can help to make your dreams come true!