Graduate and Professional Programs

Professional MBA FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions for Professional MBA students are presented here, divided into the categories:



Which of the admissions criteria are most important?

Applications are considered in their entirety. While strengths vary from one applicant to another, we seek those students who combine strong academic aptitude, quantitative analytical aptitude, management potential, and diversity of experiences. Academic ability is critical for your success in the Bauer College's rigorous program. Demonstrated management potential is also important. If you have not yet earned meaningful leadership and professional experience, it is strongly recommended that you do so before applying to the Bauer College.

Why is it beneficial to apply early?

Since all applications are carefully considered, early application is very helpful in those situations in which some applicant information is missing or additional data is needed. This will also give you time to address any financial aid or housing issues that may arise in regard to beginning the program, or, if you are an international student, it will allow extra time to arrange for your visa and funding. Learn more about our MBA application process.

Can I find out by telephone whether I have been accepted or denied admission to the program?

No. Decisions are conveyed by mail or email; there are no exceptions.

Can I waive or transfer in courses that I have taken in another school’s MBA program? How many can I waive/transfer?

The MBA program in the Bauer College of Business does not allow waiver or transfer credit. All ten core courses need to be taken in Bauer. If you started an MBA program at another university and then transfer to Bauer, you will need to make a fresh start and retake any MBA core courses that you have already taken.




Is the GMAT required?

Yes. Without Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores, your application is not complete and will not be reviewed.

What are the minimum acceptable GPA and GMAT / GRE scores?

Although Bauer College does not have minimum acceptable GPA or GMAT or GRE scores, you should be aware that of those recently admitted to the full time day program, the average GPA was 3.30 GPA and average GMAT was 600. For those recently admitted to the part time evening program, the average GPA was 3.2 and the average GMAT was 580. GPA and GMAT or GRE scores significantly below those averages decrease the probability of acceptance, but we evaluate applications in their entirety, searching for strengths in all areas. Since we only recently began accepting the GRE, we do not have averages at this time of average acceptance GRE scores.

If I take the GMAT or the GRE more than once, are my scores averaged?

No. The admissions decision will be based on your highest score.

How must GMAT or GRE scores be submitted?

You may submit the unofficial score report generated by the computer at the end of the test session to the MBA program office. For verification purposes, you must also request that the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send your official score report directly to the University of Houston, for GMAT scores using our school code numbers XT1-26-94 (evening students) or XT1-26-83 (full-time students) and for GRE scores using our school code numbers 6870. Please feel free to learn more about the application process on our website.

What if my official GMAT or GRE scores, including the AWA, arrive after the deadline?

If you feel the scores may be late, you need to begin communicating with your admission representative immediately. We must have your official GMAT or GRE score by the application deadline; however, please do indicate on your application the month and year your test is scheduled. If the scores arrive only a few days after the deadline we still may be able to use them in the current application cycle-your admission representative will be able to assist you.

How do I apply to take the GMAT or GRE?

Write or call:

Graduate Management Admission Test
Pearson Vue
P.O. Box 581907
Minneapolis, MN 55458-1907
Telephone:1-800-717-4628 (GMAT) 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. or go to:

You can register online, by phone or by mail. For more information call, 1-443-751-4820 or 1-800-GRE-CALL (1-800-473-2255) Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 7:45 p.m. Eastern Standard Time or visit




Is the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) required?

Yes, if you earned your undergraduate degree outside the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, English-speaking Canada, or the United Kingdom, regardless of whether the program you attended was conducted in English. You may take either the TOEFL or the IELTS test. TOEFL/IELTS scores may not be more than 2 years old. These tests are waived for applicants who earned a previous college degree in the U.S.

How do I apply to take the TOEFL or IELTS?

The TOEFL is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). TOEFL scores should be sent to University of Houston, Main Campus code 6870. Information is available on the internet at Information on the IELTS is available on the internet at Please note: all official test scores must be sent to the University of Houston, Main Campus.

What must I score on the TOEFL or IELTS to be considered?

TOEFL scores above 603 on the paper-based test, or 100 on the internet-based test, or an IELTS score above 6.5, are required for admission to the Bauer College, as they enhance your chances of success with the Bauer College’s rigorous reading, writing, and class discussion requirements.

Must I also take the Test of Written English (TWE)?

No, it is not required for admission.

Although my education was completed overseas, I am now a U.S. citizen, so will UH waive the TOEFL/IELTS?

No, unless you meet the conditions outlined above. Whether you are a US citizen (or permanent resident) is not the issue. You must take the TOEFL or IELTS unless you have completed a previous academic degree in one of the countries listed under the Requirements section of our website.

If I take the TOEFL or IELTS more than once, are my scores averaged?

No. We consider only your highest score. You may take the test as many times as you like.

How long does it take for UH to receive my scores?

Usually, official scores will be reported to UH two to four (2-4) weeks after you take the test.



Experience & Degrees

How much professional experience, on average, do Bauer College applicants bring to the program?

Bauer College students have worked approximately five years, with a broad range of experience that may also encompass significant participation in student organizations and community activities. We look for students who have at least two years of professional work experience.

How important is my work experience to your decision?

Every element of your application is given consideration. With work experience, we are interested in what you may have learned from the sum of your experiences; how they prepared you for the challenges of participating in the Bauer College MBA program, and how easily you can apply your classroom experience to the real world. Please feel free to learn more about the application process on our website.

Must I have an undergraduate degree to enter the graduate program?

Yes, you must have a four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university if you received your education in the United States. If you are an international applicant, your undergraduate degree must be the equivalent of a U.S. four-year bachelor's degree. If you have completed a three-year Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) degree from India or Pakistan, we also require that you have completed the Master of Commerce (M.Com) degree or similar post-graduate degree.

Learn more about our MBA application process.

What undergraduate major is required?

No particular undergraduate major is required in order to pursue the MBA.



International Students

What considers me an International student?

If you are not a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident and have your degree from another country, you are considered an International student.

If you are a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident but have a non–US degree, you can apply on the domestic deadline. But you still need your documents evaluated, so please submit early.

If you are not a US citizen or US Permanent Resident but have a US degree, you must apply by the international deadline but can submit your other documents by the domestic deadline.

How much is the International Application fee?

An $80 International application fee payment is required.

Am I required to take the TOEFL or how am I exempt?

All graduate applicants, regardless of citizenship status, must demonstrate proficiency in English to obtain admission to the university. To fulfill this requirement, applicants must satisfy one of the following criteria:

Baccalaureate degree (or higher) earned from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or at an institution at which English is the medium of instruction in the following countries: Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the Bahamas, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Trinidad, the Virgin Islands, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Barbados, Grenada, Turks and Caicos, and English-speaking Canadian provinces.

Please be advised that Bauer College of Business Graduate and Professional Programs does not currently waive the English language requirement based on completion of UH Language and Culture Center Level 6. Our college-level requirements may differ from other University of Houston graduate programs.

When is the Fall and Spring International Admission deadline?

Fall admissions deadline for Day and Evening program is April 1.
Spring admissions deadline for Evening program is October 1.

I have a baccalaureate degree from another country, how can I have my transcript evaluated?

The University of Houston Graduate School will handle and complete the evaluation of your transcripts. We do not currently accept outside evaluations, such as SpanTran or WES as official documents.

Do I have to have my transcripts translated to English?

Yes, all transcripts must be translated to English by either the school attended (upon request) or by an accreditation agency. For Country-Specific Guidelines, please visit our website.

What is the difference between having my transcripts translated and evaluated?

Translated – having your official transcripts transcribed to English for evaluation purposes.

Evaluated – An evaluation is done when we receive a foreign transcript. The University of Houston Graduate School will evaluate your baccalaureate degree or higher degree from an accredited international college or university and determine if you have the ability to pursue a graduate program or degree equivalency.