News Center | Office of Communications
In order to track and manage projects, the Office of Communication asks that you use the following guidelines to submit project requests.
Ad Approval/Brand Review
Through a partnership with the University Division of Marketing, Communications & Media Relations, the Office of Communications at Bauer serves as the college’s ad approval team. For more information about what ad approval is and what pieces should be submitted, click here. If you are a Bauer faculty, staff member, student or stakeholder with a piece that needs ad approval, email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit the piece.
Click here to submit a web development request using the Bauer Help Desk. Web development requests include changes or updates to existing pages as well as creation of new pages. Once your request is submitted, it will be assigned to an Office of Communication web developer, who will contact you with any questions and update your request through the Bauer Help Desk.
Requests include creation of materials (such as fliers, invitations, brochures, pamphlets, etc.), existing material delivery (if supplies are available), and logo approval. Click here to submit a graphic design request using the Bauer Help Desk. Include as much information as possible, including format of the piece, what content exists and what content needs to be created, delivery date, etc. Note that requests should be made as far in advance of your delivery date as possible. Last-minute requests may be denied based on project load, along with the time needed for proofing, official approval and/or printing and mailing. Once your request is submitted, it will be assigned to an Office of Communications graphic designer, who will contact you with any questions and update your request through the Bauer Help Desk. (Note: Prior to Fall 2014, graphic design project requests were required to be submitted via a PDF form. Our office is no longer using this form and is now tracking all design requests through the Bauer Help Desk.)
- If your request is for a branded promotional item, like a T-shirt or an item for giveaways please consider using Promoversity to create and order your piece
- If you need items that have already been created by the Office of Communications, please visit https://www.bauer.uh.edu/fulfillment/ to request these materials.
Request a Logo
For faculty, staff and students’ use, the Bauer College logo can be obtained in digital format by contacting the Office of Communications and specifying the intended use for the logo.
For commercial purposes, or for anyone outside the college who would like to use the Bauer College logo, refer to the UH Graphic Standards Manual for information on logo usage, licensing and trademarks, and Intellectual Property Use.
The Office of Communications provides photography services for Bauer College. Requests can be made using the outlined steps below for the following types of photos.
Types of Photo Requests
- Headshots (to be used for college communication pieces, the Bauer web directory or other college-related purposes)
Note: At this time, due to the volume of photography requests, the Office of Communications cannot facilitate requests for headshots for LinkedIn or other personal uses.
- Portraits (stylized images to be used for college communication pieces, advertisements, the Bauer website, etc.)
- Event Coverage
Note: The Office of Communications can provide a solid-color backdrop and photographer for “photo booth” purposes at an event, but if you select this option, we cannot provide candid event photos as well.
Bauer staff and faculty should follow the process below to request photography services.
How to Request Photography
In order to book photography through the Office of Communications, you must:
- Submit a Help Desk ticket at least three weeks prior to event/shoot date.
Note: In the event that we are not able to schedule photography for your event, or on the rare occasion that we cannot fulfill a previously booked photography request, we will notify you as soon as possible with alternate photography solutions.
- Your request should include:
Note: We will make every effort to accommodate the date, time and location requested, but the Office of Communications will confirm these details after your request is made.
- Purpose and Benefit of Photos: 2-3 sentence summary – How will you use these photos? If we are shooting an event, provide details on what will happen during the event, who will attend, etc.
- Include any specific photos you need captured (“shot list”). If you have example images from previous shoots or elsewhere, include links or attachments for our reference.
- Name and contact information of person who will coordinate with Office of Communications photographer on-site during photo shoot/event.
- Details on photo delivery – Do you want photos shared online through Bauer College social media and web photo galleries? Do you want a Dropbox link of images so you or someone from your team can archive them.
- Please allow 5-7 business days for Dropbox photo delivery.
Note: The Office of Communications follows an editorial calendar for content. When your photo request is made, if you indicate that you’d like the images shared through Bauer College social media and/or web photo galleries, we will include posting on our editorial calendar and indicate in the Help Desk ticket the anticipated date and URL for posting.
If the Office of Communications cannot provide a photographer for your request, you may consider checking out equipment to take photos yourself. Please note: DSLR and other professional-grade cameras will not be provided. We have a limited number of Sony Bloggie Cameras (MHS-TS55) available for faculty, staff and student use.
- Submit a Help Desk ticket under the category “Photography,” with the following information.
- Date/Time/Location of event/photo shoot
- Date/Time of camera pickup
Note: We will make every effort to accommodate the date and time you request for camera pickup, but the Office of Communications will confirm these details after your request is made.
- The camera must be checked out by a Bauer faculty or staff member. If you are a Bauer student, you must have a Bauer faculty or staff member associated with your request and willing to assume responsibility for the equipment while it is in your care.
- The Office of Communications will provide a basic tutorial during checkout in how to operate the camera.
- The camera must be returned within 24 hours of the event.
- All photos must be cleared from the camera before returning.
- The person checking out the camera assumes responsibility for the equipment and any damages incurred while it is in their care.
Bauer College units typically will not be charged for photography services provided by the Office of Communications. If you need photography services that are beyond the scope of what the Office of Communications provides (outlined in “Types of Photo Requests” section above), we can provide recommended university vendors to fulfill your requests, but your department will be responsible for any contracts, requisitions and invoices generated from outside vendors.
Requests include event capture as well as promotional video creation. The complex nature of video creation requires as much pre-planning as possible before a shoot. Because of this, we require an in-person meeting to discuss a video shoot before an event and request at least two months’ notice to book the Office of Communication videographer to film an event. Contact Jessica Navarro, director of communication, to set up a time to meet. The turnaround time for a completed video project will be discussed during the planning meeting and will depend on the scope of the project and videographer workload.
In addition to visually capturing events and stories, the Office of Communications offers editorial coverage through its team of writers. The content created can be showcased in a number of ways, including online at bauerticker.uh.edu and in Office of Communications print pieces. The Office of Communications also handles media outreach — if you have a story that warrants press coverage, contact Jessica Navarro, director of communication, and Danielle Ponder, media relations representative, to determine the best strategy.
The Office of Communications administers official social media accounts for the college on Facebook (profile | page), Twitter (@UHBauerCollege), Instagram (@uhbauercollege), YouTube (channel – UHBauerCollege), Pinterest (@uhbauercollege) and Snapchat (@uhbauercollege). We encourage users within the college to send information to Jessica Navarro, director of communication, via email to share on these established, official pages, rather than creating separate accounts for a particular department/center/office/organization. Our accounts have an established history with users of frequent and relevant updates, along with large numbers of followers and members, and our office has the capacity to keep these accounts current and robust.
Bauer College uses digital signage within its three buildings to provide current information on college events, academic deadlines and opportunities for Bauer students, faculty, staff and visitors. (Some of the digital signage locations are commonly referred to as the "video wall.") All digital signage at Bauer is regulated and maintained by the college’s Office of Communications (www.bauer.uh.edu/comm). Content may be submitted to the Office of Communications. Note: submitted content may be altered to comply with brand and graphic standards. The Office of Communications reserves the right to review and evaluate content to determine if it is appropriate for digital signage in Bauer College buildings. Priority for display will be given to Bauer faculty, staff, student and alumni content. Read more about how to submit digital signage requests, including the policies governing such requests, pre-approved templates and locations of digital screens with Bauer College.
The Office of Communications creates and manages e-communications for the college. We define e-communications as broadcast email messages intended for an audience of 100 or more people (alumni, donors, friends, students). Per the university’s email policy regarding the effectiveness of e-communications, any email going to a distribution of 100 or more must be managed through the Office of Communications and official university-supported e-communications tools. Our process follows the university's e-communications policies and requires you to submit a request in advance using the Bauer Help Desk (select request type "E-communications"). Because the e-communications process involves many steps, you must submit your request no later than one month before your desired message launch date. Please note that we must work within the university’s e-communications calendar, so your desired message launch date may not be available. We will make every effort to secure your desired message launch date, or if not available, a date as close as possible to what you request.
Please be specific in your request and include the intended distribution, content and launch date. When sending in your request, it is important to remember:
- Send in your request at least a month in advance.
- Depending on time of year and workload, more notice may be required. After your request is submitted to the Bauer Help Desk, a member of the Office of Communications team will contact you directly to discuss scheduling and to confirm your message’s launch date.
- It is important for you to have existing content (text, photos, links) or direction for the Office of Communications team regarding content, when you make your request. When we begin working on your e-communications request, it will take between 5-7 business days (minimum) to build and test the email and to secure necessary approvals. If the Office of Communications team must generate your content or do a great deal of content creation, we must add that time into the overall timeline and factor in existing projects and staff workload.
- Please also consider the distribution when making your request. If you are requesting to send a message to a targeted, specific list that you do not currently have, you should factor in additional time for pulling the list and loading into our e-communications tools.
- The Office of Communications reserves the right to edit content based on style, grammar, branding and other college-level policies. You will have the opportunity to work with the office and review any edits prior to launch.
- We try to schedule e-communications as far in advance as possible, but at times, the need may arise for us to reschedule your e-communication, even if scheduled far in advance, due to high-priority events. If so, we will notify you as soon as possible with alternate launch date options.
Note: we cannot “blast” e-communications messages to all university addresses. If you have a message that you would like a university-level audience to receive, you should email Amanda Sebesta or Jessica Navarro with details. We can recommend that the university include this information in its e-communications or find an alternate way to share, if appropriate.
The college sends out a monthly, event specific e-communication to all Bauer alumni (approximately 30,000 email addresses) the first week of each month. We encourage all constituents at Bauer College to submit event information at least three weeks in advance of the BauerConnect send dates, typically the first week of February, March, April, September and October. BauerConnect is a great resource for advertising your event without scheduling an individual email.
- Media Mentions
- Bauer Blogs
- Social Media
- Office of Communications
- Contact Us
For direct media inquiries and to interview a faculty expert, contact:
Office of Communications
Melcher Hall Room 320G
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-6021