Graduate and Professional Programs
Master of Science in Management Information Systems
For information on the MS in Management Information Systems program, please contact:
The Master of Science in Management Information Systems is designed for working MIS professionals in Houston area.
Entering students are expected:
- to be currently employed in an information technology role (e.g., consultant, application developer, systems analyst, project manager, database administrator, security or infrastructure specialist, or a manager or director of areas previously listed)
- to have at least two years of full time MIS/IT experience (post baccalaureate)
- to continue in their professional employment role while in the program (Note: this program is NOT designed for full-time students)
- to have an undergraduate technology degree in management information systems or computer science
The Houston MIS marketplace
Job growth for Management Information System (MIS) professionals continues to be the top career option in most forecasts (e.g., Bureau of Labor Statistics [6 of the top 20 careers for 2011]; College Board [4 of the top 10 for 2008-2018]; CareerInfonet [4 of the top 20 for 2020]). The Houston MIS job market is tops in the U.S. (CIO Magazine 7 best Cities to Find IT Jobs in 2011).
Demand for MIS graduates is strong and expected to remain so over the next decade, due to the proliferation of digital devices and destinations. To meet this need, we anticipate demand for this program at Bauer College from two populations:
- Current MIS professionals - skills enhancement
Houston is a center of information technology for the energy and medical fields. The Houston IT workforce is talented, yet in many cases, technologically stale. The rate of IT skill obsolescence is very high, and professionals with degrees five or more years old find themselves unprepared for some of the more recent technological waves (e.g., mobile, collaboration, business intelligence and geographic information systems). This program provides the flexibility for a well-schooled IT professional to earn a Master of Science degree that brings their skill set up to current expectations.
- Current MIS professionals - upward mobility
Many IT professionals focused on purely technology topics in their undergraduate curriculum. While computer science might have prepared then for entry-level jobs, advancement to upper-level roles is limited by their lack of skills in the managerial aspects of technology (e.g., project management, administration and audit). This program provides the flexibility for a highly technical IT professional to earn a degree that improves their managerial skills to allow them to advance from the purely technical roles to upper management.
- Executive MBA
- MS Specialized Programs
- Joint Degrees
- Energy MBA
- Bauer GMAT Prep
- Current Students
- Information Sessions
- Contact Us
As a Bauer MBA student, you will have access to a wide array of developmental, job search, networking and recruitment opportunities— coupled with career guidance from experienced and well-respected career specialists.
The Rockwell Career Center has an entire team of specialists who work exclusively with Bauer MBA students for professional development services.