Professor - C. T. Bauer Professor of Marketing Science
- Theoretical marketing models
- Pricing and sales promotion
- Multivariate Statistics
- Sales Force Management
- "Diagnosing Harmful Collinearity in Moderated Regressions: A Roadmap," P. Chennamaneni, R. Echambadi, J. Hess, N. Syam, forthcoming in International Journal of Research in Marketing, 2015.
- "Can Sales Uncertainty Increase Firm Profits?" N. Syam, J. Hess, Y. Yang, forthcoming in Journal of Marketing Research, 2014.
- "Thrill of Victory and Agony of Defeat: Emotional Rewards and Sales Force Compensation," J. Hess, N. Syam, and Y. Yang, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, December 2013, 11(4), 379-402.
- "Bricks or Clicks? Consumer Attitudes Toward Traditional Stores and Online Stores," J. Kacen, J. Hess, and K. Chiang, Global Economics and Management Review, January-April 2013 18(1), 12-21.
- "Sales Contests versus Quotas with Imbalanced Territories," Syam, N., J. Hess, and Y. Yang, Marketing Letters, September 2013, 24(3), 229-244.
- "'Buying Status' by Choosing or Rejecting Luxury Brands and their Counterfeits," S. Geiger Oneto, B. Gelb, D. Walker, J. Hess, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2013, 41(3), 357-372.
- "Spontaneous Selection: The Influence of Shopper, Product and Retailing Factors on Consumer Impulse Purchases," J. Kacen, J. Hess, D. Walker, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, November 2012, 19(6), 578-588.
- Hess, James D., Ravi Sen, Subhajyoti Bandyopadhyay, and Jeevan Jaisingh. "Pricing Paid Placements on Search Engines," Journal of Electronic Commerce Research. 
- "Putting One-to-One Marketing to Work: Personalization, Customization and Choice," Neeraj Arora, Xavier Dreze, Anindya Ghose, James D. Hess, Raghuram Iyengar, Bing Jing, Yogesh Joshi, V. Kumar, Nicholas Lurie, Scott Neslin, S. Sajeesh, Meng Su, Niladri Syam, Jacquelyn Thomas, and Z. John Zhang, Marketing Letters, 2008, Vol. 19, No. 3-4, 305-321.
- "That's What I Thought I Wanted? Miswanting and Regret for a Standard Product in a Mass Customized World," N. Syam, P. Krishnamurthy, J. Hess, Marketing Science, 2008, Vol 27, No. 3, May-June, 379-397.
- "Mean-Centering Does Not Alleviate Collinearity Problems in Moderated Multiple Regression Models," Raj Echambadi and James Hess, Marketing Science,2007, Vol. 26, No. 3 (May-June), 438-445.
- "Mood Management Dynamics: The Interrelationship between Consumer Mood and Behavior" J. Hess, J. Kacen, and J. Kim, forthcoming in British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 2006.
- "Customized Products: A Competitive Analysis," N. Syam, R. Ruan, and J. Hess, Marketing Science, Vol. 24, No. 4, Fall 2005, 569-584.
- "Doing the Right Thing or Doing the Thing Right: Allocating Resources Between Marketing Research and Manufacturing," J. Hess and M. Lucas, Management Science, Vol. 50, No. 4, April 2004, 521-526.
- "Direct Marketing, Indirect Profits: A Strategic Analysis of Dual-Channel Supply Chain Design," W. K. Chiang, D. Chhajed, and J. Hess, Management Science, Vol. 49, No.1, January 2003, 1-20.
- "Accounting Profits versus Marketing Profits: A Relevant Metric for Category Management," Y. Chen, J. Hess, R. Wilcox, and Z. J. Zhang, Marketing Science, Vol. 18, No. 3, 1999, 208-229.
- "Yes, 'Bait and Switch' Really Benefits Consumers," J. Hess and E. Gerstner, Marketing Science, Vol. 17, No. 3, 1998, 283-289.
- The Economics of Organization, North Holland Publishers, June 1983.
- Proceedings of the 14th Paul D. Converse Symposium, (J. Hess and K. Monroe, eds.), American Marketing Association, Chicago, 1998.
- 15th Paul D. Converse Symposium, (A. Griffin and J. Hess, eds.), American Marketing Association, Chicago, 2001.
Academic Writing and Presenting
Customer Relationship Management
Princeton University 1971
B.S.E. Electrical Engineering
Princeton University 1971