Randolph Cooper is a Professor in the Decision and Information Sciences department in the Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston. He joined the University of Houston faculty in 1990 after teaching at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He received his bachelors in economics, masters in business administration, and doctorate in management information systems from the University of California at Los Angeles. He has been employed as a programmer and systems analyst at Motel 6, Incorporated, and Computer Sciences Corporation. He has published in a variety of academic journals, including DataBase, Decision Support Systems, European Journal of Information Systems, Information and Management, Journal of Management Information Systems, Management Science, MIS Quarterly, and Omega. He is currently teaching courses on Java Programming, Information Security, and the Critical Analysis of Research
- Diffusion of Information Technology Innovations
- Management of Systems Design Creativity
- Impact of Information Systems on Effective Decision Making
- Effect of Information Systems on Bargaining Behavior
- Johnson, N. and Cooper, R. (forthcoming) "The Impact of Media on How Positive, Negative, and Neutral Communicated Affect Influence Unilateral Concessions during Negotiations", European Journal of Information Systems.
- Johnson, N. and Cooper, R. (2015) "Understanding the Influence of Instant Messaging on Ending Concessions during Negotiations", Journal of Management Information Systems, 31(4): 311-342.
- Cooper, R. and Johnson, N. (2014) "So Close Yet No Agreement: The Effects of Threats to Self-Esteem when using Instant Messaging and Audio during Seller-Buyer Negotiations", Decision Support Systems, 57: 115-126.
- Johnson, N.; Cooper, R.; Chin, W. (2009) "Anger and Flaming in Computer-Mediated Negotiation among Strangers", Decision Support Systems, 46: 660-672.
- Johnson, N. & Cooper, R. (2009) "Media, Affect, Concession, and Agreement in Negotiation: IM versus Telephone", Decision Support Systems, 46: 673-684.
- Johnson, N. & Cooper, R. (2009) "Power and Concession in Computer-Mediated Negotiation: An Examination of First Offers", MIS Quarterly, 33(1): 147-170.
- Johnson, N.; Cooper, R.; Chin, W. (2008) "The Effect of Flaming on Computer-Mediated Negotiations", European Journal of Information Systems, 17:417-434.
- Cooper, R. & Haines, R. (2008) "The Influence of Workspace Awareness on Group Intellective Decision Effectiveness: A Focus on Presence, Behavior, and Insight Awareness", European Journal of Information Systems, 17: 631-648.
- Cooper, R. & Jayatilaka, B. (2006) "Group Creativity: The Effects of Extrinsic, Intrinsic, and Obligation Motivations", Creativity Research Journal, 18: 153-172.
- Cooper, R. & Wolfe, R. (2005) "Information Processing Model of Information Technology Adaptation: An intra-organizational diffusion perspective", Data Base, 36: 30-48.
- Kahai, S. & Cooper, R. (2003) "Exploring the Core Concepts of Media Richness Theory: The Impact of Cue Multiplicity and Feedback Immediacy on Decision Quality", Journal of Management Information Systems, 20: 263-299.
- Bhattacherjee, A. & Cooper R. (2001) "The Effect of Automatic Responses to Authority on Information Technology Use", Data Base, 32: 36-50.
- Kattan, M. & Cooper, R. (2000) "A Simulation of Factors Affecting Machine Learning Techniques: An Examination of Partitioning and Class Proportions", Omega, 28: 501-512.
- Cooper, R. (2000) "Information Technology Development Creativity: A Case Study of Attempted Radical Change", MIS Quarterly, 24: 245-276.
- Kahai, S. & Cooper, R. (1999) "Toward a Theory of Computer Mediated Communication Effectiveness: The Impact of Nonverbal Cues on Agreement and Acceptance", Journal of Management Information Systems, 16: 165-188.
- Haines, R. & Cooper, R. (1998) "The Negotiation of Structure in Software Development Project Teams", Journal of Information Technology Management, 9: 1-11.
- Robichaux, B. & Cooper, R. (1998) "GSS Participation: A Cultural Examination", Information & Management, 33: 287-300.
- Kattan, M. & Cooper, R. (1998) "Computer-Based Classification Techniques: A Review and Research Directions", OMEGA, 26: 467-482.
- Cooper, R. (1994) "The Inertial Impact of Culture on IT Implementation", Information & Management, 27: 17-31.
- Ramanujan, S. & Cooper, R. (1994) "A Human Information Processing Perspective on Software Maintenance", OMEGA, (International Journal of Management Science), 22 (2).
- Mukhopadhyay, T. & Cooper, R. (1993)"A Microeconomic Production Assessment of the Business Value of Management Information Systems: The Case of Inventory Control", Journal of Management Information Systems, 10 (1): 33-35.
- Cooper, R. & Quinn, R. (1993) "Implications of the Competing Values Model for Management Information Systems", Human Resource Management Journal,. 32 (1): 175-201.
- Cooper, R.; Blair, D.; Pao, M. (1993) "Communicating MIS Research: A Citation Study of Journal Influence", Information Processing and Management, 29 (1): 113-127.
- Mukhopadhyay, T. & Cooper, R. (1992) "The Impact of Management Information System on Decisions", OMEGA (International Journal of Management Science), 20 (1): 37-49.
- Cooper, R. & Zmud, R. (1990) "Information Technology Implementation Research: A Technological Diffusion Approach", Management Science, 36 (2): 123-139.
- Cooper, R. & Zmud, R. (1989) "Material Requirements Planning Systems Infusion", OMEGA (International Journal of Management Science), 17 (5): 471-481.
- Cooper, R. & Mackey, J. (1988) "Variance Tracking MIS in Interdependent Manufacturing Contexts: An Initial Examination," Information & Management, 14 (3): 115-122.
- Cooper, R. (1988) "Review of Management Information Systems Research: A Management Support Perspective," Information Processing and Management, 24 (1): 73-102.
- Cooper, R. (1987) "A Contingent Cost Analysis of Alternative Manufacturing Information Systems", International Journal of Information Management, 7: 131-146.
- Cooper, R. & Swanson, E.B. (1979) "Management Information Requirements: The State of the Art," Data Base, 11 (2): 5-16.
Ph.D. at UCLA
MBA at UCLA
BA at UCLA