Dusya Vera is an Associate Professor of Strategy in the Management Department. She received her Ph.D. in Business Administration (Strategic Management) from the Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario. She earned an MBA from the University of Pittsburgh and a Computer Engineering degree from the Polytechnic University of Guayaquil, Ecuador, and pursued graduate work at the Martin Luther Universitatet Halle-Wittenberg in Germany. | Dr. Vera's research is in the areas of strategic leadership, improvisation, organizational learning, and innovation. She has published in top academic and practitioner publications such as the Academy of Management Review, Organization Science, The Leadership Quarterly, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, Organization Studies, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Organizational Dynamics, Management Learning, and the Blackwell Handbook of Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management, among others. She has served on the Editorial Board of journals such as The Academy of Management Review, The Academy of Management Journal, The Leadership Quarterly, Management Learning, and IEEE Transactions of Engineering Management. She is a member of the Academy of Management and the Strategic Management Society. | Dr. Vera is an award-winning teacher over the years, teaching courses at the undergraduate, masters, doctoral, and executive level in the areas of strategic management and strategic leadership. At the C.T. Bauer College of Business, she is the recipient of multiple awards including the Melcher Awards for Excellence in Research, Teaching, and Service. She received the University of Houston Teaching Excellence Award for 2010-2011, and the Provost Recognition Award in 2014. She has taught in programs in multiple international locations including Ecuador, Colombia, Canada, Spain, and China. | Prior to pursuing her doctoral studies, Dr. Vera's industry experience was in the financial and IT sectors in Latin America with organizations such as the Guayaquil Stock Exchange, the Pacific Bank, and Consulconti Consulting.
- organizational learning
- strategic leadership
Areas of Expertise
- strategic management
- organizational learning
- strategic leadership
- Vera, D., Nemanich, L., Velez-Castrillon, S., & Werner, S. 2015. "Knowledge-based and contextual factors associated with R&D teams' improvisation capability," Journal of Management, forthcoming.
- Banks, M., Vera, D., Pathak, S., & Ballard, K. 2015. "Stakeholder Management as a Source of Competitive Advantage: A Relationship and Portfolio Perspective", Organization Dynamics, forthcoming.
- Maldonado, T., & Vera, D. 2014. "Leadership skills for international crises: The role of cultural intelligence and improvisation", Organization Dynamics, 43, 4: 257-265.
- Vera, D., Crossan, M., Rerup, C., & Werner, S. 2014. "'Thinking Before Acting' or 'Acting Before Thinking': Antecedents of Individual Action Propensity in Work Situations", Journal of Management Studies, 51, 4: 603-633.
- Krischer, M., Witt, L.A., Vera, D. 2012. "When does adaptive performance lead to higher task performance?" Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33, 7: 910-924.
- Nemanich, L., Keller, R., Vera, D., & Chin, W. 2010. "Team absorptive capacity: A conceptualization and test with R&D teams." IEEE Transactions of Engineering Management, 57, 4.
- Vera, D. "On building bridges, facilitating dialogue, and delineating priorities: A tribute to Mark Easterby-Smith and his contribution to organizational learning." Management Learning, 40, 5: 499-511. 
- Jansen, J., Vera, D., & Crossan, M. "Strategic leadership and exploratory and exploitative innovation." The Leadership Quarterly,20: 1, 5-18. 
- Nemanich, L. & Vera, D. "Transformational leadership and ambidexterity in the context of an acquisition." The Leadership Quarterly, 20, 1: 19-33. 
- Nemanich, L., Banks, M. & Vera, D. "Enhancing knowledge transfer in classroom versus on-line settings: The interplay among instructor, student, content, and context.'" Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, 7, 1: 123-148. 
- Crossan, M., Vera, D. & Nanjad, L. "Transcendent leadership: Strategic leadership in dynamic environments." The Leadership Quarterly, 19, 569-581. 
- Elliot, C., Rouse, M. & Vera, D. "Learning fusion: Introduction to the dedicated organizational learning, knowledge and capabilities issue." Management Learning, 38, 4: 371-374. 
- Keller, Robert T. and Louise Nemanich. "Transformational Leadership in an Acquisition: A Field Study of Employees." Leadership Quarterly [February 2007]
- Vera, Dusya and Gabriel Cepeda. "Dynamic Capabilities and Operational Capabilities: A Knowledge Management Perspective." Journal of Business Research 
- Vera, Dusya, L. Nanjad and M. Crossan. "Transcendent Leadership: Strategic Leadership in Dynamic Environments." Leadership Quarterly 
- Pettit, K., Crossan, M., & Vera, D., 2015. "Organizational learning and knowledge processes: A critical review." SAGE Handbook of Process Organization Studies, forthcoming.
- Vera, D., Crossan, M. & Apaydin, M. 2011 "A framework for integrating organizational learning, knowledge, capabilities, and absorptive capacity." The Blackwell Handbook of Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management, 2nd Edition, 153-180.
- Vera, D. & Crossan, M. 2003 "Organizational learning and knowledge management: Toward an integrative framework." The Blackwell Handbook of Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management, 122-141.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Academy of Management
- Strategic Management Society
- The Leadership Quarterly, Editorial Board Member
- Management Learning, Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, Editorial Board Member
- MANA 8330: Strategic Management-Doctoral seminar
- MANA 6A25: Ethical Leadership and Critical Reasoning-MBA core
- MANA 6383: Strategic Management-MBA core
- MANA 7397: Global Leadership-MBA elective
- MANA 7A97: Global Leadership-MBA elective
- MANA 7397: Global Strategy-MBA elective
- MANA 7397: Positive Leadership in a global context-MBA elective
- MANA 4385: Industry and Competitive Analysis-Undergraduate elective
- MANA 4397: Global Leadership-Undergraduate elective
University of Western Ontario
University of Pittsburgh
B.S. Computer Engineering
Polytechnic University of Guayaquil