Other Marketing Opportunities
Other marketing career opportunities include the following:
- Product (or brand) management. The position of product manager or brand manager is usually found in large companies that market a variety of consumer products. The product manager has marketing responsibility for a particular product or group of products, and makes decisions about competitive positioning, product packaging, product modifications, new product development, pricing, distribution, advertising and promotions.
- Marketing consulting. Marketing consultants are hired by companies to evaluate marketing programs and recommend improvements. Consulting can be done by large firms that provide a wide variety to services, by smaller firms that provide a variety of services, by smaller firms that specialize in a particular aspect of marketing such as branding or pricing, and even by individual consultants.
- In general, an MBA is necessary to be considered for positions in product management or marketing consulting. If you have an interest in these careers:
- Follow the course recommendations for the marketing communications interest area or the market research and analysis interest area
- Develop your analytic skills, because these positions put a premium on analysis
- Plan to take an MBA at a school that has a good record of placing people in these types of positions.