Department of Accountancy & Taxation
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need to have Principles of Accounting I and II before applying to CAP?
No, you may take Principles of Accounting I in your first semester as a CAP student, but it is the only class that you can take since it is a prerequisite for most of the CAP advanced accounting courses. Additionally, the course is only offered during the day.
2. What documents do I need in order to apply to CAP?
You will need to submit an online Apply Texas application, a $50 admission’s fee and official transcripts from all institutions attended. There are additional requirements for International Students. Please contact the CAP advisor for more information regarding these requirements.
3. Can I hand deliver my transcripts?
Yes, you may hand deliver your transcripts to our office, Room 304 University Classroom and Business Building (UCBB). The University of Houston will consider domestic transcripts hand delivered by an applicant official ONLY if they are in an officially sealed envelope from the registrar.
4. Can I take all of the 18 hours of prerequisites for Master of Science in Accountancy program in one semester through CAP?
No. Some of the Accounting Foundation courses have prerequisites, and you will need to complete the prerequisite courses first. For example, Auditing requires the completion of Intermediate Accounting I AND Accounting Information Systems.
5. What if I have taken some advanced accounting and business courses at another institution a long time ago. Do I need to retake those courses?
If your goal is to sit for the CPA exam without earning a graduate degree in Accountancy it is important to check with the Texas State Board on what will be approved from the institution you previously attended. Additionally, the Texas State Board does not have a time limit on the age of courses. It is the student’s responsibility to verify what courses are approved from their previous institution.
Once you know what the Texas State Board will approve from your previous coursework please contact the CAP Advisor. The CAP Advisor will help you plan out the courses you need to complete based on the University of Houston’s list of approved courses from the Texas State Board.
6. I am not sure if I want to do graduate school yet. Can I start CAP and if decided, later apply to the Master of Science in Accountancy Program?
Yes, if you are unsure about applying to the MSACCY Program, only take the courses that are prerequisites for the MSACCY Program until you make your decision. DO NOT take any of the courses that are required to be completed in the MSACCY Program unless you decide that you do not wish to pursue the MSACCY Program.
7. Do I need to submit GMAT scores, letters of recommendation and a goal statement for my application to CAP?
These documents are not required for admission into CAP.
8. Can I transfer courses to CAP from another institution?
Since CAP is a non-degree seeking certificate program you cannot transfer courses into the program. However, prerequisites for CAP courses taken at another institution may be considered valid upon department evaluation.
9. How long is the program?
The length of the program is based on how many hours you previously completed and how many hours you need to meet the academic requirements for CPA eligibility. Therefore, the length of the program is based on the educational needs of each individual student.
10. If I am an International Student, can I obtain OPT after I complete CAP?
Yes, CAP students are able to obtain OPT. Please see ISSSO in order to begin the OPT application process.
- Master of Science in Accountancy (MSACCY)
- Ph.D. Accounting
- Certificate in Accountancy Program (CAP)
- Corporate Partners
- Departmental News & Events
- Research & Success
- Student Groups
- Why Accounting?
- Contact Us