Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions for Executive MBA students are presented here, divided into the categories:


EMBA and MBA programs

What is the difference between the Executive MBA and the Professional or Full-Time MBA?

A key difference in the Executive MBA and the Professional or Full-Time MBA is the number of years of work experience. Generally the Executive MBA requires 10-15 years of professional experience, while the Professional and Full-Time MBA require only 5 to 7 years of work experience. In addition, the Executive MBA does not require an entrance exam like the Professional and Full-Time programs and the class schedule is quite different. The Executive MBA Program has 2 different tracks, please learn more on the Executive MBA Overview Page.

Where can I can find out more information about other MBA options at Bauer?

Visit the Houston MBA web site at or call 713-743-0700.



The EMBA Experience

What is a cohort?

A cohort is a team chosen by a panel at the beginning of the program. Each student in the program is placed in one of the cohorts and continues with that team through the entire program.

Who are the instructors?

The EMBA uses senior faculty members, department chairs, deans, and industry leaders with years of real world experience as instructors.

How many hours outside of the classroom should I expect to spend on EMBA coursework?

Executive MBA students in the Weeknight Program should expect to spend 10-15 hours per week outside of class, and students in the Weekend Program should expect to spend 20-30. This is inclusive of team meetings, homework, readings, etc.

How do I find out more information about the programs?

Visit us at an Information Session or contact our office at You may also call our office at 713-743-0700.

When are your Information Sessions?

Visit the Information Sessions Registration page for more information.

Where are the Information Sessions held?

Information Sessions are typically held at Bauer but may sometimes be held off-campus as well. Check the Information Sessions Registration page for event details. For more information on parking, maps and directions to UH please check our Visiting Our College page.




What is lock step?

Lock step means the academic curriculum is chosen for the students in a manner that allows for comprehensive study. Participants are not able to choose any electives.

What courses are offered in the EMBA?

The program consists of 30 hours of core courses set by the college and 18 hours of elective courses chosen by an academic committee.

How long is the International Business Residency (IBR), and where do the classes visit?

The IBR is 7 days. The location varies and is decided upon by the instructor. Previously the students have gone to Singapore, Chile, Vietnam, Prague, and Spain.




How many people do you accept per year?

Although we do not have pre-set enrollment numbers, on average, we accept 40 students per year. After being accepted, your down payment holds your seat, and the program begins each year in August.

When is your application deadline?

The application deadline for the fall-start Executive MBA program is April 1 for international applicants and June 1 for domestic applicants. Please feel free to learn more about the EMBA application process on our website.

What is rolling admissions?

Rolling admissions is continued acceptance of applications and applicants throughout the year. After being accepted, your down payment holds your seat, and the program begins each year in August. Learn more about our EMBA application process.

Must I have an undergraduate degree to enter the EMBA program?

Yes, you must have a four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.

What undergraduate major is required?

No particular undergraduate major is required in order to pursue the EMBA.

What is your GMAT or GRE requirement?

Neither the GMAT nor the GRE is required for the Executive MBA program.

Do you accept transfer applicants?

Since the EMBA is a lock step program, we do not accept transfers from other colleges.

Who should fill out my appraisal letters?

Your current supervisor and a person that is familiar with your work should fill out the appraisal forms. Human resources, a previous supervisor or fellow colleague of the same or higher status are all people that you can use.

Is the application process different if I received my diploma from a foreign country?

If you received your diploma from a non-English speaking country you should visit our admissions requirements page to see if you must take the TOEFL exam. All graduate applicants, regardless of citizenship, must demonstrate proficiency in English to obtain admission to the university.

If you received your diploma from outside the U.S. you may require a transcript evaluation to verify that your degree is equivalent to a four year bachelor’s degree. For more information on what documents will need to be submitted, please visit our website.

Do you have information for outside sources that translates and transcribes the transcripts?

For a list of approved translators click here.



Cost & Financial Aid

How much is the EMBA program?

The cost for the Executive MBA Program is $74,700 for Texas residents. This cost includes registration, fees, books, all class materials, the International Business Residency, parking, and food. Please feel free to learn more about the EMBA tuition and fees on our website.

What does the cost include?

The price is all-inclusive: books, fees, international business trip, meals during class, parking, materials needed for class, and other miscellaneous items. Please feel free to learn more about the EMBA cost breakdown on our website.

How do I get financial aid?

Our Tuition and Costs page has details on applying and the loans available. You may also email the EMBA financial aid officer at

Who do I talk to about veteran benefits?

Find more information about resources and veteran benefits.



International Students

What considers me an International student?

An applicant will be considered International if they are not a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, or if the applicant’s last degree is from outside the U.S. To learn more about the EMBA application process for international students, please visit the Executive MBA Admissions & Requirements webpage.

How much is the International Application fee?

An $80 International application fee payment is required.

Am I required to take the TOEFL or how am I exempt?

All graduate applicants, regardless of citizenship status, must demonstrate proficiency in English to obtain admission to the university. To fulfill this requirement, applicants must satisfy one of the following criteria:

Baccalaureate degree (or higher) earned from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or at an institution at which English is the medium of instruction in the following countries: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Federated States of Micronesia Islands, Monserrat, New Zealand, Nigeria, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Helena, South Africa, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Ireland & Wales), United States, Virgin Islands and Zimbabwe.

Please be advised that Bauer College of Business Graduate and Professional Programs does not currently waive the English language requirement based on completion of UH Language and Culture Center Level 6. Our college-level requirements may differ from other University of Houston graduate programs.

When is the Fall and Spring International Admission deadline?

Fall admissions deadline for the EMBA program is April 1. Spring admissions deadline for the EMBA program is October 1. Please feel free to learn more about the EMBA application process on our website.

I have a baccalaureate degree from another country, how can I have my transcript evaluated?

The University of Houston Graduate School will handle and complete the evaluation of your transcripts. We do not currently accept outside evaluations, such as SpanTran or WES as official documents.

Do I have to have my transcripts translated to English?

Yes, all transcripts must be translated to English by either the school attended (upon request) or by an accreditation agency. For Country-Specific Guidelines, please visit our website.

What is the difference between having my transcripts translated and evaluated?

Translated – having your official transcripts transcribed to English for evaluation purposes.

Evaluated – An evaluation is done when we receive a foreign transcript. The University of Houston Graduate School will evaluate your baccalaureate degree or higher degree from an accredited international college or university and determine if you have the ability to pursue a graduate program or degree equivalency.

Although my education was completed overseas, I am now a U.S. citizen, so will UH waive the TOEFL/IELTS

No, unless you meet the conditions outlined in our admissions requirements page. Whether you are a US citizen (or permanent resident) is not the issue. You must take the TOEFL or IELTS unless you have completed a previous academic degree in one of the countries listed under the Requirements section of our website.