Department of Finance
Program for Financial Literacy
Websites for Financial Literacy, College, & Careers in Finance
Money Management: Cash Flow, Spending and Saving
- http://www.daveramsey.com: seven baby steps from Dave Ramsey, nationally acclaimed financial expert, on how to begin building wealth.
- http://www.dol.gov: the top 10 ways to prepare for retirement from the US Department of Labor.
- http://www.kiplinger.com: ten tactics for saving money such as setting up automatic deposits with your bank to seed your emergency fund.
- http://mutualfunds.about.com what mutual funds are and why they are such a popular investment choice for most Americans.
- http://www.fdic.gov: from FDIC, ways young people waste money and get into financial trouble, and how to avoid doing so.
- http://www.ftc.gov: the Federal Trade Commission provides steps to properly create a budget.
- http://www.usa.gov: information on how to set up a checking and savings account.
Understanding Your Credit Report
- http://www.federalreserve.gov: explains what your credit score is, why it’s important, and how it is calculated in a straightforward way.
- http://www.federalreserve.gov: shows how long it will take to pay off credit card balances making minimum payments using the total card balance and highest annual percentage rate (APR), why it is important to pay more than the minimum.
- http://ftc.gov: avoid common credit repair scams--red flags to look for and your rights as a consumer.
- http://www.federalreserve.gov: how to manage credit cards, and if used properly and responsibly, how they can be a benefit.
- http://www.consumercounseling.org/: a free consumer credit counseling service (a non-profit organization) that helps people handle and repay their debt.
How to Pay For College
- http://www.cfp.net Certified Financial Planning Board of Standards: ways to fund college; traditional approach in regards to saving, investing, and applying for financial aid.
- http://www.kiplinger.com: ways to pay for college including starting at a community college, taking AP courses in high school, or an associate degree or vocational training that can lead to many high paying jobs.
- http://www.ici.org: Investment Company Institute describes Section 529 plans, named for the section of the tax code that provides for favorable tax treatment (formally called “qualified tuition programs”) to cover future qualified education expenses. -->
- www.forbes.com: article in Forbes on funding a college education through an employee stock purchasing plan (ESPPs).
- http://www.collegeboard.com: resource for finding scholarships.
- http://www.uh.edu: The University of Houston, as do other schools, offers various kinds of financial assistance, ranging from scholarships based on academic merit to loans based on financial need. Financial incentives at UH include the Cougar Promise and the Tuition Rebate. Bauer College of Business (as do other colleges for specific majors) also has a scholarship program.
Financial Aspects of a Career Choice & Careers in Finance and Financial Planning
- http://www.cfp.net/: the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards website tells you everything you need to know about the industry and how to become a financial planner.
- http://www.bls.gov: the Occupational Outlook Handbook provides information on careers, such as expected salary, skills and abilities needed, job tasks, projected demand for the job in the near future.
- www.careers-in-finance.com: information on the various careers in finance, such as being in hedge funds, commercial and investment banking, corporate finance, and wealth management.
- http://richardstep.com: StrengthsFinder is a tool to identify your top five strengths, with explanations to help you understand them better, and hence better understanding yourself (available to UH business majors in GENB 2301).
Resources for Financial Education in the Classroom (K-12)
- http://www.federalreserveeducation.org: a link to 99 different lesson plans for K-adult from the Federal Reserve on the topics of personal finance, economics, banking, money, etc.
- http://www.councilforeconed.org/: free lesson plans to embed financial literacy in the classroom covering a vast array of topics from the Council for Economic Education.
- http://www.treasurydirect.gov : the Bureau of the Public Debt has launched TreasuryDirect® KIDS—a fun, interactive, educational website to engage students in grades 5-7 in the history and role of debt in America, and provides an introduction to Treasury securities designed to help teachers and parents build important lessons on saving and investing.
- http://www.sec.gov: helpful information for educators on how to improve their own financial situation, and information to help teachers smoothly integrate financial literacy into the classroom.
- http://www.irs.gov: the Understanding Taxes Teacher Site is an interactive tax education program for high school and community college classrooms with online lesson plans, activities, simulations, and resources for teachers and students.
- www.FDIC.com: how consumers should go about looking for a mortgage, questions to ask, and things to look for.
- www.daveramsey.com: free budgeting forms.
- www.ftc.com: ways to save money on gas from the Federal Trade Commission.
- www.finra.org: The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) provides a savings calculator to see how a consistent approach to investing can make your money grow and how to save for a house, a car, or other special purchase.
- www.Kiplinger.com: a resource when shopping for a car, for a deal that is fair and saves you money.
- www.militaryhub.com: Military Money, Education, and Lifestyle Topics
- www.uhmfi.org: MicroFinance Initiaive. Microfinance is the provision of financial services to low-income clients, including consumers and the self-employed, who traditionally lack access to banking and related services.
- Global Energy Management (GEM)
- Risk Management & Insurance Track (RMI)
- Faculty Research
- Finance Course Descriptions
- Finance Careers & Course Plans
- Latest Department News
- Program for Financial Literacy
- Finance Faculty Recruiting