Department of Finance
Program for Financial Literacy
Personal Financial Planning Track and Minor
A Personal Financial Planning Track in the finance major and a minor in Personal Financial Planning offer students structured options leading to careers in the financial services industry. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Personal financial advisors are projected to grow by 30 percent over the 2008–18 period, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. Growing numbers of advisors will be needed to assist the millions of workers expected to retire in the next 10 years.”
Personal Financial Planning Track
Finance majors interested in course work related to careers in personal financial planning may pursue a Personal Financial Planning Track in Finance and receive a Personal Financial Planning certificate of recognition from Bauer College by meeting the following requirements within the Finance Major:
- FINA 4320 - Investment Management Credit Hours: 3.0
- FINA 4330 - Corporate Finance Credit Hours: 3.0
- FINA 4352 - Personal Financial Planning Credit Hours: 3.0*
- FINA 4353 - Practicum in Personal Financial Planning Credit Hours: 3.0
- FINA 4397– Special Topics: Life Insurance and Annuities Credit Hours: 3.0
Select three credit hours from the following:
- FINA 4310 - Behavioral Finance: 3.0
- FINA 4322 - Security Financial Analysis: 3.0
- FINA 4323 - Investments and Mutual Fund Management Credit Hours: 3.0
- FINA 4396 - Finance Internship Credit Hours: 3.0
- or other finance courses at the 4000-level related to Personal Financial Planning (consult the finance advisor for an approved list)
Three credit hours of required advanced electives in business must be:
- ACCT 4331 - Federal Income Tax 1 - Individual Credit Hours: 3.0
Additional Elective Hours Required:
- Advanced Business Elective 3hrs (any 3000-4000 level business course)
- Advanced Electives 6hrs (any 3000-4000 level course)
- General Electives 6hrs (any 1000-4000 level course)
*Note: Students may not take both GENB 3300 Introduction to Personal Finance and FINA 4352 Personal Financial Planning without approval of program manager.
Select 6 hours of approved advanced electives in business. Recommended courses included: ACCT 4331 Federal Income Tax I - and Marketing courses in Professional Selling.
Personal Financial Planning Minor
Students interested in a minor with course work related to careers in personal financial planning may pursue a Personal Financial Planning minor by meeting the following requirements:
MATH 1313 and 1314, ACCT 2331, ECON 2304, MIS 3300, STAT 3331
Required Courses (15 semester credit hours):
- FINA 3332 and 4352
- Select 9 semester hours from FINA 4320, 4323, 4353, 4354, 4397 (Life Insurance and Annuities), 4396 (Internship in Finance), or any three semester credit hour finance course at the 4000-level related to Personal Financial Planning (consult the finance advisor for an approved list).
Students cannot count courses toward both the Personal Financial Planning Minor and toward the Finance major requirements or another business minor. These courses can be used to meet advanced business elective requirements, and advanced and general elective requirements for the B.B.A.
Nonbusiness majors seeking the Personal Financial Planning Minor must have the same grade point average requirements as students changing their major to pre-business at the time of filing for a minor.
- Global Energy Management (GEM)
- Risk Management & Insurance Track (RMI)
- Faculty Research
- Finance Course Descriptions
- Latest Department News
- Program for Financial Literacy