The Cougar Fund
About our investment fund
The Cougar Fund is a multi-million dollar private investment fund that holds equity securities that are traded on U.S. markets. The fund is managed by MBA and MS Finance candidates participating in the Graduate Certificate in Financial Services Management. These students attempt to add value to the portfolio by investing in undervalued stocks discovered through in-depth fundamental analysis of individual firms. Each stock considered for the Cougar Fund portfolio is required to undergo a thorough examination of its investment merits based on free cash flow valuation.
Management of the Cougar Fund is housed in the AIM Center for Investment Management. The Center provides state-of-the-art workstations that link satellite based feeds from Reuters, Thomson Financial, DataStream, with other services like Compustat, to local data and Bauer College proprietary analysis and valuation software. This integration of real time data in a technically sophisticated work environment facilitates the student managers' extensive due diligence research and provides them with an unparalleled experience in bringing financial and business concepts to real world decision making.
Cougar Investment Fund News
- Spring 2015 - Inside Bauer Magazine: MBA Student Organization Forms Strong Alliance of Female Professionals (PDF)
- October 2014 - Video: Cougar Fund hosts Jack and Jill of America group
- October 2014 - Bauer Cougar Investment Fund Group Shows Young Students in Family Organization the Financial Ropes
- Spring 2014 - Inside Bauer Magazine: Two brothers find Bauer's Cougar Fund instrumental in professional advancement (PDF)
- Spring 2014 - Inside Bauer Magazine: Cougar Fund Reaches Million Dollar Milestone (PDF)
- March 2014 - CIF Student Spotlight: Yuvarani Loganathan
- February 2014 - Cougar Fund earns more than $1 million in fourth quarter
- January 2013 - Being All You Can Be
- June 2012 - Two Bauer Students Recognized with CFA Society Scholarships
- July 2011 - Legendary Cougar Fund Team Still Making News
- April 2011 - Cougar Fund Students Among Best in Region
- September 2010 - CFA Society Toasts Cougar Investment Fund Team
- June 2010 - Cougar Fund Gave Alumni Tools to Excel in Investment
- May 2010 - Top Faculty on Campus Found at Bauer College
- March 2010 - Successful Alums in NYC Host Bauer Team Vying in CFA Finals
- February 2010 - UH Bauer Team Advances to NY
- December 2009 - Pres. Khator Celebrates Fall 2009 Graduates
- May 2009 - UH Bauer Commencement Honors Outstanding Graduate Students
- June 2008 - A Champion’s Salute
- April 2008 - Bauer Team Claims National Victory
- April 2008 - Bauer Team Tops Texas Schools
- June 2007 - Bauer College Cougar Fund Sets Record For New Investors
More About the Cougar Investment Fund
The Cougar Investment Fund, through the efforts of investors, Bauer faculty and students, has exceeded many expectations since the fund began in 2002. The fund’s mission is to teach master-level finance and MBA students how to become professional investment fund managers. It reflects Bauer College’s goal of creating programs where students experience what it takes to successfully apply business principles in the real world of business.
Out of approximately 6,000 university-based student-run investment funds in the U.S., the Cougar Investment Fund is one of four student run funds that relies on individual investors rather than on endowment funds. In turn, our students experience the real pressures of managing other people’s money.
The Cougar Fund illustrate Bauer’s innovative and unique approach to business education as well as the impact of a university student investment fund on preparing students to take on real business world scenarios. The experience graduates gain making the Cougar Fund successful is a big plus among employers and another reason why the Cougar Fund brings distinction to Bauer.