Graduate and Professional Programs
Master of Science in Global Energy Management
For information on the MS in Global Energy Management program, please contact:
Cullen Distinguished Chaired Professor of Finance, Chairperson of the Department of Finance, and Executive Director of the UH Global Energy Management Institute (GEMI).
The goal of the Master of Science in Global Energy Management program is to prepare graduates to advance their careers as managers in the energy industry by imparting both the knowledge of the business of energy and exposure to effective management skills.
- 36 hours (12 graduate courses)
- Interdisciplinary: includes courses from all 5 departments of the College
- Decision & Information Sciences (including Supply Chain Management)
- Management (including human resource managements and corporate strategy)
- 7.5 credits of Required Courses
- 22.5 credits of Prescribed Electives
- 6 credits of Free Electives
- Includes semester courses (3 cr.) and 7-week courses (1.5 cr.)
- All classes meet once a week 6-9 p.m.
According to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job creation in the energy sector has grown significantly faster than overall private sector employment in the past six years, with employment growth in the extraction and support segments of the oil and gas industry reporting growth over 35 percent. Since 2002, exploration and production of shale oil and gas has created an estimated 1 million of the 2.7 million jobs created overall in the United States, with analysts predicting robust growth in this sector until at least 2025. In addition, analysts expect fast job creation in clean energy or renewable industries (wind, solar, biofuels), with some studies estimating 4 million new full-time jobs by 2013.
Houston, considered the global commercial center for oil and gas production, is the gateway to jobs in the energy industry. Bauer College is home to the Global Energy Management Institute (GEMI), which provides graduate curriculum in energy management that is now internationally recognized. The MS in Global Energy Management program is the natural next step for Bauer and GEMI to serve the needs of the energy industry, giving students the knowledge of the business of energy and exposure to effective management skills.
No other school in the state offers a Master of Science in Global Energy Management.
The program is most relevant to those working in, or planning to work in the following areas:
- Energy management
- Energy trading
- Energy finance
- Four year undergraduate degree (or foreign equivalent) from an accredited institution
- Recent GRE or GMAT Score
- TOEFL for non-native English speakers with undergraduate degrees from non-U.S. educational institutions
- Personal essay on the fit between the degree and career objectives
- MBA & MS Specialized Programs
- Joint Degrees
- Energy MBA
- Current Students
- Information Sessions & Events
- Contact Us
As a Bauer MBA student, you will have access to a wide array of developmental, job search, networking and recruitment opportunities— coupled with career guidance from experienced and well-respected career specialists.
The Rockwell Career Center has an entire team of specialists who work exclusively with Bauer MBA students for professional development services.