Shijie Lu is an Assistant Professor of Marketing and Jerome Robinson Fellow at the University of Houston. He is a quantitative marketing researcher. His research interests primarily focus on online advertising, user-generated content, competitive strategy, and piracy.
His research has appeared in leading marketing journals, including Marketing Science, Management Science, Journal of Marketing, and Journal of Consumer Research. His past recognition includes the INFORMS Society for Marketing Science dissertation proposal award, an honorable mention in the Marketing Science Institute's Clayton dissertation proposal competition, and the Lucile and Leroy Melcher Excellence in Research Award from Bauer.
Dr. Lu received his Ph.D. in business administration (marketing) from the University of Southern California, where he also earned a master's degree in economics. He earned his B.S. in mathematics and B.A. in economics from the Peking University. Prior to joining the UH, he served on the faculty at the UNC Chapel Hill.
- Lu, Shijie, Dai Yao, Xingyu Chen, and Rajdeep Grewal (2021), "Do Larger Audiences Generate Greater Revenues under Pay What You Want? Evidence from a Live Streaming Platform," Marketing Science, 40(5), 964-984.
- Wang, Xin (Shane), Shijie Lu, Xi Li, Mansur Khamitov, and Neil Bendle (2021), "Audio Mining: The Role of Vocal Tone in Persuasion," Journal of Consumer Research, 48(2), 189-211 (lead article).
- Lu, Shijie, Koushyar Rajavi, and Isaac Dinner (2021), "The Effect of Over-the-Top Media Services on Piracy Search: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Marketing Science, 40(3), 548-568.
- Ryoo, Jun Hyun (Joseph), Xin (Shane) Wang, and Shijie Lu (2021), "Do Spoilers Really Spoil? Using Topic Modeling to Measure the Effect of Spoiler Reviews on Box Office Revenue," Journal of Marketing, 85(2), 70-88.
- Lu, Shijie, Xin (Shane) Wang, and Neil Bendle (2020), "Does Piracy Create Online Word of Mouth? An Empirical Analysis in the Movie Industry," Management Science, 66(5), 2140-2162.
- Lu, Shijie and Sha Yang (2017), "Investigating the Spillover Effect of Keyword Market Entry in Sponsored Search Advertising," Marketing Science, 36(6), 976-998.
- Lu, Shijie, Yi Zhu, and Anthony Dukes (2015), "Position Auctions with Budget Constraints: Implications for Advertisers and Publishers," Marketing Science, 34(6), 897-905.
- Yang, Sha, Shijie Lu, and Xianghua Lu (2014), "Modeling Competition and Its Impact on Paid-Search Advertising," Marketing Science, 33(1), 134-153.
Academic Associations & Editorial BoardsJournal of Marketing Research
- MARK 7365 (Masters - MS/MBA) - Intro to Digital Marketing
- MARK 4365 (Undergraduate) - Intro to Digital Marketing