Associate Professor - Bauer Fellow
Nina (Ni) Huang is an Associate Professor with tenure and Bauer Fellow at the Bauer College of Business, University of Houston. Professor Huang earned her doctorate at Temple University's Fox School of Business. She also holds master's degrees in both business research and advertising from Michigan State University. Prior to joining Bauer College, Professor Huang was a faculty member in the W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University.
Dr. Huang conducts research that is use-inspired and theoretically grounded. Her research program focuses on understanding individuals' usage of information technology (IT) and digital artifacts and how to optimally design those IT and digital artifacts in various contexts, such as digital learning, online knowledge exchange, online healthcare, mobile applications, and digital commerce, etc.
Professor Huang's research approaches involve using field and online experiments, econometric analyses, and text mining methods to analyze user behaviors. Her work has been published in Management Science, MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Journal of Management Information Systems, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, and Journal of Consumer Psychology.
- Online Education and Knowledge Exchange
- Online Matching Platforms
- Online Healthcare
- Future of Work
- Human-AI Interaction
- Social Media Analytics
- Online Commerce and Content Platforms
Areas of Expertise
- Field experiments
- Online experiments
- Laboratory experiments
- Econometric analyses
- Machine learning applications
- Mixed methods
- Huang N, Yan Z, Yin H. 2021. Effects of Online-Offline Service Integration on e-Healthcare Providers: A Quasi-Natural Experiment, Production and Operations Management, forthcoming
- Hong Y, Peng J, Burtch G, Huang N. 2020. Just DM Me (Politely): Direct Messaging, Politeness, and Hiring Outcomes in Online Labor Markets, Information Systems Research, forthcoming
- Huang N, Mojumder P, Sun T, Lv J, Golden J. 2020. Not Registered? Please Sign-up First: A Randomized Field Experiment on the Ex-ante Registration Request, Information Systems Research, forthcoming
- Huang N, Zhang J, Burtch G, Li X, Chen P. 2020. Combating Procrastination on MOOCs via Optimal Calls-to-Action, Information Systems Research, forthcoming
- Sun T, Viswanathan S, Huang N, Zheleva E. 2020. Designing Promotion Incentive to Embrace Social Sharing: Evidence from Field and Online Experiments, MIS Quarterly, forthcoming
- Huang N, Burtch G, Hong Y, Pavlou PA. 2020. Unemployment and Worker Participation in the Gig Economy: Evidence from An Online Labor Market, Information Systems Research. 31(2):431-448.
- Huang N, Sun T, Chen P, Golden J. 2019. Word-of-Mouth System Implementation and Customer Conversion: A Randomized Field Experiment, Information Systems Research. 30(3):711-1105.
- Huang N, Burtch G, Gu B, Hong Y, Liang C, Wang K, Fu D, Yang B. 2019. Motivating User-Generated Content with Performance Feedback: Evidence from Randomized Field Experiments, Management Science. 65(1):327-345.
- Kuang L, Huang N, Hong Y, Yan Z. 2019. Spillover Effects of Financial Incentives on User Engagement: Evidence From an Online Knowledge Exchange Platform, Journal of Management Information Systems. 36(1):289-320.
- Huang N, Hong Y, Burtch G. 2017. Social Network Integration and User Content Generation: Evidence from Natural Experiments, MIS Quarterly. 41(4):1035-1058 (Lead Article).
- Hong Y, Huang N, Burtch G, Li C. 2016. Culture, Conformity and Emotional Suppression in Online Reviews, Journal of the Association for Information Systems. 17(11):308-329.
- Huang N, Burtch G, Hong Y, Polman E. 2016. Effects of Multiple Psychological Distances on Construal and Consumer Evaluation: A Field Study of Online Reviews, Journal of Consumer Psychology. 26(4):474-482.
Associate Editor, MIS Quarterly. January 1, 2020-
Associate Editor, MIS Quarterly Special Issue on Digital Resilience. November 30, 2020-March 15, 2022.
Ph.D. Business Administration, Temple University
M.S. Business Research, Michigan State University
M.A. Advertising, Michigan State University