Dr. Zhao is an assistant professor of business analytics in the Department of Decision and Information Sciences at the University of Houston. Before joining the University of Houston, he served as a senior operations research specialist in Advanced Analytics and Optimization Services (AAOS) group at SAS from 2009 to 2015. He received a PhD degree in the Department of Industrial & System Engineering at the University at Buffalo in 2008 and was a postdoctoral researcher in Business Analytics & Mathematical Sciences (BAMS) group at IBM T.J. Watson research center from 2008 to 2009.
- Data Driven Optimization, Risk Management, Healthcare, Big Data Analytics.
- M. Zhao and N.K. Freeman, 2018, "Robust Sourcing from Suppliers under Ambiguously Correlated Major Disruption Risks," Production and Operations Management forthcoming.
- N.K. Freeman, M. Zhao and S.H. Melouk, 2018, "An Iterative Approach for Case Mix Planning Under Uncertainty," Omega: International Journal of Management Science 76, 160-173.
- M. Zhao, K. Huang and B. Zeng, 2017, "A Polyhedral Study on Chance Constrained Program with Random Right-Hand Side," Mathematical Programming 166(1), 19-64.
- N. Esquejo, K. Miller, K. Norwood, I. Oliveira, R. Pratt and M. Zhao, 2015, "Statistical and Optimization Techniques for Laundry Portfolio Optimization at P&G," Interfaces 45(5), 444-461.
- I.R. de Farias JR., E. Kozyreff and M. Zhao, 2014, "Branch-and-Cut for Complementarity-Constrained Optimization," Mathematical Programming Computation 6(4), 365-403.
- I.R. de Farias JR., R. Gupta, E. Kozyreff and M. Zhao, 2013, "Branch-and-Cut for Separable Piecewise Linear Optimization: Computation," Mathematical Programming Computation 5(1), 75-112.
- I.R. de Farias JR. and M. Zhao, 2013, "A Polyhedral Study of the Semi-Continuous Knapsack Problem," Mathematical Programming 142(1) 169-203.
- M. Zhao and I.R. de Farias JR., 2013, "The Piecewise Linear Optimization Polytope: New Inequalities and Intersection with Semi-Continuous Constraints," Mathematical Programming 142(1), 217-255.
- I.R. de Farias JR., H. Zhao, and M. Zhao, 2010, ''A Family of Inequalities Valid for the Robust Single Machine Scheduling Polyhedron," Computers and Operations Research 37(9), 1610-1614.
- M. Zhao and I.R. de Farias JR., 2008, "A Note on the Continuous Mixing Set," Operations Research Letters 36(6), 726-733.
- I.R. de Farias JR., M. Zhao, and H. Zhao, 2008, "A Special Ordered Set Approach for Optimizing a Discontinuous Separable Piecewise Linear Function," Operations Research Letters 36(2), 234-238.
- M. Zhao and I.R. de Farias JR., 2008, "The Mixing-MIR Set with Divisible Capacities," Mathematical Programming 115(1), 73-103.
- SCM 8397: Supply Chain Modeling (Ph.D.)
- BZAN 7320: Business Modeling for Competitive Advantage (MBA)
- BZAN 6310: Quantitative Analysis for Business Decisions (MBA)
- SCM 4330: Business Modeling & Analysis (Undergraduate)
- BZAN 3310: Intro. to Business Analytics (Undergraduate)
PhD in Operations Research at State University of New York at Buffalo