Dr. Fan has been an Assistant Professor of Accounting at the C. T. Bauer College of Business since June 2011. Prior to joining the University of Houston, she had taught financial, cost, and intermediate accounting at the University of Oklahoma, where she received her Ph.D. in May 2011. Professor Fan's primary research interests are capital market-based accounting issues, including the misclassification of financial statement information, the portfolio approach of managing earnings, and voluntary disclosures. Her work has been published in high quality peer-reviewed academic journals, such as The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, Management Science, and Journal of International Accounting Research. She has served as an ad hoc referee for Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance, Journal of International Accounting Research, and Accounting Horizons. Professor Fan enjoys teaching undergraduate financial accounting and co-teaching an introductory doctoral seminar on accounting research with her colleagues at UH.
- Capital market-based accounting research
- Misclassification of financial statement information
- The portfolio approach to earnings management
- Voluntary disclosures
Areas of Expertise
- Financial accounting
- Managerial accounting
- Fan, Y., W. Thomas, and X. Yu. 2018. The Impact of Financial Covenants in Private Loan Contracts on Classification Shifting. Management Science (forthcoming).
- Fan, Y. and X. Liu. 2017. Misclassifying Core Expenses as Special Items: Cost of Goods Sold or Selling, General, and Administrative Expenses? Contemporary Accounting Research 34(1): 400-426.
- Fan, Y., C. Wang, and W. Thomas. 2015. The Effect of Regulatory Benchmarks on Firm Reporting Behavior. Journal of International Accounting Research 14(1): 85-107.
- Fan, Y., A. Barua, W. Cready, and W. Thomas. 2010. Managing Earnings Using Classification Shifting: Evidence from Quarterly Special Items. The Accounting Review 85(4): 1303-1323.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- American Accounting Association
- Chinese Accounting Professors' Association of North America
- MH 390L
- No Web Site Currently
- Principles - Financial Accounting (Undergraduate)
- Accounting Research Paradigm (Doctoral)
Ph. D. University of Oklahoma
M.B.A. University of Scranton