Rockwell Career Center
The Bauer College of Business is fortunate to be located in the city of Houston and we understand the needs our employers have for interns. Employers can post business internship assignments through our Bauer Career Gateway system free of charge.
An Internship is a semester-long, supervised work experience related to a student's major or career goal. The work experience may be part-time or full-time, paid or unpaid, for credit or not and is primarily in an off-campus environment. An important element that distinguishes an internship from a short-term job or volunteer assignment is that an intentional "learning agenda" is structured into the experience.
Employers recruiting students enrolled in the Bauer Internship Program gain:
- Access to highly qualified candidates capable of handling the challenges presented in today's workplace.
- Applicants with proven academic performance.
- Added value to recruiting process by utilizing Interns as a pipeline for full-time hires.
How can my intern sign up for academic credit?
There are certain prerequisites and guidelines students must have in order to receive internship credit. Please ask your students to refer to the internship section of our website.
How to post your internship position?
If you are seeking interns and are interested in posting a position with us, please review our sample internship job postings and or review our
Recruiter Guide and register in our Bauer Career Gateway system.
What Qualifies As An Internship?
The Department of Labor (DOL), has set forth specific criteria in regards to paid and non-paid internships. In order to determine if an internship may be unpaid, the following six (6) criteria must be met:
- The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
- The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
- The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
- The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
- The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
- The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.
If all of the factors above are met, an employment relationship does not exist under the FLSA, and the Act’s minimum wage and overtime provisions do not apply to the intern.
Requirements for RCC Internships
- Position allows students to gain professional work experience that is specific to their major or career path
- Pursue an opportunity that is academic in nature and/ or credit-worthy
- Detailed job description that includes specific duties, daily tasks and projects, and provides guidance with a desired outcome
- Work for at least a semester with the same employer, either full or part-time
- Provides an assigned direct supervisor and allows the student to get involved with managers, board meetings, committees, etc.
- Understand the mundane and necessary parts of any position (such as making copies, faxing, etc.) while not having those as the main functions of the Internship
- Produce deliverables upon completion of the Internship, such as a paper, presentation, etc.
- No more than twelve (12) percent of the intern’s duties may be spent on tasks such as cold-calling
Typically, resume book access is not automatically granted unless the employer has a current posting for that particular position on the system. For more information, please feel free to contact a Recruiting Manager.
Internship Salary Information
The average hourly salaries reported for interns for 2009-2010 are $13.32-17.96 for Bachelor-level candidates. For additional information or resources please contact Brett Hobby, Director, Employer Services at bhobby@Uh.edu or 832-842-6130.
If You Have Hired an Intern ...
It is very important that you report internship information. If you have hired an intern to work with your organization please report that you have done so. Please e-mail Troy Hopkins to report interns hired.
- Business Career Fairs
- News & Events
- About RCC
- Contact Us
Follow the RCC:
Walk In Hours
|BBA & MSACCY Counseling||Mon. 3 – 4 p.m.|
|Tues. 2:30 – 4:30 p.m.|
|Wed. & Thurs. 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.|