Associate Professor - Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs
Dr. Noland received his Ph.D. in Accountancy from the University of Illinois. He is a licensed CPA in the State of Texas and a member of the Houston Chapter of the TSCPA.He has taught courses in financial accounting, managerial accounting, financial statement analysis, auditing, and empirical research in financial accounting. His research interests include the study of the economic value of accounting information and independent audits. His paper "The Value of Auditor Assurance: Evidence from Loan Pricing" (with D. Blackwell and D. Winters) received the first Notable Contribution to the Auditing Literature Award. His teaching awards include the Payne Teaching Excellence Award and the El Paso Faculty Achievement Award. He has also received the Houston Alumni Organization Outstanding Faculty Award. Dr. Noland has served as Chair of the Department of Accountancy and Taxation (2001-2004) and is the current director of the Certificate in Accountancy Program.
- The study of the economic value of accounting information and independent audits
- "The sum-of-years' digits depreciation method: use by SEC filers." (2010), Journal of Finance and Accountancy.
- "The Interest Rate Effects of Certification Awards and Underwriter Types in the School District Bond Market." with G. Summers, Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal, Volume 14 (2010), Number 1, pp. 63-82.
- "An Introduction to the U.S. Municipal Bond Market." (2008) with G. Summers, International Journal of Governmental Financial Management (formerly, Public Fund Digest), Volume VIII, Number 2.
- "An Analysis and Comparison of Bankers' Perceptions of Stock Options." (2008) with G. Gamble, M. Geddie, and C. Tollerson, Academy of Banking Studies Journal, Volume 7.
- "Leasing Agreements and Their Impact on Financial Ratios of Small Companies" (2006) forthcoming in Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal, Volume 10, Number 2.
- "Bankers' Perceptions of Stock Dividends" (2005) with G. Gamble, M. Geddie, and C. Tollerson, International Finance and Accounting,Volume 42, Number 2.
- 350 I
- No Web Site Currently
- ACCT 3367 / ACCT 5367 Intermediate Accounting I
University of Illinois