Michael J. Murray
Clinical Assistant Professor
Michael J. (Mike) Murray, PhD, PE is a Clinical Professor of Supply Chain Management in the department of Decision and Information Sciences at the University of Houston, and Chief Operating Officer of Cougar Investment Fund, LLC. He earned his PhD and MBA at the University of Houston, holds a BS in Chemical Engineering from Georgia Tech, and is a registered professional engineer.
Mike has significant business experience and a diverse portfolio of skills developed over a successful career in manufacturing operations, corporate planning and business consulting. His operations experience includes positions as both a production superintendent and as a manager of engineering/technical development for Lyondell Chemical and its predecessor, as well as roles in manufacturing evaluations and corporate planning during and after Lyondell's Initial Public Offering. Mike's business consulting experience includes positions as a senior consultant in KPMG's (now BearingPoint) supply chain management practice, and as a senior petrochemical/refining consultant for Chemical Market Associates, Inc. (now part of IHS, Inc.) and Jacobs Consultancy.
- Building on a successful career in manufacturing operations and management consulting, my primary research interests are business analytics, process economics and finance, decision support systems (LP/ERP), continuous production systems, and supply chain modeling and analysis.
Areas of Expertise
- Financial Modeling
- Business Analytics
- Petroleum refining and petrochemical operations
- Optimization and Simulation
- Murray, M. J., Chin, W. W. and Anderson-Fletcher, E. (2012). Satisfaction with Enterprise Systems in Supply Chain Management. 7th International Conference on Partial Least Squares and Related Methods, Houston, TX, May 19 – 22, 2012.
- Murray, M. J. (2012). Teaching Business Intelligence Concepts with PowerPivot.
- Reducing order variability in complex supply networks with Demand Portfolio Management
- Improving the Value of Enterprise Systems in Supply Chain Management
- Decision Sciences Institute
- Global Manufacturing Research Group
- Atlanta Braves baseball
- Spring 2015:
- SCM 7380 Enterprise Operations & Business Intelligence
- BZAN 7320 Business Modeling for Competitive Advantage
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
Activities & Interests
PhD Operations Management University of Houston
MBA (finance) University of Houston
BS Chemical Engineering Georgia Institute of Technology
Professional Engineer, Texas
Bauer Faculty & Staff Directory
Find by Program
Find by Department
Find by Office
Find by Type