Jackie Kacen holds a Ph.D. from University of Illinois. Dr. Kacen is Clinical Professor of Marketing. Before joining the Marketing Department she was on the faculty at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the University of Michigan-Dearborn, was a Visiting Scholar at the University of California-Berkeley, and was an Advertising Educational Foundation Visiting Professor at J. Walter Thompson, Detroit.
Professor Kacen is a member of the editorial review board of The Journal of Advertising and her papers have been published in the Journal of Business Research, Journal of Consumer Psychology, British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, and Advances in Consumer Research
- Impulse Buying
- Consumer Moods
- Gender Issues in Marketing
Areas of Expertise
- Consumer Behavior
- Marketing Research
- "Spontaneous Selection: The Influence of Product and Retailing Factors on Consumer Impulse Purchases," Jacqueline J. Kacen, James D. Hess and Doug Walker, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 19(6), 578-588.
- "Cultural Influences on Consumer Satisfaction with Impulse and Planned Purchase Decisions," Julie A. Lee and Jacqueline J. Kacen, Journal of Business Research, 2008 (March), 61 (3), 265-272.
- "Mood Management Dynamics : The Interrelationship between Consumer Mood and Behavior" James D. Hess, Jacqueline J. Kacen, and Junyong Kim, forthcoming in British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 2006.
- Kacen, Jacqueline J. and Julie A. Lee (2002), "The Influence of Culture on Consumer Impulsive Buying Behavior" Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 12 (2), 163-176.
- Kacen, Jacqueline J. (2000)," Girrrl Power and Boyyy Nature: The Past, Present, and Paradisal Future of Consumer Gender Identity," Marketing Intelligence and Planning, Vol. 18, 6/7, 345-355.
- Lee, Julie A. and Jacqueline J. Kacen (1999), "The Relationship between Independent and Interdependent Self-concepts and Reasons for Purchase," Journal of Euromarketing, Vol. 8, No. 1 / 2, 83-99.
- Kacen, Jacqueline J. and Michelle Nelson, (2002), "We've Come a Long Way, Baby - Or Have We? Sexism in Advertising Revisited," in Proceedings of the Sixth Conference on Gender, Marketing, and Consumer Behavior, ed. E. Tissier-Desbordes and P. Maclaren, Paris: ESCP-EAP Printing Services, 291-308.
- Kacen, Jacqueline J. and Michelle Nelson (1999), "Girrrl Power and Boyyy Nature: Transforming Gender Identities," in Proceedings of the Marketing Paradiso Conclave, ed. S. Brown and A. Patterson, Londonderry: University of Ulster, 211-221.
- Kacen, Jacqueline J. (1998), "A Conceptual Overview of Consumers' Mood Management Strategies," 1998 American Marketing Association Winter Educators' Conference: Marketing Theory and Applications, Vol. 9, ed. D. Grewal and C. Pechmann, Chicago, IL: AMA, 140-146.
- Lee, Julie A. and Jacqueline J. Kacen (1998), "Cultural Influences on Impulsive Consumer Buying," in Proceedings of the 1998 Winter Conference of the Society for Consumer Psychology, ed. M. C. Campbell and K. Machleit, Austin, TX: Society for Consumer Psychology, 127-131.
- Lee, Julie A., Mark Patton, Jae Wook Kim, and Jacqueline Kacen (1998), "Assessing a Model of Cross-Cultural Consumer Behavior," in Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 25, ed. J. W. Alba and J. W. Hutchinson, Provo, UT: Association for Consumer Research, 208-210.
- Kacen, Jacqueline J. and Julie A. Lee (1997), "A Cross-Cultural Examination of Impulsive Consumer Buying," in Proceedings of the Sixth Symposium on Cross-Cultural Consumer and Business Studies, ed. S. M. Smith, Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 356-360.
- Kacen, Jacqueline J. (1996), "Expressing Our Feelings: A Gendered Look at the Process of Mood Management," in Proceedings of the Third Conference on Gender, Marketing, and Consumer Behavior, ed. J. Costa, Salt Lake City, UT: University of Utah Printing Service, 74-91.
- Kacen, Jacqueline J. (1994), "Phenomenological Insights into Moods and Mood-related Consumer Behaviors," in Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 21, ed. C. T. Allen and D. R. John, Provo, UT: Association for Consumer Research, 519-525.
- Kacen, Jacqueline J. (1998), "Evaluating Product Packaging," "The International Marketing Plan," and "Cross-Cultural Marketing: Taking the Brand Local?" in Great Ideas for Teaching Marketing, ed. C. W. Lamb, Jr., J. F. Hair, Jr., and C. McDaniel, Cincinnati, OH: South-Western, 15-16, 174-176.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Editorial review board member, The Journal of Advertising
- American Academy of Advertising
- American Marketing Association
- Association for Consumer Research
- Society for Consumer Psychology
Activities & InterestsFaculty Advisor, American Marketing Association Student Chapter, University of Houston
- GENB 7A97 MBA Business Communications
- MARK 3336 Elements of Marketing Administration (Honors Section)
- MARK 4362 Applied Buyer Behavior
- MARK 4367 Advertising and Promotion Management
Ph.D. Business Administration
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Bauer Faculty & Staff Directory
Find by Program
Find by Department
Find by Office
Find by Type