Up Next™ Academic Success Program 2012
UH Bauer College has partnered with The Princeton Review to provide freshmen Pre-business students with the tools to be successful as they transition to college through a program called the “Up Next™ Academic Success Program.” In order to participate in Up Next™ you must be enrolled at UH for at least 12 hours during the Fall 2012 semester.
At Up Next™, you will learn how to:
- Great Expectations: Achieve Your College Goals
- Civil Discourse Inside and Outside the Classroom
- Making the Grade: Tools for Academic Success
- Critical Thinking and Research
- Creating Your Community
When & Where?
The Up Next™ program will be held in Melcher Hall (the business building) on the UH Campus on August 13th-17th. There are two sessions to choose from: 8:30am - 12:30pm or 1:00pm - 5:00pm. In addition to the five-day summer program, there are 24 hours of live on-line follow-up sessions (4 hours per topic) throughout the Fall 2012 semester.
The program is free of charge to students, and by completing all 48 hours of the program, you will be eligible for a $500 scholarship! The cost of the program and scholarship are generously sponsored by The Baxter Trust. The main reason to participate is the results. On average, students in the program outperform those not in the program. Here are the results from the Summer/Fall 2011 Up Next™ Program:
- RETENTION: Out of 159 freshman students for Fall 2011, 30% went through part or all of the UpNext™ program, with 100% retention rate compared to 95.5% for the others, a 5% difference.
- ACADEMIC SUCCESS: We define academic success as a 2.5 or higher GPA required to file a degree plan. Of those who went through the entire program, 94.3% were academically successful compared to 83% who were academically successful for those who did not participate, an 11% difference.
- GPA: The Mean GPA was 0.33 points higher for participants than non-participants. Of students on Freshman Academic Notice—below a 2.0 GPA—by the end of their first semester, 14.3% were non-participants, versus only 2.9% of those who went through the entire program.
Applications for Summer/Fall 2012 are now closed.
We are confident that if you complete the Up Next™ program, you will be ready to excel as a business major.
If you have questions, please contact Frank Kelley, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Business Programs, at (713) 743-4912 or firstname.lastname@example.org.