Leanne Atwater joined the University of Houston in July 2008. Dr. Atwater earned her bachelor's and Master's degrees from San Diego State University and worked as a personnel research psychologist for the Navy Personnel Research and Development Center. She completed her Ph.D. in social/organizational psychology at Claremont Graduate School in 1985.
Dr. Atwater is excited about leading the department to become widely recognized as a center for excellence in leadership education and research, as well as one of the most highly regarded management departments in the country. The department has recently added a Minor in Leadership for business and non-business majors, as well as a Leadership Certificate for MBA students.
She is an active researcher with recent publications including a recent book entitled "Leadership, Feedback and the Open Communication Gap" co-written with David Waldman. She continues to pursue her love of research and has published articles in top journals on the topics of leadership, feedback processes and most recently counter-productive work behavior.
She teaches classes in leadership and organizational behavior at the undergraduate, MBA and executive MBA levels.
- Perry, S., Witt, A., Penny, L., & Atwater, L. (in press) The downside of goal-focused leadership: Exploring the exhaustion effect among unmotivated workers. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Carmeli, A., Atwater, L., Levi, A. (2011). How leadership enhances employee's Knowledge sharing at work: The intervening roles of relational and organizational identification. Journal of Technology Transfer.
- Fleenor, J., Smither, J., Atwater, L., Braddy, P., & Sturm, R. (2010). Self-other rating agreement in leadership: A review. (Invited) Leadership Quarterly Yearly Review.
- Walker, A., Smither, J., Atwater, L., Domminick, P., Brett, J., & Reilly, R. (2010). Personality and multisource feedback improvement: A longitudinal investigation. Journal of Behavioral and Applied Management, 175-204. (Best Paper Award).
- Atwater, L., Wang, M., Smither, J., & Fleenor, J. (2009). Are cultural characteristics associated with the relationship between self and others' ratings of leadership? Journal of Applied Psychology, 94, 4, 876-886.
- Atwater, L., & Carmeli, A. (2009). Leader-member exchange, feelings of energy and involvement in creative work. Leadership Quarterly.20.264-275.
- Smither, J., Brett, J., & Atwater, L. (in press). What do leaders recall about multi-source feedback? Journal of Leadership and Organization Studies.
- Atwater, L., Brett, J., & Charles, A. (2007). The delivery of workplace discipline: Lessons learned. Organizational Dynamics, 36, 4, 392-403.
- Atwater, L., Brett, J., & Charles, A. (2007). Multi-source feedback: Lessons learned, and implications for practice. Human Resource Management Journal, 46, 285-307.
- Atwater, L., & Brett, J. (2006). Feedback format: Does it influence managers' reactions to feedback? Journal of Organizational and Occupational Psychology, 79, 517-532.
- Atwater, L., & Brett, J. (2006). 360 degree feedback to managers: Does it result in changes in employee attitudes? Group and Organization Management, 31, 5, 578-600.
- 315L Melcher Hall
- No Web Site Currently
B.A. - San Diego State University - Psychology
M.A. - San Diego State University - Psychology
Ph.D. - Claremont Graduate School - Social/Organizational Psychology