Information for Current UH Students - Non-business
General Questions and Academic Advising for Non-Business Students
Answers to general questions about becoming a business major, including admission requirements and procedures, are available through our General Advising Staff located at the front desk in Room 262 of Melcher Hall. Current UH students who are not yet business majors should first pursue advising from their UScholars advisor (if they are undeclared) or from their declared major advisor for questions.
Before You Apply: What does “Pre-business” mean?
Any current UH student who:
- wants to be a business major,
- meets all Pre-business application requirements (see below), and
- applies online (see below)
will be approved to become a Pre-business major and member of the UH Bauer College. After this initial step, they then declare a specific business major (Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Management, Marketing, Management Information Systems, or Supply Chain Management) by ‘filing a degree plan’ before their junior year. Filing a degree plan in business has specific UH GPA and course completion requirements. Attend a BBA Basics Info Session to find out more!
Step 1: Pre-business Application Requirements
In order to become Pre-business, you must complete the following steps before applying:
- Update your myUH student record with any new transfer work, if applicable. Your academic records must be accurate for us to review your application. Send updated transcripts to the University of Houston and wait for an official transfer evaluation before you submit your application. You may view your transfer credit online via your myUH account.
- Meet Admission Requirements:
Prior to August 26th, 2013, the criteria for a transfer student or UH non-business student with 15-60 semester hours of college credit to be admitted to the Bauer College of Business as a pre-business major are;
Students with more than 60 semester hours of college credit must meet the same criteria, but the calculation of cumulative grade point average is based on the last 60 hours (if the 60th hour occurs in the middle of a semester, all grades of that semester are included in the calculation).
- a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average, including any attempted transfer courses, and
- if any courses have been attempted at the University of Houston, at least a 2.5 or higher cumulative grade point average at the University of Houston.
NOTE: Effective Fall 2013, UH students who do not meet requirements to change their major to pre-business by the end of the semester in which they complete 45 or more hours are not eligible to change their major to pre-business. Transfer students admitted to UH with 45 or more hours are not eligible to change their major to pre-business. Also, students will be required to have a minimum of 30 hours to change their major to business.
- Attend a BBA Basics Session. (Strongly recommended, but not required.)
- Have a working, valid UH Email Account. Applications with non-working UH e-mails will not be processed.
Step 2: Submit Application
Change of Major Form
Step 3: Await Approval or Disapproval via
You will be notified via your UH email the first day of each semester of your approval or disapproval after your request is completely processed.
What do I do if I am approved? Congratulations! If you are approved you are required to meet with your pre-business advisor, which is assigned based on your last name. You may schedule your advising appointment online. Pre-business advising is by appointment only.
What do I do if I am disapproved? Please know that there are other options to help you reach your goal to graduate with an undergraduate degree. You may refer to the UH majors and minors website in exploring other majors at UH. Also, there is a list of alternative majors to business which may be combined with the Business Foundations minor. Your GPA calculation used in determining an admission decision may be obtained by emailing email@example.com. It is our hope that you will be able to find the right major for you and that you may continue working towards earning your undergraduate degree.
If you have any difficulty with this application
process, you may contact the Office of Undergraduate Business Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.