Bauer College Excel Policy
Below is the new college policy regarding the creation and use of excel files:
- All excel spreadsheets must be password protected
- All business related spreadsheets should be located on a college network server and not on local machines
- When possible, Social Security Numbers (SSN) should not be contained in a spreadsheet and HA numbers used instead
- If SSN is required, this information should be contained in a hidden field
Procedures for sharing information:
- Sensitive data, such as student grades, addresses or social security numbers, donor information, and confidential employee information should not be sent as an attachment via email. To share files, Bauer Staff must place the password protected file on a shared network drive, and provide users with the password via phone rather than by email.
- For non sensitive data that must be shared via email, do not include the password in the same email, but use phone or another email to convey the password.
- Spreadsheets containing sensitive data should have a unique password other than the system default password.
Please note that this policy pertains to MS Excel documents but comparable security conscious measures should be applied to all Bauer documents and email transmissions.
Failure to comply with this policy may lead to disciplinary action, including employment termination.