1. How many students do you usually admit each year?
2. How many applications do you usually receive each year?
3. Is there a minimum GRE/GMAT requirement?
If one’s GMAT/GRE score is below the 90 percentile, one’s chance of admission is slim. Students in the Class of 2012 have GMAT scores ranged from 710 to 770. Admission decisions, however, are not based solely on your GMAT/GRE scores. We look at all parts of your application very carefully.
4. What is the minimum GPA requirement?
Students in the Class of 2012 have GPAs ranged from 3.52 to 4.00.
5. Do I have to have an Accounting degree in order to apply for the Ph.D. program in Accounting?
It is not required. An ideal applicant would have a strong grasp of the following knowledge:
- Linear Algebra
- Probability and Statistics
- Intermediate Accounting I
- Intermediate Accounting II
- Advanced Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis
6. What do you look for in the statement of purpose?
- Why you want to be a Ph.D.
- Why you are interested in accounting
- Why you choose University of Houston
- How you can commit to five years of nonstop hard work.
7. How long will it take for me to complete my Ph.D. Program?
Five years of full-time study.
8. Are the comprehensive exams difficult to pass?
Yes, very difficult. Every year in the past there were always students who did not pass the exams.
9. What kinds of documents in general do I have to send over as my application?