Vanessa M. Patrick
Professor - Director of Doctoral Programs
Dr. Vanessa Patrick is a Bauer Professor of Marketing, Director of the PhD Program in Marketing and Faculty Advisor to the Bauer Women's Society at the Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston. She has a PhD in Business from the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, an MBA in Marketing and a BS degree in Microbiology and Biochemistry from Bombay University in India. Her research deals primarily with the psychology that underlies the two sides of the pleasure coin. On one hand she studies the pursuit of pleasure in her work dealing with art and aesthetics, hedonics and luxury branding. On the other hand, she investigates strategies by which individuals can successfully manage the pull of pleasure in her work on self-control and the interplay of affect and control. Her research has appeared in the Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Psychology, Journal of Retailing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science and numerous other academic journals. In 2012, Dr. Vanessa Patrick was named one of the top 50 most productive marketing scholars worldwide by the DocSig of the American Marketing Association. She is a MSI Young Scholar designated by the Marketing Science Institute, is the winner of the 2008 Davidson Honorable Mention Award for the Best article in Journal of Retailing 2006 (Volume 82), and was awarded a best paper of the Overall Conference and Best paper for the Consumer Behavior Track at the American Marketing Association Summer Educators Conference (2007). Among the many awards she has received are the Outstanding Marketing Teacher at the University of Georgia, the University of Georgia's Top 10 Professors award, and, the LeRoy and Lucille Melcher Faculty Excellence in Research Award by the Bauer College of Business. She has edited a special issue on Aesthetics for the Journal of Consumer Psychology in 2010. She is also on the editorial board of the Journal of Consumer Research and the Journal of Consumer Psychology. Dr. Patrick has been a columnist for the international news outlet Hindustan Times (circulation 1.2 million). She has been featured on ABC News and NPR as an expert in the area of self-control. In addition her research has been widely featured in major news outlets like the LA Times, Forbes, Huffington Post, Scientific American and Yahoo! News. Prior to her academic career, Vanessa Patrick worked in advertising and brand consultancy for multinational agencies like Ogilvy and Mather and J. Walter Thompson whose clients include DeBeers Consolidated Mines, Kimberly-Clark, Unilever, L'oreal and Bacardi. She has also worked as a consultant to companies like the Coca-Cola Company, CNN and Hallmark.
- Affect (mood and emotions)
- Art and Aesthetics
- Self control
- Luxury marketing
Areas of Expertise
- Consumer Behavior
- Meert Katrien, Mario Pandelaere and Vanessa M. Patrick (2014), "Taking a Shine to It: How the Preference for Glossy stems from an innate need for water," Journal of Consumer Psychology , 24(2), 195-206.
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick (2014), "Consumer Response to Overstyling: Balancing Aesthetics and Functionality in Product Design," Psychology and Marketing, forthcoming.
- Labrecque, Lauren I., Vanessa M. Patrick and George R. Milne (2013), "The Marketers' Prismatic Palette: A Review of Color Research and Future Directions," Psychology and Marketing, 30(2), 187-202.
- Cheema, Amar and Vanessa M. Patrick (2012), "Influence of Warm versus Cool Temperatures on Consumer Choice: A Resource Depletion Account,"Journal of Marketing Research, forthcoming.
- Patrick, Vanessa M. and Henrik Hagtvedt (2012), "How to Say "No": Conviction and Identity Attributions in Persuasive Refusal," International Journal of Research in Marketing, forthcoming.
- Patrick, Vanessa M. and Henrik Hagtvedt (2012), ""Don't" versus "Can't": Refusal Strategies for Psychological Empowerment," Journal of Consumer Research, 39(2), 371-381.
- Patrick, Vanessa M. and Henrik Hagtvedt (2011), "Aesthetic Incongruity Resolution," Journal of Marketing Research, 48(2), 393-402.
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick (2011), "Turning Art into Mere Illustration: Concretizing Art Renders Its Influence Context Dependent," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, forthcoming.
- Fedorikhin, Sasha and Vanessa M. Patrick (2010), "Positive Mood and Resistance to Temptation: The Interfering Influence of Elevated Arousal," Journal of Consumer Research, 37(4), 698-711.
- Lacey, Simon, Henrik Hagtvedt, Vanessa M. Patrick, Amy Anderson, Randall Stilla, Gopikrishna Deshpande, Xiaoping Hu, Joao R. Sato, Srinivas Reddy, and Krish Sathian (2010), "Art for Reward's Sake: Visual Art activates the Human Ventral Straitum," NeuroImage, 55(1), 420-433.
- Patrick, Vanessa M. and Laura A. Peracchio (2010), ""Curating" the JCP Special Issue on Aesthetics in Consumer Psychology: An Introduction to the Special Issue," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 20(4), 393-397.
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick (2009), "The Broad Embrace of Luxury: The Role of Hedonic Perceptions in the Differential Influence of a Luxury (vs. Value) Brand Concept on Brand Extension Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 19, 608-18.
- Patrick, Vanessa M., Hae Eun Chun and Deborah J. MacInnis (2009), "Affective Forecasting and Self-Control: When Anticipating Pride wins over Anticipating Shame in a Self-regulation context," Journal of Consumer Psychology.
- Patrick, Vanessa M., Matthew Lancellotti and Gustavo De Mello (2009), "Coping with Non-Purchase: Managing the Stress of Inaction Regret" Journal of Consumer Psychology.
- Patrick, Vanessa M., Matthew Lancellotti and Henrik Hagtvedt (2009), "Getting a Second Chance: The Role of Imagery in the Influence of Inaction Regret on Behavioral Intent," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 37 (2) 181-190.
- Labroo, Aparna and Vanessa M. Patrick. "Why Happiness Helps You See the Big Picture." Journal of Consumer Research, 35 (February), 800-809.
- Cheema, Amar and Vanessa M. Patrick. "'Only' versus 'Anytime': The Effect of Restrictive versus Expansive Frames on Promotion Evaluation." Journal of Marketing Research, (August 2008)
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick. "Art Infusion: The Influence of Visual Art on the Perception and Evaluation of Consumer Products." Journal of Marketing Research, (May 2008)
- Hagtvedt, Henrik, Reidar Hagtvedt, and Vanessa M. Patrick. "The Perception and Evaluation of Visual Art." Empirical Studies of the Arts, (July 2008)
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick. "Art and the Brand: The Strategic Role of Art in Enhancing Brand Extendibility." Journal of Consumer Psychology, (forthcoming July 2008)
- Patrick, Vanessa M., Deborah J. MacInnis and C. Whan Park. "Not as Happy as I Thought I'd Be: Affective Misforecasting and Product Evaluations." Journal of Consumer Research, 33, (2007), pp. 479-490.
- MacInnis, Deborah J. and Vanessa M. Patrick. "A Spotlight on Affect: The Role of Affect and Affective Forecasting in Self-Regulation and Impulse Control." Journal of Consumer Psychology, 16, (2006), pp. 224-231.
- Patrick, Vanessa M. and C. Whan Park. "When to Pay? The Role of Transaction-Specific Characteristics and Consumer Motivations in Preferences for Payment Timing." Journal of Retailing, 82, (4)
- Folkes, Valerie S. and Vanessa M. Patrick. "The Positivity Effect in Perceptions of Services: Seen One, Seen Them All?" Journal of Consumer Research, 30, (1), pp. 125-137.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Editorial Board member for Journal of Consumer Research
- Editorial Board member for Journal of Consumer Psychology
- Co-chair (Working Paper track) for Association of Consumer Research Conference 2012, Vancouver
- Editor for Special Issue of JCP: Aesthetics 2011
- Program Committee for Society of Consumer Psychology Conference 2010, 2011, 2012
- Program Committee for Association of Consumer Research Conference 2009
PhD, Marketing, U. of Southern California
MBA, Marketing, Bombay University
BSc., Microbiology & Biochemistry, St. Xavier's College (Bombay)