Dean, College of Business
Latha Ramchand is Dean and Professor of Finance at the C. T. Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston. Her previous roles at Bauer include Associate Dean of Programs and Administration, where she was responsible for oversight of all the college's academic programs, and Associate Dean of Graduate and Professional Programs, where she led faculty and staff serving in Master of Business Administration (MBA), Executive MBA Master of Science in Accountancy, Master of Science in Finance, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and a variety of professional programs, including Energy Certificate Programs.
Ramchand teaches in the areas of Corporate and International Finance and Risk Management. She received her Ph.D. in finance at Northwestern University where she attended the Kellogg Graduate School of Management. She is a gold medalist in Economics from Bombay University where she graduated with a master's degree in Economics. Professor Ramchand has taught in the MBA programs at the Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, the University of Houston and the Indian School of Business.
Ramchand is a noted expert and speaker on several topics, including international and corporate finance, energy education, corporate governance and leadership, global business, energy and the economy, and women in leadership.
She has won several awards for her publications, including Best Paper Award in International Finance from the Financial Management Association. Ramchand has also been recognized for her teaching, receiving the 2012 Executive MBA MidCon Teaching Excellence Award and the UH Faculty Excellence Proclamation awarded by the Houston City Council (1995), among other honors. Her publications have appeared in prestigious finance journals, and she has presented her work at various national and international conferences. She is a CFA charter holder and is a member of the Houston Society for Financial Analysts. Ramchand worked in the banking industry prior to joining academia.
- International Asset Pricing Models
- Global Equity Issues
- Home Bias in Portfolio Composition
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance and Leadership
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate Finance
- International Finance
- "Takeovers, Monitoring and International Corporate Governance", (with P. Kumar), forthcoming, Rand Journal of Economics
- "Coming to America: IPOs from Emerging Market Issuers", (with R. Bruner and S.Chaplinsky), Emerging Markets Review, Volume 7, Issue 3, September 2006
- "Does the method of entry matter: Evidence from Indian ADRs and GDRs", (with M.Kalimipalli), Pacific Basin Finance Journal, September 2006
- "The Underpricing of Equity IPOs that Follow Debt IPOs" (with K. Cai and A. Warga), Financial Management, 2003.
- "U.S.-Bound IPOs: Entry Costs and Market Selectivity" (with B. Robert and S. Chaplinksy), Financial Management, 2003.
- "The Impact of SEC Rule 144A on Corporate Debt Issuance by International Firms" (with S. Chaplinksy), Journal of Business
- "The Impact of Global Equity Offerings" (with S. Chaplinksy), (2000), Journal of Finance, Vol 55, pp 2767-2790.
- "Changes in systematic risk following global equity issuance" (with P. Sethapakdi), (2000), Journal of Banking and Finance, 24, pp 1491-1513.
- "Variances and Covariances of International Stock Returns: The International CAPM Revisited" (with R. Susmel) 1998, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Vol.8, No.1, pp 39-58.
- "Volatility and Cross Correlation in Global Equity Markets" (with R. Susmel) 1998, Journal of Empirical Finance, Volume 5, No.4, October 1998, pp 397-416.
- "Asset pricing in international markets in the context of agent heterogeneity and market incompleteness", forthcoming, Journal of International Money and Finance, 1999, 18, 871-890.
- "Changes in Liquidity Following Exposure to Foreign Shareholders: The Effect of Foreign Listings and Issues of American Depositary Receipts by Indian Firms" (with M. Kalimipalli), 2001, National Stock Exchange India Limited.
- "Differences in Accounting Standards and Ease of Entry into the U.S. Market: A Survey of Foreign Films Raising Equity in the U.S." (with S. Khumawalla), 2002, Public Funds Digest, Vol II, No. 1, 68-84.
- "Country Level Corruption and Frequency of Issue in th U.S. Market" (with S. Khumawalla), Journal of Public Budgeting, Accountability and Financial Management.
- No Web Site Currently
- 6335, Corporate Finance and 7360, International Finance