Professor - C.T. Bauer Professor of Decision and Information Sciences
Wynne Chin joined the faculty at the University of Houston in the fall of 1997. He received his doctorate from the University of Michigan in Computers and Information Systems, M.S. in chemical engineering (biomedical option) from Northwestern University, MBA from the University of Michigan, and a bachelors in biophysics from U.C. Berkeley.
Dr. Chin's substantive interests include modeling the individual IT adoption process, end-user satisfaction, and developing group process measures such as cohesion, satisfaction, and consensus to understand the impact of electronic meeting systems. More recently, he has begun work on cross-cultural analysis. His research is largely empirical and quantitative relying on lab and Monte Carlo experiments as well as surveys. Methodologically Dr. Chin focuses on construct development through the use of structural equation modeling (both covariance-based and partial least squares) as well as developing new causal modeling techniques for topics such as assessing interaction effects.
Dr. Chin is well published in both IS journals such as Information Systems Research , Journal of MIS, and MIS Quarterly as well as statistical journals such as Multivariate Behavioral Research and Structural Equation Modeling. Wynne's research has received over 17,000 citations, earned a Google Scholar H index of 40 and he is ranked third worldwide in first authored articles published in his discipline's top two journals - MISQ and ISR from 1990 through 2012.
Dr. Chin brings recognition to UH as one of the foremost exponents of the Partial Least Squares Path Modeling technique with his freely shared PLS-Graph software (beginning in 1990) used by 8000+ researchers worldwide and served as conference chair of the 2012 International PLS conference. Going beyond the IS discipline, he is credited as keeping the PLS research community afloat during the 1990s before its reemergence among statisticians in 1999 and has published two books on this methodology (2010, 2013). He also received a World Class University Professor designation in conjunction with Sogang University in South Korea, Visiting Fellow appointments at the Australian School of Business, University of Canterbury, Queens University, and City University of Hong Kong, and recognized by the PhD Project as a member of the Circle of Compadres for his years of service mentoring the minority PhD student community.
- Individual IT adoption-implementation process
- IT Project management Success
- Performance based indices/metrics
- End-user/customer IT service satisfaction
- IT employee job satisfaction/turnover
- Developing group process measures such as cohesion, satisfaction, and consensus to understand the impact of electronic meeting systems
- Cross-cultural analysis
- Predictive analytics
- Component based structural equation modeling
Areas of Expertise
- Survey item scale construction
- Partial Least Squares (component based) structural equation models
- IT service satisfaction
- Selected publications for past 10 years
- Chin, W. W., Thatcher, J. B., & Wright, R. T. (2012). Assessing Common Method Bias: Problems with the UMLC Technique, MIS Quarterly, 36(3), 1003-1019.
- Marcoulides, G. A., Chin, W. W., & Saunders, C. (2012). When Imprecise Statistical Statements Become Problematic: A Response to Goodhue, Lewis and Thompson, MIS Quarterly, 36(3), 717-728.
- Dibbern, J., Chin, W. W., Heinzl, A. (2012). Systemic Determinants of the Information Systems Outsourcing Decision: A Comparative Study Of German And United States Firms, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 13(6), lead article, 466-497.
- Pena-Vinces, J., Cepeda-Carrion, G., & Chin, W. W. (2012). Effect of ITC On The International Competitiveness of Firms, Management Decision, 50(6), 1045-1061.
- Chin, W. W., Junglas, I., & Roldan, J. L. (2011). Some Considerations for Articles Introducing New and/or Novel Quantitative Methods to IS Researchers, European Journal of Information Systems, 25, 1-5.
- Henseler, J. & Chin, W. W. (2010). A Comparison of Approaches for the Analysis of Interaction Effects Between Latent Variables Using Partial Least Squares Path Modeling, Structural Equation Modeling Journal, 17(1), pp. 82-109. (SEM journal has an ISI web of knowledge 5 year average citation impact factor of 5.113)
- Nemanich, L., Keller, R., Vera, D., & Chin, W. W. (2010). Absorptive Capacity in R&D Project Teams: A Conceptualization and Empirical Test, IEEE Transaction on Engineering Management,74(4), 674-688.
- Chin, W. W. (2010). Bootstrap Cross-Validation Indices For PLS Path Model Assessment. In V. E.Vinzi, W. W. Chin, J. Henseler & H. Wang ( Eds.), Handbook of Partial Least Squares Concepts, Methods and Applications, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 83-97.
- Chin, W. W. & Dibberns, J. (2010). A Permutation Based Procedure for Multi-Group PLS Analysis: Results of Tests of Differences on Simulated Data and a Cross Cultural Analysis of the Sourcing of Information System Services Between Germany and the USA, In V. E.Vinzi, W. W. Chin, J. Henseler & H. Wang ( Eds.), Handbook of Partial Least Squares Concepts, Methods and Applications, 171-193.
- Chin, W. W. (2010). How to Write Up and Report PLS Analyses. In V. E.Vinzi, W. W. Chin, J. Henseler & H. Wang ( Eds.), Handbook of Partial Least Squares Concepts, Methods and Applications, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 650-690.
- Sundie, J. M., Ward, J. C., Beal, D. J., Chin, W. W., & Geiger-Oneto, S. (2009). Schadenfreude as a Consumption-Related Emotion: Feeling Happiness about the Downfall of Another's Product, Journal of Consumer Psychology, 19(3), pp. 356-373.
- Marcoulides, G. A., Chin, W. W., Saunders, C. (2009). A Critical Look at Partial Least Squares Modeling, MIS Quarterly, 33(1), 171-175.
- Johnson, N., Cooper, R., & Chin, W. W. (2009). Anger And Flaming In Computer-Mediated Negotiation Among Strangers, Decision Support Systems, 46(3), 660-672.
- Chin, W. W., Schwarz, A., & Johnson, N. (2008). A Fast Form Approach to Measuring Technology Acceptance and Other Constructs, MIS Quarterly, 32(4), 687-703.
- Chin, W. W., Peterson, R. A., Brown, S. P. (2008). Structural Equation Modeling in Marketing: Some Practical Reminders, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 16(4), 287-298.
- Johnson, N. A., Cooper, R. B., & Chin, W. W. (2008). The Effect of Flaming on Computer-Mediated Negotiations, European Journal of Information Systems, 17(4), 417-435.
- Salisbury, W. D., Parent, M., & Chin, W. W. (2008). Robbing Peter To Pay Paul: The Differential Effect Of GSS Restrictiveness On Process Satisfaction And Group Cohesion, Group Decision and Negotiation, 17(4), 303-321.
- Chin, Wynne W. and Andrew Schwarz. "Looking Forward: Toward an Understanding of the Nature and Definition of IT Acceptance." (JAIS) Journal of the Association of Information Systems. 
- Chin, Wynne W. and A. M Wicks. "Measuring the Three Process Segments of a Customer's Service Experience for an Outpatient Surgery Center." International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance. 
- Chin, Wynne W., M. Parent, and W.D. Salisbury. "Robbing Peter To Pay Paul: The Differential Effect Of GSS Restrictiveness On Process Satisfaction And Group Cohesion, Group Decision and Negotiation." Group Decision and Negotiation. 
- Chin, Wynne W., Andrew Schwarz, Manjari Mehta, and Norman Johnson. "Understanding Frameworks and Reviews: A Commentary to Assist us in Moving Our Field Forward by Analyzing Our Past." The Data Base for Advances in Information Systems. 
- Chin, Wynne W., A. Majchrak, C. Beath, R. Lim. "Managing Client Dialogues During Information Systems Design to Facilitate Client Learning." MIS Quarterly. 
- Goles, T. & Chin, W. W. (2005). Information Systems Outsourcing Relationship Factors: Detailed Conceptualization and Initial Evidence. The Data Base for Advances in Information Systems, 36(4), 47-67.
- Taylor, D. S. & Chin, W. W. (2004). Understanding IS Worker Turnover Decisions: Is It Job Satisfaction or Job Fit with Quality of Life Goals. Academy of Information and Management Sciences Journal, 7(2), 105-114. Recipient of the Allied Academics Distinguished Research Award.
- Limayem, M., Khalifa, M., & Chin, W. W. "Factors Motivating Software Piracy: A Longitudinal Study", Volume 51/4, pp. 414-425, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 
- Limayem, M., Khalifa, M., and Chin, W.W. "CASE Tools Usage and Impact on System Development Performance", Vol. 14 pp. 153-174, Organizational Computing & Electronic Commerce, Journal of, 
- Brown, S. P. & Chin, W. W. "Satisfying and Retaining Customers through Independent Service Representatives.", Vol. 35/3 pp. 527-550, Decision Sciences, 
- Schwarz, A., Junglas, I. A, Krotov, V., & Chin, W. W. "Exploring the Role of Experience and Compatibility in Using Mobile Technologies", Vol. 2 pp. 337-356, Information Systems and e-Business Management, 
- Chin, W. W., Marcolin, B. L., & Newsted, P. R "A Partial Least Squares Latent Variable Modeling Approach For Measuring Interaction Effects: Results From A Monte Carlo Simulation Study And Electronic Mail Emotion/Adoption Study", Volume 14/2, pp. 189-217, Information Systems Research, 
- Chin, W. W , Salisbury, W. D.,.Gopal, A., & Newsted, P. "Authors' Reply: When Should Data Overrule Theory In Scale Development?", Volume 14/4, pp. 360-363, Information Systems Research, 
- Taylor, D.S., Goles, T., and Chin, W.W. "Measuring Student Learning: An Empirical Solution With Implications For Is Education And Beyond", Volume 1/2, pp. 41-52, Abacus, 
- Salisbury, W.D., Chin, W.W., Gopal, A., and Newsted, P.R. "Better Theory Through Measurement: Developing A Scale To Capture Consensus On Appropriation", Volume 13/1, pp. 91-103, Information Systems Research, 
- Jones, E., Sundaram, S., and Chin, W.W. "Factors Leading to Sales Force Automation Use: A Longitudinal Analysis", Volume 22/3, pp. 145-156, Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 
- Reinartz, W., Echambadi, R., and Chin, W.W. "Generating Non-Normal Data for Stimulation of Structural Equation Models Using Mattson's Method", Volume 37/2, pp. 227-244, Multivariate Behavioral Research, 
- H. Abdi, W. W. Chin, V. E. Vinzi, G. Russolillo, & L. Trinchera (Editors). New Perspectives in Partial Least Squares and Related Methods, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics (Book 56), Berlin: Springer-Verlag ,ISBN-13: 978-1461482826 
- V. E.Vinzi, W. W. Chin, J. Henseler & H. Wang (Editors). Handbook of Partial Least Squares Concepts, Methods and Applications in Marketing and Related Fields. Springer Verlag. 
University of Michigan
University of Michigan