Steven P. Brown is Bauer Professor of Marketing. Professor Brown has previously served on the marketing faculties of Southern Methodist University and the University of Georgia. He has also taught at the University of Texas at Austin, where he received his Ph.D. in marketing in 1990.
Professor Brown's research interests focus on identifying ways of building and sustaining competitive advantage through effective sales and service organizations. His research has investigated how organizational climate and managerial leadership motivate and facilitate the efforts of front-line sales and service personnel, and how these, in turn, impact customer satisfaction and organizational performance. Other research interests include customer-perceived service quality and satisfaction, buyer-seller relationships, consumer information processing and decision making, and methods of meta-analysis. His research has been published in leading marketing and psychology journals, such as the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research, Psychological Bulletin, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, among others.
He has been recognized by the Journal of Marketing Education as one of the most productive scholars in the field of marketing during the 1990s. He is a past winner of the Jagdish N. Sheth Award for the best article in the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science and has won many other research accolades from the institutions he has served. He serves on the editorial review boards of the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science and Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, and is a member of the Advisory Board of the Social Science Research Network's Managerial Marketing journal. He served as a member of the editorial review board of the Journal of Marketing from 1996 – 2002.
Prior to his academic career, he worked as Regional Sales Manager for Latin America for the Wadsworth International Group of Belmont, California, where he was responsible for sales and distribution throughout Latin America. He also served as a top-producing sales representative for Science Research Associates of Chicago.
- Sales force motivation and performance
- Service quality
- The relationship between employee job attitudes and performance and customer satisfaction
- Prediction/explanation of sales/service performance and work atttitudes
- Organizational buying behavior
- Relationship marketing
- "The Attenuating Effect of Role Overload on Relationships Linking Self-Efficacy and Goal Level to Work Performance," Co-authored with Eli Jones and Thomas W. Leigh, Journal of Applied Psychology, forthcoming.
- "Good Cope, Bad Cope: Adaptive and Maladaptive Coping Following Loss of a Major Sale," Co-authored with Robert A. Westbrook and Goutam Challagalla, Journal of Applied Psychology, forthcoming.
- "Satisfying and Retaining Customers Through Independent Service Representatives," Co-authored with Wynne Chin, Decision Sciences, forthcoming.
- "On the Use of Beta Coefficients in Meta-Analysis," with Robert A. Peterson, Journal of Applied Psychology, forthcoming.
- "Self-Efficacy as a Moderator of Information-Seeking Effectiveness," co-authored with Shankar Ganesan and Goutam Challagalla, Journal of Applied Psychology, 86 (October 2001), 1043-1051.
- "An Integrated Model of Feedback-Seeking Behavior: Disposition, Context, and Cognition," Journal of Applied Psychology, co-authored with Don VandeWalle, Shankar Ganesan, and Goutam Challagalla, 85, (December 2000), 996-1003.
- "The Influence of Goal Orientation and Self-Regulation Tactics on Sales Performance: A Longitudinal Field Test," Co-authored with Don VandeWalle, John W. Slocum, Jr., and William L. Cron, Journal of Applied Psychology, 84, (April 1999), 249-259.
- "Effects of Trait Competitiveness and Perceived Intraorganizational Competition on Salesperson Goal Setting and Performance," Co-authored with William L. Cron and John W. Slocum, Jr., Journal of Marketing, 62, (October 1998), 88-98.
- "A Meta-Analysis of Relationships Between Ad-Evoked Feelings and Responses to Advertising," Co-authored with Pamela M. Homer and J. Jeffrey Inman, Journal of Marketing Research, 35, (February 1998), 114-126.
- "Effects of Goal-Directed Emotions on Salesperson Volitions, Behavior, and Performance: A Longitudinal Study," Co-authored with William L. Cron and John W. Slocum, Jr., Journal of Marketing, 61 (January 1997), 39-50.
- "A Meta-Analysis and Review of Organizational Research on Job Involvement," Psychological Bulletin, 120 (September 1996), 235-255.
- "A New Look at Psychological Climate and Its Relationship to Job Involvement, Effort, and Performance," Journal of Applied Psychology, Co-authored with Thomas W. Leigh. 81 (August 1996), 358-368.
- "The Moderating Effects of Insupplier/Outsupplier Status on Organizational Buyer Attitudes," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 23 (Summer 1995), 170-181.
- "An Exploratory Investigation of Voice Characteristics and Selling Effectiveness," Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 15 (Winter 1995), 1-13. Co-authored with Robert A. Peterson and Michael P. Cannito.
- "The Effects of Effort on Salesperson Performance and Job Satisfaction," Journal of Marketing, 58 (April 1994), 70-80. Co-authored with Robert A. Peterson.
- "Do Feelings of Success Mediate Sales Performance - Work Attitude Relationships?" Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 21, (Spring 1993), 91-100. Co-authored with William L. Cron and Thomas W. Leigh.
- "Antecedents and Consequences of Salesperson Job Satisfaction: Meta-Analysis and Assessment of Causal Effects," Journal of Marketing Research. 30 (February 1993), 63-77. Co-authored with Robert A. Peterson.
- "Antecedents and Consequences of Attitude Toward the Ad: A Meta-Analysis." Journal of Consumer Research, 19 (June 1992), 34-51. Co-authored with Douglas M. Stayman.
- "Effects of Advertised Customer Satisfaction Claims on Consumer Attitudes and Purchase Intentions," Journal of Advertising Research, 32 (March 1992), 34-40. Co-authored with Robert A. Peterson and William R. Wilson.
- "Use of Closed Influence Tactics by Salespeople: Incidence and Buyer Attributions," Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 17 (November 1990), 17-30.
- "Effects of Brand Awareness on Choice for a Common, Repeat-Purchase Product," Journal of Consumer Research, 17 (September 1990), 141-148. Co-authored with Wayne D. Hoyer.
- Brown, Steven P. and Son Lam. "A Meta-Analysis Linking Employee Satisfaction to Customer Responses," Journal of Retailing. [forthcoming]
- Brown, Steven P., Wynne W. Chin and Robert A. Peterson. "Structural Equation Modeling in Marketing: Some Practical Reminders," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice. [forthcoming]